Thursday, September 27, 2012

Foodie Friday

 
Welcome to the  September 28th Foodie Friday.
Even when I was a small girl, I was obsessed with kitchen design. I would roam the neighborhood with my friend Susie, boldly ringing doorbells and inviting our ten-year-old selves for home tours. Susie and I were never spurned. Nor did we ever see dishes in the sink or unmade beds. The smells of coffee and lemon furniture polish always wafted in the air. Most homeowners had something delicious bubbling on the stove and baked goods on the counters. Susie and I were offered cake and 7-Up. With our bellies and minds filled with sugar and color schemes, we'd march to the next victim and brazenly ring the bell.
This was the 1960s, a time when food-and-decor was a passion for many homeowners. But neither Susie nor I could have guessed that home tours would be available in a less intrusive manner. Here it is 2012, and home tours are available on food and decor blogs. A girl doesn't have to get out of her fuzzy pink bathrobe to discover the latest paint colors or must-haves for the kitchen (both of which seem to change with the speed of a knife passing through warm butter.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
So today I am inviting you into my kitchen. The coffee is ready, and the cinnamon bars have just been drizzled with icing. Just for you.
This is the Bald Hill Farm kitchen, circa 2005, planned while I was busily writing my fifth book, Mermaids in the Basement (my friend Allison, an editor at Atticmag, graciously allowed me to fictionalize her gorgeous Alabama kitchen).
Now, all these years later, I am writing my eleventh book, and since the book centers around a cook named Teeny, kitchens are very much on my mind. 
 

 
My previous kitchen had traditional creamy white cabinets and black granite counters. I was ready for a change. White cabinetry can be a challenge if your coffee pot explodes on a regular basis. Black granite is stunning and striking, but it's high maintenance. Bald Hill's busy granite has hidden our household sins. Would I choose it again? I don't know.
 Just like the character in the Teeny Templeton mysteries, I do love copper pots.

 The desk area.
 
So now we will move to the kitchen at Rattlebridge. The early 1990s style kitchen has the same counter space but more cabinets and drawers.

 
 
AU-shaped work area is my favorite design. 
 
 
I'm completely swamped with writing and have put the Rattlebridge project on hold.
This is good because it has given me time to think about what I like in a kitchen. Time has helped me see what is, and isn't, important. I don't care about inset cabinets or overlay--I just want lots of drawers. I don't need bigness; I need function.
The cabinets may or may not be painted. But whatever happens,
this kitchen and I will get along just fine.
 


 
What are your must-haves in a kitchen?
Do the trends and dos/don'ts make you dizzy?
What's really important in your kitchen?

To add your recipe to the Foodie Friday linky party, look below for the blue Inlinkz frog (below). Add your permalink and select an image. It may take a few seconds for the entry to process. A red X on your photo allows you to delete your entry if you make an error. The Foodie Friday badge (or button--look for a picture of white cupcakes) is located on the right sidebar if you wish to add it to your FF post. If this is your first time to participate in Foodie Friday, a tutorial is available.

36 comments:

  1. I have lived in so many houses and have learned to be flexible, but I like lots of empty counter space, usable storage for items where they are needed, good lighting, and a double oven. Anything else is icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kitchen is not so big, but perfectly planned, therefore, I don't have much on my counters, I love lots of working space. Your kitchen looks fabulous, elegant and yeah, a double oven is a must too. A week ago I just got a new fridge, the Inverted kind, with the freezer at the buttom and I just love it! Thanks for hosting yet, another great party at, Foodie Friday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful kitchens. Thank you for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my wish list - larger kitchen/dining area with more and better organized storage.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We down sized a number of years ago and enjoy a very simple life style now. In a smaller space I am forced to stay organized. Hope you are having a great week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just re-did a kitchen in our condo and I probably have one more re-do left in me for our final house. We used a sandy colored quartz in the condo and it's very soothing and relaxing.

    Thanks for hosting Foodie Friday. I linked an Indian spiced lentil & lamb stew that's perfect for autumn. Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting - happy to link up again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kitchen is beautiful--I like the granite countertops. Thank you so much for hosting the party for us today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen is gorgeous. I'd love to have one half as nice. We are slowly changing ours. Function and storage are most important, but I love all of the beautiful accessories too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the party! I linked up fruit salsa- check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael Lee, what fun to get to put together a new kitchen! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love house tours too! Both your kitchens are beautiful. I like my kitchen to be homey and comforting but functional and practical too. I'm really lucky to have a kitchen that I love at the moment. Thank you so much for sharing your kitchens and for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since i'm an "untidy" cook, the one thing I absolutely can't live without is my pantry. It's nice & spacious...I could hide everything in there, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for hosting. I love the top kitchen shown! I've had the white, the dark, the in between. I love granite counters, the do hide so much no matter what shade. The most important feature in my kitchen is dedicated work space with good lighting. And of course lots and lots of storage!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find your interests in kitchens at such a young age very fortelling of your future self. My daughter Julia the child is obsessed with pastries who knows what the future will hold. Thanks for another lovely party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have been living in our new home almost two years....we waited 25 years before building....I planned,and planned,and planned,and I think we can safely say we are blessed and we have just what we dreamed about...I love my kitchen...it's just me and the hubby so I can get in there and cook up some great stuff,I love blogging and really enjoy the sharing of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had to laugh over your comment about white cabinets. They look so pretty in photos but in reality they are a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What gorgeous kitchens! Thank you for allowing a peek into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drawers. I want drawers. I am so tired of trying to reach back into the deep dark recesses of my cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great work on your kitchen design. I love the clutter free look on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your kitchen is beautiful! I must have a gas stove, lots of counter space too. I really do like a galley kitchen. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous photos! I dream of a larger kitchen, with more room for gadgets and appliances, and more counter space :) Once I get that, then I can worry about design!! I've shared a recipe for gluten free beet ravioli.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved your story of visiting kitchens as a child. What a fun memory! Your kitchen is fabulous. Its feels warm. I love a kitchen that feels welcoming, yours does.

    Good luck and great fun working on your rattlebridge kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved your story of visiting kitchens as a child. What a fun memory! Your kitchen is fabulous. Its feels warm. I love a kitchen that feels welcoming, yours does.

    Good luck and great fun working on your rattlebridge kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful kitchens. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck and great fun working on your rattlebridge kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lots of cabinets would be my dream and a fabulous Island.
    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I’m sharing the crunchiest apple crisp recipe you could ask for and finally how to freeze a bumper crop of peppers.

    Thanks for hosting!

    We also host a blog hop called Eat Make Grow we are always looking for folks who write about gardening, cooking, crafting and kids to link up.

    Stop on by if you get the chance:
    http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/search?q=eat+make+grow&max-results=20&by-date=true

    Foy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Michael Lee, thanks for hosting, have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I also love a U shaped kitchen. My must haves are, double oven, lots of work space, large pantry and good lighting. I absolutely love to bake and that is what I do when I am bored or sad.

    Love your kitchens, you sure know how to pretty things up.

    Blessings,
    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love both spaces! I wanted white cabinets and black granite when we remodeled 7 years ago, but the more I looked around, the more I fell in love with natural cherry and a varigated dark granite. We couldn't be happier with the choices we made. (I did go with white cabinets and distressed wood countertops in the butler's pantry though) Thanks for another great party, Michael Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, you and your friend were bold in your home tour adventures!

    I love the idea of white cabinets, but worry about constantly obsessing over how obvious it is when they are dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your kitchen is beautiful, I'm jealous! I would LOVE more storage space like you have. Thanks for hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the story about your home tours as a child. Wish I would have thought of that. I was the kid who would come home from school to an empty house and begin moving the furniture around in my bedroom. At least once a month I would change it. Dang, now that I'm older it's just so hard to push the furniture around. My "inner designer" has to be happy with creating vignettes and cleaning the house. Time marches on.
    About the kitchen and actually all things in life. As you can see by my house I do not follow trends. If I like it and it's functional that's all that matters. Love my white cabinets and counters but they are not granite but probably Corian. They came with the house and I love them. Easy to clean and good looking. Double ovens are a must have for big gatherings. My kitchen is fairly small but it works. I would love a butlers pantry to keep all my dishes in. Are you still storing behind your curtins? I just bought another china cabinet/hutch for more of mine. It's in the garage waiting to be painted white. It's place of honor will be in the entrance way at the top of the steps. Post pics as soon as it's painted. Can't wait to see what you do with your kitchen.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your kitchen will be great, no matter what you do! Miss hearing from you - email me an update!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hі therе, this weеkend iѕ pleasant
    deѕigneԁ fоr me, because this time і am
    readіng thіs great informative paragraph heгe at my
    resіdеnсe.

    my site :: Eternity rings

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails