Saturday, February 20, 2010

Green Tea Cupcakes


When my husband requested a healthy dessert, I leaped at the opportunity to play Mrs. Frankenstein and whipped up a batch of green tea cupcakes.

I have plenty of green tea from failed weight loss experiments.
Green Tea Cupcakes
1 box Duncan Hines Butter Cake Mix
2/3 c. green tea, cooled
3 eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 c. raisins
1 c. chopped pecans
Mix batter according to directions, substituting tea for water. Fold in (with spoon) raisins and pecans. Pour batter into cupcake tin. Bake 18-20 minutes. Cool. Ice with Green Tea Icing.

Green Tea Icing

confectioners' sugar

green tea

1 drop food coloring

Well, you know me and icing. Oil and water, baby! TRAINWRECKS!
I shall christen them Mac Arthur Park Is Melting in the Dark Muffins. But they are so good. Next time (and I will definitely bake these again), I will add more sugar for a fluffier icing.

The tea added a fresh, light flavor. It cut the sweetness just a little and added depth to the icing. Not only are they delicious, they are laced with antioxidants. My husband has eaten four, and he's just not into cupcakes (as a rule). So, if you are looking for something quick and different (and good for you), try Green Tea Cupcakes.

XXOO

A Note about the beribboned cupcakes: I found the ribbon at Big Lots. It's the Martha Stewart Living brand and comes in a packet of 4--same color, different patterns. I didn't notice it was La Martha till I got home and started baking. BL has a whole bin of ribbons, $1-$3.

25 comments:

  1. I love green tea, and these sound and look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about baking anything with green tea. Thanks for the recipes. These cupcakes should be a real hit for my Tea Party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever, and your presentation is so pretty!
    Happy Birthday! This is one of my favorites! Thank you for sharing with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! Are they are less sweet and maybe a little refreshing? I'll be trying that recipe soon.

    Talk to you soon ;)
    Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delish! I love that the antioxidants are bountiful. :-)
    Thank you for sharing!

    xoxo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweety-u come up with the most fantastic stuff be it tablescape,interiors or food and u have excelled here too right to d minute detail,which i love how u take care of...those little bows on the cuppys cakes et all......
    Love the green tea cakkey-for ur hubby dear with love....sweetttt....
    Have a great day and fantastic happy cheery weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds like a keeper, (said the cupcakeaholic...) I love tea & I love cupcakes - what could ever be wrong with a combination like this! ☺♥☺

    PS You're killing me with your gorgeous food photos on Facebook & sending me running for the fridge. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. You crack me up, Michael. They look gorgeous and I can't wait to see the look on my training clients' faces when I tell them they should eat cupcakes! LOL
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually love how the icing came out more like a glaze and drips down the sides. I also like how you tied them with ribbons, what a lovely way to deliver them to neighbors or as a hostess gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great and I'm going to try them. Your blog is beautiful and such a great presentation on those cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color was spectacular... what a sweet green!!!! Sounds like a great way to make a mix special too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love how that 2/3 cup of tea negates the cake mix, butter, eggs and nuts and makes these good for you. I just love it when that happens. It is right up there with the rule in my house that "samples don't have calories"!

    I'll try these!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the whole idea of green tea in cupcakes! They must have a little 'tang' to them.

    ~ and as always, your commentary leaves me with smiles :)
    ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Gollum,

    I never have any cake mixes in my pantry, :( but I have lots of Green Tea, :) I'd love to try them today, they looks so good.

    I love that Green Pear, green is my favorite color.

    As always, thanks for such a great post.

    Hugs
    'D'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the McArthur Park reference! They look and sound delicious - love green tea and I love cupcakes, so I will have to make them soon. Love the pear you are giving away on FB also!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How do you think the icing would be on a lemon, honey cupcake? I'm feeling spring coming with this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH! A dessert I would actually eat, since I am TRYING to loose weight and haven't had dessert in ages!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thannnnks SO much!!!! XO, PInky

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a blueberry green tea I think I shall try with this recipe for the muffins. Thanks for the yummy recipe...can't wait to try it!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lindsey-it would be divine! If you try it, let me know the results!

    A Touch of Country--I'm going to look for blueberry green tea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband and I LOVE green tea. I can't wait to try these. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you wrapped them so sweetly! you're so charming and I was needing some creative cushion today! I knew I'd find it here ;)
    hugs, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look very interesting! I'm starving right now, so I could dive into a batch! The icing looks sinfully good.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails