Thursday, March 7, 2013

Foodie Friday -- March 8, 2013


Welcome to Foodie Friday. I'm glad you're here. I've been ill once again, this time with diverticulitis, which was worsened by eating too many BBQ sliders. But it was worth the pain, because they were so good! The recipe isn't a step-by-step and is recommended for cooks who seldom measure ingredients.

Crockpot BBQ Sliders

1 Boston butt or pork roast of your choice (4-6 servings)
4 slices bacon, uncooked
1 cup chopped red onions
1 cup chopped bell peppers (red, orange, green)
paprika, salt & pepper, chili powder
1 beef bouillon cube plus 1 c. warm water or 1 c. beef broth
2 to 4 T red wine or red wine vinegar
Slider buns
1 bag of slaw mix
mayonnaise
white wine vinegar
sugar; salt and pepper

First, make the slaw. Place slaw mix in a bowl and add mayonnaise and vinegar. I don't have a recipe for this, sorry. Add a little mayo at a time. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar. You can add poppy seeds if you like. Mix well. Cover bowl and refrigerate. 
...
Prepare the roast. In large skillet, fry bacon and set aside (save grease). Rinse roast and pat dry. Season with paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper (I season heavily, covering every inch of the roast).
Into the skillet, add 1 T butter and 1 T oil (or bacon grease).
Sear roast on all sides. Remove from skillet and place in Crockpot.
De-glaze skillet with a few tablespoons red wine (or red wine vinegar), stirring the bottom of the pan continuously. Add chopped vegetables and sautee until tender and clear. Add vegetables to Crockpot. Add bouillon/water mixture or beef broth. Cover the pot. Cook on high for 6 hours or until roast is done. 
Remove roast from Crockpot. Using two forks, shred the meat. Add your favorite barbecue sauce. Place BBQ in slider buns (my husband likes a light coating of mayo on the buns) and top with slaw.



When I'm not cooking, I write novels for two New York publishers. If you like to read, I invite you to check out my foodie novel Gone With a Handsomer Man. (Many of you have read it--and created fabulous photo shoots with the recipes--and I thank you with all of my heart!). The book was a 2011 SIBA Okra Pick (Southeastern booksellers), a New York Times summer reading choice, and was named by the Sun-Sentinel as one of the best mystery novels of 2011. 

The e-book version is on sale for $2.99 until March 10th, then it will be $9.99. That's a super price while it lasts. 

You can read more about the book HERE
...
Enough about that. 
This week my Yorkie has also been a tad sick.
Zap and Mlee

Zap is diabetic, and his blood glucose has been on a roller coaster ride. His bg climbs into the 300 and 400s, then falls below 100, which is very serious. My vet recommended that we increase the insulin and add two small snacks per day. Does anyone have a diabetic dog? If so, I would love to hear from you. Any suggestions or tips would be helpful. 
...
 
If you missed last week's Foodie Friday, be sure to check out the great recipes. You'll be inspired for St. Patrick's Day--or any day.
If you're here for the linky party and wish to add your recipe, locate the blue Inlinkz frog (below, left); add your permalink and select an image. It may take a few seconds for the entry to process. The red "X" will allow you to delete your entry if you want to change the image or headline.The Foodie Friday badge is located on the right-hand sidebar if you wish to add it to your FF post. If this is your first time to participate in Foodie Friday, a tutorial is available.


"Pinners" please go to the source blog to pin and credit the bloggers/photographers for their work. Thanks!




Pin It

Social Bookmarking

36 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new book! And thanks for the slider pic - made me nostalgic for my Grandmother's NC pork BBQ. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting. Sorry your pup is not feeling well. Hope the change in meds and extra snacks help. Have a great week.
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sliders look delicious, made a copy of the recipe. I was so sorry to read that your furry friend is not feeling well and I do hope that you are on the mend as well.

    Carolyn/A Southerner's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael,
    Our Bichon Andre was diabetic, it was a struggle to get the levels right and keep them there. One thing that helped for a long time, we gave him very small meals every 2 1/2 hours. Bless his heart he finally gave up and we lost him over a year ago now. I am sorry that you'al are having trouble with your little guy.
    Hope all of you get to feeling better and thanks for hosting.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Miz Helen, I'm so sorry you lost Andre! I wish I could hug you. I will try the small meals--thank you SO much! I have pricked his ears so many times this past week, I know they must be sore. I'm keeping Neosporin on them. Thank you again!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for hosting. Your sliders look delicious and I will definitely be pinnin' and makin'! Hope your doggie is soon on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sandwiches look so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sorry to read Zap is not doing well. Sorry - I have no experience dealing with pets that are diabetic.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Bummer! Worried about Zap. Will ask my friends whose older is diabetic. They have to give him insulin shots daily.
    Take care and get better soon...........The sliders look delicious! '-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We give Zap two injections, 12 hours apart. He eats W/D Prescription Diet, canned. The vet said Z can eat all of the cooked broccoli that he wants, but it just doesn't bump up his BG near the end of the 12 hour cycle. The diabetic biscuits that I made really sent him into a sugar rush. I am looking for another recipe. Thanks in advance for asking your friends!

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry about your sweet doggie - they truly are man's - rather ladies - best friend. Great recipes here - I enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for hosting~ Have a wonderful week-end~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, it's too heartbreaking when a furry friend isn't well, poor baby...I know love helps but that's all the advice I got...
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting. The BBQ looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for hosting! The sliders look absolutely scrumdelicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you are feeling better. I finally had to give up gluten and a few other foods. I got so sick over Christmas by eating Chocolate chip cookies! I mean really, they look so harmless.LOL
    Thanks for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you feel better soon and little Zap, too. Thank you so much for hosting, Michael Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to hear you and Zap have not been well! Hope you both feel better soon.

    The sliders look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Sliders look amazing Michael! Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry you and Zap aren't feeling well. My husband had diverticulitis on a vacation once and I remember how much pain he was in. It was blamed on the poppy seeds on a hamburger bun in you can believe that. Maybe you and Zap need to lay low and something soft like eat ice cream :) Seriously though, my BIL has a cat with diabetes and the cat is on special food from the vet. But they do have to watch him closely. Poor Zap.

    Thanks for hosting and I hope you get to feeling better. Your sliders look delicious.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your book!!! I saw that yesterday on Facebook. I hope sweet little Zap gets to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Michael, thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum---I bet my family would love those. Thanks for the party. Hope you're having a happy day! This week's Homemaking Linkup is up and I would love to have you join, if you haven’t already.

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Friday!

    I am sorry to hear that you guys have been under the weather. :( I am happy to hear about your new book though! I'll check it out.

    Today I linked up a recipe for my easy homemade "chocolate" chips. They are so tasty and incredibly easy.

    Have a great weekend,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for hosting--I just found your site and love all the wonderful pictures! I recently started a blog over at: nourishingpassions.com & so super new at this-I posted a smoothie recipe, no-bake snack balls & homemade stock/broth. Thanks for hosting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so sad when animals aren't feeling well. They can't tell you how they feel and it is always so worrisome! Hope you both turn the corner soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry to hear that Zap has not been well, and also that you have been suffering too. The sliders do sound lovely, I can see how they would be very tempting! Thank you for hosting, and hope you are both feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum on the sliders! I have my crock pot out, I should make some pulled pork.
    I experimented with a Guinness Irish Stew recipe for the blog crawl Wed. We haven't had it yet, but it smells good!
    Feel better, ML, good thing you have a doc in the house!
    Thanks s much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm really sorry to hear you & the Poochie have been ill. That is NO fun! I've had diverticulitis a couple of times & that pain will make you chew the woodwork, truly. I have found that popcorn & corn on the cob set me off. I can't eat either one now. :-(

    I wish I had some suggestions for Zak but I'm no help. Like Mz Helen, I would think that freq. sm. meals would be a good idea & a bit more food if he has been especially active & burned off some calories. DH is diabetic & he will bottom out if he has worked outside in the yard or when he used to play tennis. Very scary! Even now, I make sure he eats something with carbs before he goes to bed, otherwise he can have a low BS reaction in his sleep. Even MORE SCARY!! *sigh*
    I feel for ya', Hon.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    p.s. Sorry I don't have any food to share today. Its lent & I'm dieting to boot. Nothing very inspiring to photograph these days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I forgot to say that I keep an undated prescription for antibiotics in my wallet at all times, just in case the diverticulitis starts up while we're away. I hope you got on something quickly. Also prescription Donatol works wonders at slowing the gastro spasms that cause so much pain.

    Mega hugs,
    R.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for hosting!! I hope your pooch feels better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  29. You can make your weddings in Delhi a success by trust tasks to your love ones.
    Instead of sending your scanned invitation, it would be great if you create your own wedding website and invite your friends and relatives.
    An increasing number of marrying couples (particularly those entering second or later marriages) will request
    that guests refrain from giving gifts.

    Here is my web site: Wedding Website Advertising

    ReplyDelete
  30. Keep the sacrifices they've made in mind, and take the time to embrace the understanding of how much these people must love you to have traveled so far for your wedding. This is the perfect chance to send a wedding announcement. If necessary, place a polite reminder on your sign-in page that this is not an informal website, and that distasteful comments will be removed.

    Feel free to surf to my website: wedding website affiliate programs

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there! I'm new to your Blog Hop. I hope you and your pup feel better soon! I have a 5 month old Yorkie myself. I love him so much!

    I'm sharing my Make Ahead Bacon-Wrapped Mini Meatloaves. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Depending on what type of business you have you should build
    a fan base that consists of your target audience. A lot of
    organizations do not recognize Facebook, so it could be a enormous benefit to you if you construct a sizable
    fan-page and have thousands of followers. Like anything else in
    this world, you get what you pay for.

    my webpage - http://socialbears.com/facebook-fans/

    ReplyDelete
  33. your sliders look awesome. i could have one right away.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails