Welcome to the 1st Foodie Friday at Gollum's. Already, Blogland is filled with delicious smells. I can't wait for the Potluck to begin! Yesterday, I set the table in preparation for the no cook, low carb, no fuss Chicken Salad dinner.
Of all my dishes, I love my white ironstone best. Here, I've mixed the Baroque with V&B's Allegro. I couldn't find a humongous platter, so for the main dish, I used the base of the floral tureen.
Next, I added napkins. The napkin rings are from K-Mart, and they have delicate beading around the edges.
Napkins by April Cornell for Danica (100% cotton)
I put nuts into the tiny dish in the upper left hand corner. If you're like me, you prefer extra pecans with your chicken salad.
Ironstone lends itself to layering.
Okay, enough Dish Pontificating. We're here to eat, drink, and be extremely merry. It's time to cook, or, as it happens today, time to garnish the storebought food.
I often serve iced tea in wineglasses. Somehow it tastes better, and the ice makes a pleasing sound as it clinks against the thin glass, reminding me of windchimes.
For the main dish, I bought a deli roasted chicken and made chicken salad.
Coral servers by Mariposa
My mother always says when you buy a deli chicken, the secret is to garnish like mad. So that's what I did.
It took under five minutes to make the chicken salad and the garnish. One time my mother timed me. She can do it in under 4 minutes, and she will turn 81 in a few days.
- 1 deli roasted chicken (skin removed, meat cut into messy chunks) mayonnaise (I used 2 T mayonnaise and a tiny bit of fresh lemon juice, between 1/4 and 1/8 teaspoon.
- toasted pecans (1/4 c, reserving some for garnish)
- chopped celery and onion (I like my salad crunchy, so I used 1/4 c)
- 1 scant teaspoon No Sugar Added relish, or dill relish
- garnish with Italian parsley, lemons, tomatoes, 1 million lettuce leaves, cucumber slices
- salt and pepper
Low-Carb Finger sandwiches
- Healthy Life high fiber bread, 6 net carbs/35 calories per slice
- Duke's Mayo (0 carbs)
- Italian parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers
- Hungarian paprika (sprinkle over finger sandwiches)
- assorted cookie cutters
Dr. Gollum was getting antsy at this point.
For a side dish, I made a simple fruit bowl--blueberries and raspberries--with a squirt of lemon juice, then I lined the bowl with lemon slices.
My mother adds Splenda to her fruit--and Grand Marnier. Talk about sublime.
Super Fast, Semi-low carb Espresso Cream Puffs
- Siljans Croustades Crispy Shells (serving size 8 shells, 3 servings per container, 7 carbs per serving (I'm loving this--if the math is wrong, PLEASE don't tell me. ;-)
- Redi-whip extra creamy (extra creamy has <1>
- espresso powder (grind espresso beans or buy tiny package of espresso powder)
Squirt whipped cream into shells, garnish with little sprinkles of espresso powder. Simple! (Eat immediately--these do not like to be made ahead of time...the Redi-whip will deflate.)
While you all are here, I wanted you all to see the pond. When the light hits just right, it's dazzling.
A note about Mr. Linky:
If you'd like to participate in Foodie Friday, add your permalink blog entry (after you post your entry, click on the title, then cut and paste the link) and your name/blog name to Mr. Linky.
See you at the table!