Monday, December 31, 2012

Retro Baked Hot Dogs


"I'm not eating it!" That's what my youngest (almost 30-year old) son said when he saw me preparing lunch.
 
"Don't be a food wuss," I told him.
 
Baked hot dogs are the culinary equivalent of a carnival ride, with a dash of comfort thrown in. 
 
They're filling, warming, and easy to prepare.
Yet they do come with a warning.
 
 
 These hot dogs require a fork, possibly a spoon.
And you can never, ever eat just one.
 
 

 As with traditional dogs, this recipe can be individualized for picky eaters--
onions and chili on one side of the pot,
a cheesy topping on the other.



Retro Baked Hot Dogs
8 hot dog buns
8 all-beef hot dogs
condiments (mayonnaise, mustard, relish)
chili
onions, chopped
cheese, shredded

Spread condiments inside the buns, the more the merrier if you're fond of ooey, gooey carnival food; less if you like your bun to stay intact and none if you live with picky eaters. Add one hot dog to each bun. If desired, top with chili, cheese, and chopped onions.
Cover baking dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Here's wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

An On the Menu Monday contribution.

Pin It
Social Bookmarking

16 comments:

  1. Well, I think it sounds yummy but then I am a sucker for hotdogs. This sounds a lot like a Scrambled Dog (if you only add pickles & oyster crackers on top!) Here is a link to the historic Scrambled Dog of Columbus, GA http://www.gwinnettforum.com/2002issues/02.0528.fort.htm

    Happy New Year! Your posts always bring a smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment just disappeared.
    But I was saying........My husband is a fan of hot dogs so I'll pass this along. ;-)
    Happy New Year to you and the family........Hugs ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I'll bet a spammer ate it. Blogspot has been so glitchy! I can't make any changes to my template!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha about spammer...I just wanted to say to him...puhleeeze, get a life. eat some meat, wouldya?!!! I've already put the pasta recipe on my list for this week! hubbs hates tomato only pasta sauce..he'll love this one!
    AND!!!! I just finished making the ol' chili sauce/grape jam weenie sausage recipe for our bowl game today!!! Hot Dogs must be in the air!!! I love em more than my luggage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, let me just say that I would probably eat dog doo if it was served in such a beautiful copper pan. Secondly, I do love hot dogs, and these look decadently delicious. Putting it all together and baking it is new to me, and something that I am definitely going to try. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore hot dogs and know that this would be a huge hit at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Michael, this has to be the ultimate comfort food! I want mine with cheese and chili and maybe a side of macaroni salad. tee hee Happy New Year to you and your family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just makes me smile! and Laugh out loud,as I know 3 kids who would jump for joy over this kind of lunch back in the day! I may have to give it a whirl some Sunday evening...a little bit unexpected for Sunday dinner, but now the grands would be the ones jumping for joy. {wink, wink}
    Food should be fun, too! We can't take ourselves too seriously all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Pattie on the copper pan - presentation is everything! Coincidentally, I just came home from the store with Nathan's hot dogs and buns just before I saw your post. I'll be trying them this way. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love coney dogs, but I have to say I have never seen them made this way! My picky eater would turn his nose up at them too. He's a mustard only kind of kid. :) Have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love baked hot dogs! Beautiful photos, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a fan of hotdogs but, for some inexplicable reason, this looks really good! I hope it's okay if I pin it, might be some good PMS food:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! I think it looks completely amazing. But first, I must find that gorgeous pan. Then I will make the hot dogs!

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, junk food at it's best.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous mess... I can't imagine being able to resist it... I think I'm going to have to make it! Have a great New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails