Sunday, December 27, 2009

Dealing With Leftovers: Turkey Pot Pie

The French know what to do with leftovers--add cream sauce and wrap in puff pastry.
Me, I've been known to leave side dishes in the fridge until they resemble Chia pets. It's the truth. I have the best of intentions but then I get busy writing and before I can say Jack Frost, my ice box has become a bio-hazard.
But this Christmas, Bandwidth and I decided to take leftovers and turn them into a savory pie.

Smoked Turkey Pot Pie
chopped, pre-cooked turkey
green peas, pre-cooked
glazed carrots, pre-cooked 
sauteed mushrooms
finely chopped onions and celery (sautee)

flour, butter, chicken stock (quantities depend on how much turkey and leftover veggies you have, and the size of your casserole--start with 2 T of butter and flour. "Eyeball" the stock--it's hard to mess this up! I don't measure; I add a few tablespoons at a time until the sauce is the way I like it).

1 chicken bouillon cube
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 package puff pastry, thawed
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, gray French sea salt
Saute onions and celery; add mushrooms. Set aside. In a separate saute pan, melt butter (I used 1/2 stick) and a glob (I used 2 T.) of all purpose flour. Blend well.
Slowly add chicken stock and bouillon to pan. Whisk. Aim for the consistency of a store-bought pot pie--not too thick, not runny.
Sprinkle flour over puff pastry sheets (there are only 2 sheets in a package) and roll out (again, choose your own thickness). Place 1 sheet into the bottom of a baking dish. Trim the edges of puff pastry and set aside. (You can roll these out and cut them with a cookie cutter for a cute "topper" on the crust.)
 
Add turkey/leftover vegetable mixture to the baking dish-put on the bottom layer of the puff pastry. Pour cream sauce over the leftovers and stir. Add a bit more sauce, if you like (depending on the consistency you want). Stir.
Top the veggie/turkey mixture with the second puff pastry sheet. Trim the edges, crimp (or fold), and score with a knife.
Garnish with leftover pastry.
Preheat oven, 400 degrees.
Beat one egg and brush it over the crust.
Place pie in oven and bake 25 minutes or until puffy and brown.
Top with gray French sea salt (we found it at Publix in the spice aisle).
It sounds complicated (and it was for me), but the preparations are so soothing, you will find yourself in a relaxed, Zen-like state.
I thought the cream sauce was the most challenging part; Bandwidth said the pastry was by far the hardest.
The taste is down-home and heart warming; it's true comfort food, the perfect one-pot meal on a cold winter night--and, it's a form of house cleaning.

32 comments:

  1. Typical of the French to come up with such a curiously gourmet dish for their leftovers - it looks utterly delicious. My father's simple soul food pales into insignificance by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pot pies whether leftover or made on purpose but I've not used puff pastry -- only pie pastry! I'll have to try the puff next time. (Ours only seems to be chicken -- as a child my mother made one with leftover roast as well).

    This looks yummy and such an easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GoodMorning Michael Lee~ ~

    Your pie looks wonderful! I do the same with my leftovers but it does not have the same style as your pie. I usually use Bisquick and make a cobbler topping and drop it in small lumps on the top of the pie when it is bubbling and hot and bake it for another 20 minutes uncovered. I'll try yours now and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous. With all the wonderful food and gorgeous pictures you should really consider writing a cookbook or entertaining book. Your photography is stunning.
    Enjoy your Sunday,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more reason to sing the praises of puff pastry. This is the perfect way to use holiday leftovers, so rich and comforting on a winter evening.

    Happy holidays, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds delicious....now if only I had leftover turkey...it'll be HAM and egg omelets for us:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pot pie looks wonderful... the puff pastry really makes it beautiful. I'm like you and hate to stir that cream sauce. If I'm in a TOTALLY lazy mood, I have made it in the microwave: melt the butter, stir in the flour, add milk, microwave for 2 min. then wisk. Keep repeating the 2 min. and wisk until it thickens... maybe 10 min. total. Once you add the other ingredients, you can't tell much difference except your arm doesn't hurt as much.

    We changed to beef at my house this year and I don't think my family will ever let me serve turkey again. Tenderloin is wonderful! And we got a beautiful (and easy) wreath cake from our fav grocery... Publix!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent idea and it is duly

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks good, and of course i love the snowflake~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute post! I have had my share of unintentional science experiments in my frig, also. Love your dish and the turkey pie is perfect for a cold evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful. The crust is golden brown perfect,. Yummy! Hope you and your family continue to enjoy this holiday season...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful. The crust is golden brown perfect,. Yummy! Hope you and your family continue to enjoy this holiday season...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually make a pot pie with leftover turkey myself, but I've never used the puff pastry. It looks so flaky and yummy. I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This pot pie is a work of art! Bandy ~ your destiny may be staring you right in the face....

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh yes, that looks yummy! Looks so much prettier than the one I made after Thanksgiving. I just used a plain ol pie crust, you can bet I will be using the puff pastry next time! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yumlicious, Your pot pie is making me ravenous and as soon as the dude starts his food blog let me know, I want to be his first follower :-), Happy New Year xx Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Puff pastry. Is there anything it doesn't fancy up? I think not.
    I use my turkey leftovers in a curry dish with a cheesy sauce. Uses up the vegetables too. Our favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your Turkey pot pie...it looks so beautiful and yummy. That recipe looks like I have all the ingredients in my pantry and now I know what to do with my left/over turkey. Thank you for sharing that recipe.....and great photo.
    .....have a Happy new year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks heavenly! I love pot pies on cold nights -- and the smell of them cooking reminds me of my childhood. I've just ordered 4 of your books from Amazon -- guess what I'll be doing for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The snowflake is perfect! Great sounding recipe and the photo is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love potpies! Your potpie is so beautiful! I love the photos and your cooking adventure! I enjoyed making a buche de noel cake this Christmas for a French Christmas brunch theme and it was delicious, but I also had some challenges, and then lightened up a bit and added in some love and creativity and the icing still came out beautiful! ;) I adore your site, luv Jen

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never used puff pastry...I know....never! Now I may have to give it a try, this looks SOOOO good! And your photography is amazing!!!!!!!!! When will the book be out???? XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't have a pub date yet, Pinky. It's fiction, not food, though food is all though it. And people who can't breathe. Whenever I took a hit from my inhaler, I let Teeny, my character, take a hit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL! I love your observation about the French! So true! This looks lovely and delicious! I love the snowflake garnish! I am definitely going to make this, what a fantastic idea to use puff pastry for a pot pie! Much more elegant than pie crust. Is it the kind you would use for like baklava & spanikopita?

    ReplyDelete
  25. your pie looks wonderful....Yes your son need a blog.....can't wait for the new book....let me know when it comes out....thanks for sharing...Pat H
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is, by far, the most beautiful pot pie I have ever seen! I cook without measuring all the time, though I have gotten much better about it since I started participating in Foodie Friday. This has worked out real well when someone asks me to make something I made before. How many great dishes have been lost because I don't remember what I did, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is, by far, the most beautiful pot pie I have ever seen! I cook without measuring all the time, though I have gotten much better about it since I started participating in Foodie Friday. This has worked out real well when someone asks me to make something I made before. How many great dishes have been lost because I don't remember what I did, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  28. nice post. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Конец лета наступает, депрессуху предвещает
    Собираем чемодан и летим в далекий http://tai.com

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails