Thursday, March 8, 2012

Foodie Friday

Welcome to Foodie Friday.
I've got a lot cooking this week because my 84 year old mom is visiting. On tonight's menu: chicken and dumplings, salad, cornbread, and bread machine Cinnabons.

Earlier this week I made potato soup.

 I don't have a recipe, just a procedure:
Potato Soup (the easy way)
Into a pot, add potatoes, peeled and cubed; chopped celery and onions (1 cup each--I always sautee the vegetables in butter before I add the potatoes), and a large box chicken stock. Salt and pepper to taste. Boil the potatoes over a medium flame until they are fork-tender. Remove pan from heat. Run a potato masher over the potatoes. Add heavy cream--whisk until the mixture becomes smooth and soup like.
Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme. (My mother uses a bacon garnish.)
Serve with crusty, homemade bread.

This is a delicious one-pot meal, perfect for a rainy March night.

The Cinnabon dough is ready! Time to make the filling. (Earlier, when I added the ingredients to the bowl of the bread machine, I failed to add the flour. Thankfully, the dough cycle hadn't gotten too far along, and I was able to remedy the oversight.
 My family has been teasing me all afternoon about flourless bread! :-)

Would you mind voting on something? If you would--or wouldn't--like to see the Foodie Friday Cafe continue every Sunday, please leave a comment. If you'd rather see a tablescape or a foodie post, I'd like to know. Thanks!!

If you are contributing a recipe to this week's Foodie Friday, locate the blue Inlinkz frog (below, left) and follow the instructions.

If this is your first time to participate in Foodie Friday, or if you aren't sure how to add a permalink, a short tutorial is available. If you are linking a recipe to Foodie Friday, a FF button can be found on the sidebar. If you'd like to add it, simply copy-and-paste the code beneath the button (located on the right-hand sidebar). Happy Recipe Hunting!

Pin It
Facebook Digg it Stumbleupon Twitter
Social Bookmarking


  1. Don't you just love Potato Soup? It is great comfort food and so easy!

  2. I love the Foodie Friday Cafe~ it gives me a chance to see something I might have missed! Everything looks more delicious in a larger size rather than a thumbnail :)

  3. That looks delicious. I am going to try it! Thank you for hosting!

  4. Yum- your potato soup sounds good!
    I shared my recipe for Chicken Stew With Green Olives And Grapes.
    Thanks for hosting!

  5. Your potato soup looks delicious. I love how it looks in the green bowl.

  6. Beautiful dishes! Potato soup is one of my favorites. Thanks for hosting this each week.

  7. LOVE, LOVE your lettuce leaf bowls!!

  8. I burned the broth/veggies for the chicken and dumplings, I overturned a huge bag of flour in an upper cabinet, and the rice spilled over the pot. I just hope the Cinnabons turn out. I hope you all are having better cooking luck!

  9. That soup looks wonderful... what good fun to cook for a parent and show them what a great cook you are.

    Beautiful dish, as always. It does feel like spring already, doesn't it?

  10. Love potato soup! Have a great visit with your mom!

  11. Happy Friday! Thanks for hosting!!

  12. Oh, my this looks delicious. I love a good bowl of potato soup! ~ Sarah

  13. I always enjoy the Foodie Friday Cafe :)

    Thank you for sharing your delicious potato soup. I really like the bowls you have used!

    I've shared a lovely, romantic meal for two this week. Thank you for hosting.

  14. Michelle Lee,
    Hi! Thank you for hostin.
    Your potato soup sounds really good. I brought old-fashioned cupcakes and Buttercream Frosting.

  15. Thanks for hosting Foodie Friday, my contribution is Vanilla and blueberry cupcakes with blueberry frosting.

    I think the Foddie Friday Cafe´ is a great way of sharing inspiration.

    Btw, your soup looks delicious! :-)

  16. Love potato soup! Enjoy your visit Michael:@)

  17. Your potato soup looks delicious. I love how it looks in the green bowl. I must drag out my cabbage bowls now.

  18. What a beautiful bowl of soup. Perfect for Saint Patty's day. I love your new series Foodie Friday Cafe on Sundays. It highlights some of the fabulous foods we see here and personally I like it for a change of pace from tablescapes.

    Hope you enjoy your mom's visit. Sounds like you've got everything planned.

    I brought Spicy Shrimp today and it's a dish you can serve two ways from the same recipe - one with pasta and one without. The version without the pasta appeals to people concerned about calories and in truth, who isn't. Thanks so much for hosting Foodie Friday. You're the best.

  19. No entry today because I had to a book review, but I stopped in to see what every one else is doing. Love the Foodie Friday Cafe, love potato soup, and I hope you have a wonderful visit with your mom!

  20. What a quick and easy way to make potato soup! One of our favorites here is Danish Potato Soup.

    Love the Foodie Friday Cafe!

  21. Good Morning,
    Your Potato Soup is pure comfort, a bowl of your soup would be perfect on this cold rainy day. Enjoy your visit with your Mom and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

  22. What a gorgeous presentation of a delicious, comforting soup!

    I'm sharing 5 Whole Food Desserts Your Family Will Love, and some delicious Homemade Chocolate Banana Power Bars.

    Have a great weekend!

  23. Beautiful photograph of your yummy soup, ML! I'd be addin' some bacon on top, too, like your Mom. You're so lucky to still have her around! Enjoy every minute!!

    I LOVE the Foodie Friday Cafe. I am always surprised at how many I miss seeing & I try to get to everyone but there just isn't enough time in the week.

    Thank you for all the work you put into your beautiful blog. I know how time consuming it is & you do such a gorgeous job!


  24. Love that easy recipe for Potato Soup and the bowls are gorgeous. You're Mom must love visiting!

    Didn't know about the Foodie Friday Cafe until now, so took a look. I don't know what the general consensus will be, but I like it - a place to catch up and focus in on some really fine recipes and the photos are amazing.

  25. This sounds like a wonderful meal - in a bowl.

    - The Tablescaper

  26. Your soup looks and sounds delicious!
    thank you for hosting such a fun event :)