Thursday, March 8, 2012

Butterflies & Sunlight: A Tablescape



Butterflies and Sunlight

A butterfly-strewn tablecloth provided the inspiration for this tablescape. At first, I'd planned to use white dishes, but then I remembered the butterfly plates I'd bought a few years ago at Big Lots. (A previous tablescape is shown HERE. ) 


The tablecloth is cheerful, just the thing to perk up a late winter day.

The square blue dinner plates were Big Lots finds, too. They're layered with an ornate charger, American Atelier "Baroque" pottery, and vintage plates.

The glassware is a mix of modern and vintage.
Years ago, when I spotted these dishes at Big Lots, I almost didn't buy them! My husband was with me, and he kept rolling his eyes. I kept circling back to the shelf, admiring the dishes. There were other patterns, too. At that time, our Big Lots sold a slew of tabletop items from Pier One. I ended up buying four blue dinner plates and four butterfly plates (and orange-and-black Halloween plates). Now I'm sorry I didn't buy more. I was in Big Lots last week, and the shelf that used to hold the close-outs had been filled with paper towels.

Lesson learned: don't go dish hunting with a grumpy guy!

Note: Both dishes are made by Echo Point.
The large, square blue plates are dishwasher/microwave safe, which is a handly thing,
but the butterfly plates are to be used for decorative purposes only. I didn't want to tempt fate so I removed them shortly before lunch.

I have an abundance of farm eggs. Here, egg cups became wee vases.

Saturday Lunch
. . .
Spinach quiche
Assorted cheese plate
Fruit & vegetables
Homemade crackers
Blueberry muffin tops
Iced tea or lite-lemonade
Strawberry sorbet



A gallery of St. Patrick's Day tablescapes:
Cusp of Spring
Irish Breakfast
Irish Blessing
Twigs and Cabbages
Lime and Orchids.

A Tablescape Thursday contribution.












Pin It
Facebook Digg it Stumbleupon Twitter
Social Bookmarking

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful table. I love those square plates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your butterfly plates are adorable.

    I have to say I've never seen fruit and cheese look so pretty as your presentation with the blue berries & brie. Just had to pin it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Lots, hmmm? I'll have to check out my store...
    Oh, and what time for lunch? Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely table and I adore those precious little eggie cups! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Pretty and looks like Spring.
    Your menu looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dishes and I love your tablecloth!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Aledia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am dying over the egg cups! So so cute! The food, the plates everything is perfect!
    Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday and share your ideas
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tablescape.

    I completely understand about shopping with our mates.....I just have had the same experiences - and never a hungry mate, that is sure disaster.

    I have had a number of "oh dang why why why didn't I grab them then" moments while shopping with whom I call "The Hoverer."

    It happens, you are not alone, haha.

    Love your tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely table and dishes. Our local Big Lots never has any cool dishes, not even the white ones that I so wanted to purchase. BUMMER!
    My husband would have been right there rolling his eyes too. He always says "Do we really need that" and it drives me craze.
    Have a blessed day!

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that butterfly tablecloth! This table is so pretty and the little egg cups with flowers is a great touch. Yummy menus also. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going shopping with your husband is the same as going hunting with the game warden!!!

    Gorgeous table, ML...as always.
    R.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tablecloth is wonderful! What great colors you have used! Your Big Lots must be much more upscale than the one here, I keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a gorgeous table..you would never have thought that some of the items came from Big Lots...They are ever so cute...Love the egg cup!...Your photography is beautiful..looks like shots straight out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If this isn't the cutest table, Michael Lee! I'm glad you took some of those plates home. This one brings big smiles! ~ sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun spring tablescape? I love the cute square plates. Your linens are beautiful. The food looks fun too. Yum. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love that egg cup! Seriously, I must have it!

    ReplyDelete