Wednesday, February 22, 2012

An Irish Blessing Tablescape

For each petal on the shamrock
This brings a wish your way--
Good health, good luck, and happiness
For today and every day.
                                                                                                 ~Author Unknown

With St. Pat's Day approaching, I'm in a green state of mind. An ivory homespun tablecloth provided a blank canvas for the layered dishes and figural artichokes. On impulse, I added plaid napkins. Then I remembered the pretty iced tea glasses that a blogger friend, Jersey Girl, sent me a few years ago. I paired those glasses with vintage sherbets. 

Small artichoke plates became make-shift vases,
with green flowers and fresh sprigs of mint.
I've collected odd pieces of figural vegetables since I was a bride--some are old, some new. 
Rachael Ray's "Curly-Q" salad plates play peek-a-boo with dotted Spode.
These dishes appeared in a recent tablescape, with a green-and-lilac color scheme.


I tucked shamrocks into an old basket.
May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.
                                                ~Irish Blessing



As city lights twinkled in the distance, I tucked a shamrock under my sweetheart's plate
--for luck, health, and happiness. 
For 'tis green, green, green, where the ruined towers are gray,
And it's green, green, green, all the happy night and day;
Green of leaf and green of sod, green of ivy on the wall,
And the blessed Irish shamrock with the fairest green of all.

                                                                               ~Mary Elizabeth Blake


Tablescaping Notes
Spode Baking Days dinner plates
Rachael Ray "Curly-Q" salad plates, set of 4
Cambridge Green flatware
Napkins--Traders & Co.
Chargers--Available at Amazon, $19.99

30 comments:

  1. Love the greens ..... It looks magical !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw love the butterfly napkin holder adorable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love the colors. Great phots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, so creative. Love it all, especially the veggie dishes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some of the MOST beautiful dishes and glasses I have ever seen. How lucky to be gifted with those gorgeous glasses! Love the artichoke pieces. The plaid napkins tie it all together so beautifully. Love this. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful table. I love your stemware. The artichoke plates and tureen and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post. It is awesome and I love the shamrocks and the Irish quotes.

    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially appreciate the unique and creative ways you have set the table with shamrock. I always love viewing your blog & pictures even if I don't often leave a comment.Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that table looked even better in person! With Spring right around the corner, it's a perfect choice to get us in the mood! How could anyone frown while eating from this tablescape?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, ML, love your artistic take on St. Pat's. The stemware is beautiful! My shamrock is not so healthy looking, maybe it needs a pint to perk it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovin your green scapes, Michael Lee. You are inspiring me to set a green table here at HFTS. ;-)
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is so wonderful. I could spend DAYS here! I love the color combination with the stemware and the napkins. You seem to find just the right touches! Just lovely!
    XO Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning with the shades of green eggplant color. The dishes are too die for and how you found glasses and silverware to match perfectly is amazing!! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday on my blog!

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous tablescape, I love everything about it. The artichokes are such a great touch. Well done, meticulousness photos, too! =) ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now this is the way to do up a St. Patrick's Day table - pure elegance! I love it with the little touch of pink and the fabulous artichokes. Just gorgeous with your ability to add elegance and style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun is that giant artichoke? Love it. I would never think to use that for St. Patty's day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Tablescape!

    I love all your dishes and artichokes.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Aledia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the green plates,beautiful table Joannn

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's like I am seeing a spread from a magazine showcasing beautiful tableware and china...Magnificent in every way...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post! My Dad's mother was Irish, sand although she died before I was born, she left me e a soft spot for all things Irish, and green. Your tablescape is so lovely - I especially like the artichokes - and those glasses and sherbets are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow so beautiful! This is such a fantastic blog all around. Glad I found it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the addition of the plaid echoing the peachy-pink notes in your stems & glaze in your artichokes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the Irish table with a twist of artichokes. The plaid napkin added more color and then bringing in the green glassware and crystal with the pink stems is another compliment. This layering of china is always interesting and makes your lovely photos special. Enjoyed your post and look forward to visiting again! Happy Tea Party! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  24. With St. Patrick's Day just about a Blarney Stone's throw away, it's wonderful to see this! It gets us all in the mood! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So very pretty - just love all of the green, especially the dotted Spode. Also the glasses are just so pretty!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Blessings,
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  26. so pretty, the flatware really sets it all off~

    ReplyDelete
  27. An absolutely beautiful table. I love the colors. I have the same ice tea glasses. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous shades of green all over, ML! I am especially enamored by the polka-dotted Spoke & your beautiful Cambridge flatware. I have very similar vintage sherbets that it would go with perfectly. I think I use them every St. Pat's Day but should get them out more often.

    Very, very pretty table!
    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love all the different greens and that shade of pink is the perfect complement. It's a very cheerful table!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Not a big fan of green, but this looks lovely!!

    ... visiting from Between Naps on The Porch :)

    Greetings from Australia♥

    ReplyDelete