Monday, May 4, 2009

Two Simple Raspberry Desserts for Mother's Day


Who can resist a dessert with raspberries? Not me. (Although, come to think of it, I can't resist anything edible.) Last year, the raspberries grew wild along our fence, and more went into my mouth than into my basket.


Raspberries are a dieter's best friend. Not only are they low calorie and reasonably low-carb, they are a decent source of vitamins A and C--with a dash of calcium. You can read about them
HERE.


Yesterday, I bought fresh raspberries, and I immediately began playing in the kitchen.

Disaronno Delight
  • fresh raspberries
  • sugar
  • lemon juice
  • Disaronno Italian liqueur
  • whipped cream

Wash raspberries. Toss with granulated sugar (to taste) and a tiny jolt of lemon juice, not quite 1/8 t. Place raspberries in a glass. Pour Disaronno (or your favorite liqueur) over berries--as much (or little) as you like.

This is not the moment to add Splenda. Throw caution to the wind.

Whip heavy cream, add sugar to taste. Generous dollops of cream MUST be added to the berries. It's mandatory.

If you are feeling very, very decadent, feel free to add another dollop.

The raspberries cried out for red polka dot plates.






Raspberry Clouds

  • 1 cup fresh raspberries
  • 1-5 T.sugar
  • scant 1/8 t. lemon juice
  • Meringue (using a mixer, beat 6 egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form--add a tiny pinch of salt and Cream of Tartar, plus sugar to taste).

Toss sugar and berries. Spoon berries into a serving bowl/glass. Set aside. Place generous dollops of meringue puffs on baking pan. Broil. Place on top of raspberries.

This is such a fresh, simple dessert. If you are watching calories, toss the berries with Splenda. Use Splenda in the meringue, too.

Butterfly napkin ring, Jay Strongwater.
Striped napkin by April Cornell, "Calais."

China with gold rim, "Tuxedo" by Lenox
Red polka dot china, by Rosanna


If yall are wondering why the print is so BIG it's because I losted my reading glasses while tablescaping for Tablescape Thursday,

and I had to use the tricksy font gadget. (Later, I found the glasses behind the draperies. I suspect Mister was involved.)

26 comments:

  1. Looks decadent! Could it taste even better?
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! Yes, they look beautiful in the green glass ware - I love raspberries.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both desserts -- and mostly healthy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Mister has been helping you again! I can relate to losing glasses. I've found them outside a couple of times... that's what I get for taking them off before watering. Too many senior moments to remember where I put them.

    Love the raspberry ideas, especially with the meringue! ☺ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. * Sooooo, beauuutiful desserts (that are NOT decadently fattening!?!?)are served up in absolutely stunning crystal/glassware (w/ ooooodles n' ooooodles of flair!) by a "pretty- but-glassless" fabulous writer/cook/baker AND photographer, and you STILL say "Awww, there's nothing TO it!"??? Holy Guacamole, girlfriend~~~ you ARRRRE "the ma'am"!!! DELICIOUS!!!Healthy hugs & many thanks! XO, Linda (n' Belle, too!) *

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Gollum you may add SSS to your side bar and that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
    Now on this Mother's day dessert,
    I had raspberries on my cereal this morning but it didn't look this delicious. Love the doggie in the bowl. I just knew that dish was a lenox. Beautiful and did I miss the post on the green dishes? I went back and couldn't find the information on them?
    blossom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being of a "certain" age myself...I'm totally lovin' the large font(: Yummy desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy wow! I love raspberries to begin with, but I can imagine the liquor and whipped cream make them even more divine! (Dashing out to get the items to make this!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They both look yumalicious and the beautiful dishes...glasses? Whatever, they took my breath~
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to enjoy trying those without any liquor. But I do love Kern's nectar drinks so I'll use those and steep some raspberries in it! Your martini glass is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy, raspberries will be a few weeks here till we have local ones at our roadside vegi stands here. Looks great!~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suspect that, when you put your china back in its regular storage spot, you put your glasses up with the china. Your print doesn't look big to me! Of course, have you seen the print I use on my blog? I need BIG! Those desserts look so pretty. You are so creative with your food and your serving pieces for your food. (Love the polka dot plates! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Raspberries just make me say "AHHHHHH", they are SOOO good, always! I LOVE your 2 desserts and the fact that they are so healthy and LOW CAL! How good is THAT???? Now, keep the large font, it is terrific...IMHO:):) Hugs, Pinky PS, you just keep on amazing me GF. I have no clue how you do all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got me droolin' here. I think I'll have Jacob drive me over to the grocery store. After that trip, I may need the Disaronno Delight. So who took Bandwith out driving - you or Dr. Gollum? ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. * OKAY, OKAY, I wasn't going to ASK because am sure you got "the last one" available, but GG, where DID you find that precious pup-in-the-bowl?????? Sooooo DEEEEEELIGHTFUL!!! XOXO, Linda *

    ReplyDelete
  16. ***** P.S. I vote for the "BIG LETTERS" too please, like my OTHER girlfriends!!!!!!!!*****

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I am the only human who does not care for raspberries, but after looking at this I may give it one more try:) and it is perfect on those polka dot plates!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Robyn, Bandwith went solo.

    Linda, the spotted pups (yes! there is another one!) were bought at my hangout, the antique mall.

    The green Depression glass...bought here and there, over the last 30 years. Nothing matches, yet it all goes together. That's why I love it.

    I made a sherbet "bombe" but I haven't had time to take a picture. I saw it on the Barefoot Contessa. It has three layers. Oh,, my!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Raspberries are my favorite fruit! Anything with raspberries I will try..did a copy and paste already! Love the dishes too!!

    Hope you will be able to stop by this weekend and post for my Mothers Day event!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are the most yummiest recipes and look so summery.

    The Raggedy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Not only do both of these desserts look delicious, but once again, your photography just astounds me. I think you're a real witch for not giving me any tips or secrets though. I feel soooooooooooo unloved. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  22. I passed up some great-looking raspberries on sale at the store yesterday because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them... Not smart! I'm particularly in love with anything related to meringue. What a great idea! Love all your dishes, too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lori, I lowered the rack in my oven and browned the meringue directly in the glass. Very risky, indeed, considering my Fire Bug status.

    Justine, LOL. Ain't no secret keeping going on! I just take pictures in daylight!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh, this looks amazing. I know it would make my mother's day to eat this with a cup of coffee! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look absolutely delicious! Thanks for the idea...and the Sugar Rush!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails