Thursday, February 2, 2012

Romancing the Plate


Part I: Bird-Themed Tablescape
My mother says the secret to tablestyling is simple: one must romance the plate. It's about attraction, feeling the mood, and understanding the subtle nuances of Dishology.

I don't understand all that, so I consulted her about my Valentine's Day tablescape, and she suggested Lenox's "Chirp" dishes.

Bird dishes are perfect. I live on a farm, and when we first moved here, I rarely saw songbirds. However, hawks and buzzards were plentiful. We set out feeders and nailed bluebird houses to the fence posts. It took a while for the word to get out, but now we have cardinals and bluebirds and the occasional mockingbird.
My heart always speeds up when a bluebird perches on the feeder. Meal worms are the bluebird's equivalent of human caviar (or in my case, red velvet cake).

The "Chirp" dishes made a colorful splash on my table.

For the centerpiece, Mother recommended tulips. I bought
2 pots, placed them in a bowl, and tucked moss around the plastic liners.
 Then I began to romance the plate. I shopped the house for turquoise and Red items. Well, I didn't have any luck with turquoise, but I found my Fostoria wedding goblets.

The bird-theme cried out for twig flatware.

And, because this tablescape is matchier than normal (I love odd pieces of white ironstone and ceramic), Mother suggested that I use mismatched napkins. These came mismatched--perfect!



I love the arrows on this napkin.
 
I plucked pink sweetheart roses from a scraggly bouquet and placed them in itty vases.
 
Tablescaping Notes
Dishes-- "Chirp" by Lenox
Chargers -- Waechtersbach (cherry)
Napkins -- "Straight to the Heart" by Flying Needle Gallery
Glassware -- Fostoria Jamestown
Twig Flatware -- I wish I could remember! It's stainless.
White placecard holders/vases: Amazon



Part II: Shopping Tip
I stopped at Big Lots last week and found adorable
"Love" and "Hug" cookies ($1 each). I'm dangerous with icing and couldn't bake these cookies for this price! They'll make sweet gifts for your guests.
 Charger: Horchow
Dinner plate: American Atelier's Baroque
Bread & Butter plate: Adams Ironstone
Flatware: Spode's Woodland


During the drab days of February, red dishtowels add a festive touch in the kitchen. These towels can be found at Publix Grocery and Big Lots. Don't they make cute napkins?
Thanks for stopping by the farm!

A Tablescape Thursday contribution.

13 comments:

  1. Another stunning feast for the eyes!

    Bravo, you!

    Chirp... Must have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful and elegant table! Love the decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds and twigs make this place setting so cheerful! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Pretty!
    Lots of blue jays here, but not blue birds. I have not been to Big Lots in quiet a while - need to check them out.
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this tablescape. It just says something to me, honestly love love love love it!

    You (and with your Mom's wonderful suggestions and quote) put together an exquiste table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Hello!! the plates are the best yet!! You had me at the bird plate! Gorgeous Gorgeous "Scape"! Come on by and link up to Centerpiece Wednesday on my blog and show off your ideas!


    Karin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bird plates are adorable. I love the turquoise and red together. The flat ware is so cute! Great table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenda, Big Lots has St Patrick's stuff out? I joined their club and saved 3dollars. A friend in New Jersey went to her BL and they didn't have the cookies. Hope yours does!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. my. flip. This may be the cutest tablescape I have ever seen!!! I love the silverware. And "Romancing the place?" LOVE IT! :) Thanks for being awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the "Chirp" plates and the twig flatware. Perfect for the Spring that old Punxsutawny Phil said is still 6 weeks away.

    I have my mother's Fostoria (Navarre) and even though I'm missing a few pieces here and there, I truly cherish it.

    The new blog design is beautiful. I'll be back to link up with Foodie Friday later tonight. Thanks for sharing your lovely Valentine's tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael, I love your new blog name and the design. Perfect! Of course, I flipped with this table, I love anything "bird" - the dishes and the flatware are too charming. I have to get over to a Big Lots. There isn't one near where I live. :( xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Chirp table really is beautiful, ML!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly delightful, Michael Lee. Love the Lenox "Chirp" plates. Too cute! It's always a delight to linger at one of your tablescapes! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete