Thursday, March 14, 2013

Foodie Friday -- March 15

 Foodie Friday is the highlight of my week. I'm so glad you're here so we can talk about our favorite subject: recipes.
 Yesterday, I made cream-filled donuts. But first, let me give a little background information.

If you're familiar with Pinterest, you've probably seen hundreds of homemade donut photos, and the main ingredient is canned biscuit dough. I was skeptical, but Paula Deen makes them! I was sold.
Click HERE for her version of the recipe.

Wouldn't a cream-filled variety be the perfect comfort food? 
Yes, indeedy. I couldn't stop thinking about cream donuts, specifically the kind that my father used to buy at the French Market in New Orleans.  Those donuts can't be replicated, of course, but I decided to experiment.

Since I was having one of my Slob Days, I didn't want to make a cream filling from scratch. And I really didn't want to drive to the grocery. Canned biscuits are a staple at our house; I have been eating bland foods lately, so I had plenty of Jell-O pudding.
I was ready to prepare my 2-ingredient donuts.
I put on my apron (I love aprons) and got to work. 

Here's a step-by-step:

What You Need:
1 can Pillsbury Grands
1 4-pack of Jell-0 pudding (4 - 5 oz per individual tub).
Yields: 8 lip-smacking, cream-filled donuts. 

Pour vegetable oil into a skillet, add biscuits, and fry. 
A medium-high flame isn't recommended unless you like scorched donuts. 
And don't answer the phone while cooking!

The biscuits will fry in a country minute. You'll only need
to flip them once. Don't overcook (I did).

Drain on paper towels.

Find a pastry bag and fill with pudding. You can also use a Baggie. Just snip off one corner, add a pastry tip, and fill with pudding.

Your biscuits/donuts need to be prepared for the filling--the inner part is poofy, anyway, but you'll need to make a little cavity. First, make a little hole. Probably a tool exists for this purpose, but I used the handle of a spoon. My flatware has a rounded tip at one end--as I explained to Bandwidth, I didn't use the large "bowl" part of the spoon. You don't want a huge exterior "hole." Even so, mine are too large. I swished the tip inside the donut, taking care not to tear the crust.

Next, I piped-in the pudding.
It was cool to watch the donuts "puff up" as they filled with "cream." 


Yes, the filling will be somewhat runny. And the donuts won't be cakey and sweet as the store-bought variety. But TRY to eat just one. It's like biting into a cloud.

Brush the tops with melted butter and quickly add granulated sugar (and I do mean quickly, because the donut tops absorb the butter, and the sugar won't stick). Powdered sugar is even better. 
A thin layer of (canned) chocolate icing could be spread on top.
If you don't like pudding inside your donuts, or if you want to try something different, add jelly, chocolate chips (insert while the donuts are still piping hot), whipped cream, cooked, sliced apples, etc. Or, if you want a firmer filling, make your own custard. Colorful sprinkles on top will only add to the fun.

Bandwidth hates cream-filled anything, so I made a
batch of "normal" donuts. I tried to cut a hole with a small cookie cutter, but it was too large, so I used a knife.
The procedure is the same: fry, drain, and add sweetness.
Fry the donut holes, too.
Time: 5 minutes, tops, if you sprinkle with sugar and don't glaze (which would be awesome, as Bandy said).

I love recipes that are super-fast, tasty, and require minimal 
clean-up. 

I've been a lazy cook all week. 
Click HERE for the recipe.

If you've been following my home renovation, click HERE to see a dark gray, almost black interior door that we painted--we're trying to decide if we want to join the black door fad. Or HERE to see "2 Ways to Brighten a Dark Foyer." 

Be sure to visit Stone Gable's On the Menu Monday.

If you're here for Foodie Friday's linky party, just add your recipe, locate the blue Inlinkz frog (below, left); add your permalink and select an image. It may take a few seconds for the entry to process. The red "X" will allow you to delete your entry if you made an error. The Foodie Friday badge is located on the right-hand sidebar if you wish to add it to your FF post. If this is your first time to participate in Foodie Friday, a tutorial is available.

"Pinners" please go to the source blog to pin and credit the bloggers/photographers for their work.
Thank you for stopping by! Have a great, food-filled week.



42 comments:

  1. WOWWWWW
    These are mouth-watering donuts !!
    I wish I could grab one :)
    Thanks for this party and I wish you a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Those doughnuts look so delicious! YUMMY! Thanks so much for hosting this great link party! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My recipe: a) go to Publix b) head for "Bakery"c) locate tables strewn with pastry d) select boxes marked "Bismarcks" e)pay a modest amount f)take home g) enjoy with cup of fresh coffee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile! That's one of my "recipes," too. I always get lost in the Publix bakery. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  4. Oh My word!!!...Are they really so easy to make...I'm in!!! Thank You for the party...the donuts look delicious!
    Have a beautiful weekend Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my do these look good. I have always gone for the cream-filled donut!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great-gahblee-good...I've actually made these before,so easy and delishly sweet.Love me some Paula Deen and you MLWest,thanks for hosting this fun-ness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to make biscuit doughnuts a lot. These look so good. Maybe I will pick up some biscuits and puddin' tomorrow.:-)

    I am fighting the flu...despite the shot!! This would be perfect comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so excited when I saw you were going to post a recipe for these! I think I could even make these, but I should not for the obvious reasons. They look so very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are my kind of donuts, they look so good, I am making some. I have a vanilla pudding I just made and biscuits at the ready. If I could go to Publix Bakery, I would think I died and went to heaven.Enjoy your weekend and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made the little donut holes from biscuit dough before Michael, these sound even more dangerous:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does Paula Deen know about you? Fried Biscuits!!! Vanilla pudding oozing out...sounds pretty sinful and fun! Thanks,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my... *pausing to wipe the drool off my chin*...I can't think of anything better! Thanks so much for your kind comments. Looking forward to dining with Teeny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for hosting! Hope you're having a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for hosting and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting such a GREAT party. I love the donuts! YUM! Have a wonderful week. ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Michael Lee. One thing I don't like to see and that is 'easy' and 'cream filled doughnuts' in the same recipe. Oh my goodness. I might just have to make these now. LOL Thanks so much for hosting.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should not have shown me an easy way to make donuts :) Looks wonderful!!
    Thank you so much for hosting your party!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so very much for having me today! Hope you have a great weekend.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Talk about wonderful doughnuts! I so wish we could get the Pillsbury Biscuit Dough and Jello Pudding like that here in the UK. I can just imagine how delicious these are :) Thank you for hosting. This week I've shared a great way to use up leftover croissants.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel like I've stepped into New Orleans this morning looking at your rich and delicious donuts. My husband would devour these. I've brought a Carbonnade of beef & onions braised in beer. If you're feeling Irish, use Guinness.

    Thanks so much for hosting and I hope you have a great St. Patty's Day. I'm really enjoying your renovations and painting projects.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun way to make donuts! Looks easy and delicious. Thanks for hosting, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am all about easy and these will do quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good morning! Hope you've had a great weekend...is it really the weekend already??!! Have a wonderful day.

    Mrs. Sarah Coller
    Homemaking Linkup is live and ready for whatever you've got to share!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for hosting this wonderful party~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  25. YUMMY, Michael Lee! From one apron wearing girl to another... these biscuit donuts looks sublime!!! Thanks for hosting. I always take away such creative cooking ideas!

    Please stop by and join in ON THE MENU MONDAY at StoneGable.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Made it! Thanks for hosting!! Happy St. Paddy's Day!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are wicked, Michael Lee, to tempt me with creme filled donuts I can make at home. They are my weakness and I will probably eat them all. Great round-up of St. Paddy's Day posts. Thanks ever so much for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow...those look yummy!

    Have a great weekend,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look shockingly easy! Looking at the I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Everything looks wonderful. Enjoy your week and thanks for the party. Andi

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is my first time at your party- I can't wait to browse! The easy cream-filled donuts and the ham and cheese sliders...oh, my, goodness! :)

    Happy Weekend!

    Joy @ Yesterfood
    http://yesterfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for this recipe. I'm going to go to the grocery store tomorrow and get the ingrients. I'll have to walk extra steps for what I plan to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my Michael!! Donuts are my biggest weakness and your description of the taste and texture of these is making me drool. I will definitely be making these!!!! And your entire blog is looking so good these days. I love the look!! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  34. Goodness ML, but those donuts look good! I missed Foodie Friday this past week as we were out of town. See you this Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, NO! I'm NOT making these because they look soooo good that I'd probably eat the whole can of them. Well, maybe I'll make them just once. :)
    Happy weekend,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  36. We make the regular donuts on every camping trip. Bring along the cast iron skillet and fry them over the camp stove. A large baggie of powered or regular sugar, and you are set. My kids love camping just for this recipe. We have tried to do them for Easter and Christmas mornings, but we have stuck with the camping trips. Good memory for those kiddos!

    www.grandmaagnesattic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails