I always dread these lists, because without fail, they make me feel like the girl in the back of the classroom who eats her hair. So I decided to make up my own list of "ins/outs."
Decorating Trends for 2009: What's In & Out?
- Feathers -- Real birds have feathers. And birds don't go out of style. Therefore, feathers are timeless.
- Colors -- trendy colors for 2009 are the colors that are in your house, and these colors will remain trendy and stylish until you decide to start a new trend.
- More is More -- While minimalism is always lovely, 2009 is the year of "more is more." Start a collection or three--salt and pepper shakers, little jugs (see above photo), or dishes. Which brings me to the next "rule."
- 2009 is the year of the Dish. Throw a "Dish Party," and invite your friends to bring a plate, or cup and saucer that they no longer want. Then rework the rules of the game "Bad Santa" and swap up the plates!
- Silk flowers are chic, and so are plastic ones (see below)
- In 2009, it will be trendy to arrange your accessories in EVEN numbers. So, the old 3, 5, 7, 9 rule has been trendified to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...all the way up to the 100s (see "More is More")
Happy New Year,