Thursday, August 23, 2012

Foodie Friday


I spend my days writing, dog tending, cooking, gardening, and puttering.
Homemaking is a joy, something that feeds my soul.  I am a not a fancy cook,
but that doesn't mean that I'm not food obsessed.
I am.
  I come from a family of homebodies and self-taught cooks. Some of us are full time homemakers and others have full-time jobs, but in our souls, we're always in the kitchen. We have a tradition of photographing desserts, side dishes, and entrees.
We love everything about cooking: the soothing rituals of measuring,
stirring, and kneading. Even dishwashing is fun.
Like most cooks, the women in my clan are into nurturing.
Today, when my husband asked for a low-carb/low-cal side dish, I sprang into action (cooks love special requests) and made a tomato-cucumber salad.
   
                 I love this salad.
            Not only is it delicious (and low calorie), it's versatile--perfect for a picnic or a  formal meal.

 Best of all, it takes five minutes to make.


Time-saving Tip:
When you're cooking for a crowd, the recipes can run together in your mind. To reduce the stress of preparing several side-dishes and desserts, print or write down each recipe. Assemble ingredients for each recipe and place in a box or plastic tub.  

 

 

Farmhouse Tomato-Cucumber Salad

 Print This Recipe

Simple and festive, this salad can be assembled in minutes.
What You Need:
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
4- 6 ripe tomatoes
1 hothouse cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons fresh oregano
1 tablespoon fresh basil
rice vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
First, make a vinaigrette. Add two parts olive oil to one part vinegar. Whisk. Add garlic. Salt and pepper to taste and whisk. Place onions in the bowl and stir. Peel and slice the cucumber. Slice tomatoes. Arrange cucumbers and tomatoes on a serving platter. Garnish with cherry tomatoes. Remove onions from oil/vinegar mixture and arrange over tomatoes and cucumbers. Pour vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add basil and oregano. Salt and pepper again (to taste).
Serves: 6



Thanks for stopping by!

To add your recipe to the Foodie Friday linky party, look below for the blue Inlinkz frog (below). Add your permalink and select an image. It may take a few seconds for the entry to process. A red X on your photo allows you to delete your entry if you make an error. The Foodie Friday badge (or button--look for a picture of white cupcakes) is located on the right sidebar if you wish to add it to your FF post. If this is your first time to participate in Foodie Friday, a tutorial is available.


34 comments:

  1. Love side salads like that. Thanks for sharing.
    Loving the lower temps and lower humidity. How is the house renovation going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great salad, and perfect with the abundance of tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing beats tomatoes and cucumbers in the summertime. A perfect salad with absolutely everything and good for your too.

    Thanks for hosting Foodie Friday. I've brought a very special treat today - Pheasant Eggs on Sausage Toasts.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this salad also and your pics are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! Thanks for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh tomotoes,cucumber and fresh basil,dang-gum!..Looks sooo good,I love me some fresh veggie salad.

    I can relate to seeing about the dawg,mowing,cookn' and all those other lovely things that it takes to run a country home...BUT I love every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. umm, basil and cucumber, what a wonderful combo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Michael: So nice to meet you here and discover Foodie Friday--it's my first time participating! I thank you for hosting the party today, and I look forward to the inspiration I'm sure I'll find in the links. I loved your low-carb salad--my kind of salad, and your photos are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not fond of tomatoes, but I do like cucumbers. ;-)
    My husband would LOVE this salad. I will make it for him. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a beautiful salad Michael! Hope you're enjoying the last of August:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that salad...as a matter of fact, I served the same salad at my Ladies Lunch today...however, yours looks so much prettier!!...Love that salad, especially in the summer!..Thanks for hosting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect! Just the inspiration I needed this afternoon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear One, Looks delicious!!!
    A wonderful Salad to enjoy. Glad to visit your special blog.

    I thank God that I am a Homemaker and have liberty to be so. Nothin' like it!

    Sweet Summer Blessings to you today,
    d on the kansas prairie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your post. I feel the same... although I'm working full time my heart belongs at home (specifically in the kitchen with my little girl). Love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cucumber salad and this looks wonderful! Thanks for hosting and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made Rattlebridge Farmhouse Salad for dinner tonight and it was a huge success, very flavorful and a great way to use all those cherry tomatoes in abundance from my garden.

    Would love to see what is happening with the renovation of the farmhouse.

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just picked a zillion cherry tomatoes, so this salad is perfect timing! I wish I you lived closer so I could share some oregano from my garden with you :-)

    I am sharing my Star S'mores this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmmmmm the cucumber tomato salad sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this salad too. Thanks for the printable recipe too! That makes life so much easier!! have a beautiful weekend. I will be celebrating a birthday:) XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for hosting!! I love your salad recipe - such wonderful colors and so healthy! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ~Jen @ YummyHealthyEasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for hosting, glad to know I'm not the only one that finds dishwashing therapeutic. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful salad, and beautifully presented too! I like your idea for grouping all the ingredients together with the recipe when cooking for a crowd.

    This week I have shared a Triple Ginger Pound Cake. Thank you for hosting, and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I would love to be a homebody and putter around the house. I adore my summer's off.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good morning! This salad sounds so fresh and wonderful - a perfect salad for a summer's afternoon! I appreciate you hosting,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Without question, this is my hubby's favorite salad, and with tomatoes being at their best right now, it's a real winner. I love your commentary about cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the look of this summer fresh salad! thank you for hosting and have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your salad too! I'll be trying this very soon with some of my fresh garden goodies.. just love your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Michael Lee, You are my kind of gal! Kindred spirits! I love being in my home and puttering and fluffing and learning new things... especially cooking! I have been blogging almost 3 years and when I found your beautiful blog and FOODIE FRIDAY, not long after I started, I knew I had found a very special place!
    I also use white dishpans for EVERYTHING! They are great organizers!YOu are a smart one!
    Thanks for hosting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That salad looks wonderful. The simplest recipes are often the best with summer garden vegetables! I often just whip up some german cucumber salad base ( mayo and vinegar ) and then add tomatoes to it ) Actually I think that's all I've eaten the past week in the way of salad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Michael ... Your salad looks delicious! I would only make one ingredient change... exchange that yellow onion for a delicious Vidalia onion! You know we Georgians are loyal to our fabulous Vidalia onions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This salad looks amazing! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My kind of salad! Light, fresh, and flavorful. :-)

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails