Monday, March 18, 2013

Lighting Bloopers

When I was a wee babe, my first spoken word was blooper.
I'm just kidding. 
But the word has haunted many design projects.

A few weeks ago, my contractor's assistant emailed me and said my kitchen lanterns had arrived, and they'd done a mock hanging to check for the height. You may remember my excitement when I posted this photo. The lanterns were the right size. I loved them!
The next time Will and I came to the house, the lanterns had been removed so construction could continue.

Yikes, a chip. 




I was eager to show the master bath to Will. I'd
already seen a "mock up" of the mirror and sconces,
and I really liked them. 

I thought mirrors and sconces would look good in the
rest of the space.




So, what do you think?
Am I in the "Goldilocks Zone?" Barely?
Or moving into blooper territory?






Here's a mirror:


Will went outside to check the pond, and I moved to the powder room, a space that has been so hard for me. 

Love the lighter paint color! Blooper fixed.

I only had two light bulbs for the new sconce, 
and I wasn't tall enough to straighten the shades. 
Will returned, but he was afraid he'd get dirt on the shades, bless his heart.



The mirror should look okay with the sink,
but I don't know how the mirror will look with the sconces, style-wise. Or how this style will work with Will.

The powder room is shaping up to be vintage/industrial.
source

As Will noted, this is a stylistic change from previous spaces: 

Now, that lighting was a blooper and a half.
Pink and swirly and Art Deco-ish.
Trust. 
I picked it out myself. 

What do you think of the sconces?
1. Wait for the mirrors, then decide
2. Relax, these are bloopers-in-disguise.
3. Kinda blooperish.
4. Start looking for new sconces.
5. Hire a designer to unblooper you.







Pin It


18 comments:

  1. I love all of the space in the bathroom. :) You can have a violinist accompany you when you take a bath! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the sconces look a little large for the space but I do love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMHO I love the sconces, but only one pair, I think they are too wonderful and grand to have multiples. I would choose an accompany sconce on the smaller sink. That was my immediate reaction. The finish on the cabinetry turned out great, love that!!
    I am having the same dilema in my family room. I have had one sconce go back and I have two more to try. I feel your pain!
    Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check to see if the sconce comes in a smaller size. Good luck with your family room!

      Delete
  4. #2. definitely Just wait....they'll look amazing. The hardest part is trying to imagine the finished project. If you don't like it when their done....then return them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Elizabeth concerning the sconces. Also, having that many in the space is really over powering, they are lovely sconces and if you used fewer of them they would stand out more. Nothing here that can't be easily fixed (or unbloopered) for sure. The mirrors will make a huge difference, they will pull it all together and then you can decide. I really don't think you need a designer, you have exquisite tastes.

    Blessings,
    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Elizabeth concerning the sconces. Also, having that many in the space is really over powering, they are lovely sconces and if you used fewer of them they would stand out more. Nothing here that can't be easily fixed (or unbloopered) for sure. The mirrors will make a huge difference, they will pull it all together and then you can decide. I really don't think you need a designer, you have exquisite tastes.

    Blessings,
    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say 1. Wait til' you get the mirrors! I'm loving these posts, I'm sorry I haven't commented on more of them. But it's gorgeous - LOVE the foyer! I've got some photos of my new decor up on the blog - hope you'll stop by and tell me what you think!
    Here's to spring!
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to see you, Artie! I can't wait to see your new decor.

      Delete
  8. When I first saw the sconces I thought they were stunning and brave...then as I scrolled through again I decided I think you'll get tired of them being so dominant in the space and you will begin to feel claustrophobic. I do think they are gorgeous though, maybe if you just used one or two in a focal point area...I both envy and don't envy all the decisions you have to make! Your home is going to be incredible when you're done, don't sweat the small stuff!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. After the stress of 2012, I sweat a lot less.

      Delete
  9. I'm with Artie. WAIT. Try them with the mirrors and see then.

    There is safety in repeating elements, and those are some good looking elements to repeat. I don't have a problem with the vanities on opposite walls with matching sconces and mirrors. That gives continuity to both sides of the room.

    I think the one element that has given you fits, though, is that curved part of the vanity area. It is a bit of a problem child.

    I just know I love the mirrros and the sconces. I wish I had them in my bathroom. If this doesn't work out to your liking, then regroup and see if someone can suggest a solution to that end of the vanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That corner is a "problem child," for sure. The mirrors will go up soon, so the mystery will come to a conclusion, one way or another. One sconce is a little too close to the closet...this bothers me more than the sconce beside the window, which will probably have to go. For the closet sconce, I could always paint the trim the same color as the walls. That would help with the window. But I'll have to scour Houzz and AtticMag for examples of trim gone wild. :-) I really want to replicate the sconces on the opposite wall for the reasons your mentioned.

      What did you think about the powder room lighting?

      Delete
    2. P.S. I remembered what you said about repeating shapes. Doesn't the large farm sink in the powder room need something with more of an industrial touch? And a bit more rectangular? I like the picture in the RH catalog that shows the sink with the round mirror, but it may need a rectangle? I love the prettiness of the sconce (it has tiny crystal balls on each "arm" of the sconce), but it may be too feminine. I found a 4-light sconce at Shades of Light--I think I may have posted it. The current sconce can be returned or used in the guest bath.
      These are itty details, but I do enjoy making a nest. :-)

      Delete
    3. I love the fixture you chose, but like you, I want to see it with the mirror. Think of it as a test drive. You will know the right car when it glides into your driveway, or in this case, your powder room. ;-)

      Sheila

      Delete
    4. :-) So true! Thanks for taking another look!

      Delete
  10. I love the foyer! Beautiful! I am your new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a good one to ask! I picked the tile for 4 bathrooms in one day due to work schedules, and I like one out of the 4! :)
    You have excellent taste, so I trust your choices!

    ReplyDelete