Tuesday, May 13, 2008
A Comfortable Home
Most of us have our favorite comfort foods--why not have the design counterpart for our homes? Again, I am inspired by places in the UK (where, I just heard, a Diet Coke is 5 pounds--so when I go, I suppose I will lap water from the Thames).
Here's my shortlist:
1. Afghans and throws
2. A thick down mattress cover and down pillows
3. Aubusson pillows on the sofa
4. English rooms always seem to have dogs and cats sleeping in a patch of sunlight
5. A bowl filled with rocks from places you've been
6. Candles, preferably orange-scented Trapp.
7. Photographs in a glass bowl rather than albums--rotate them, or pick out the photo du jour.
8. A kitchen cabinet filled with tea and coffee supplies: mismatched mugs on a wicker tray; whole coffee beans in an airtight jar; teabags tied with ribbon.