Thursday, April 11, 2013

Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Plus Foodie Friday's 4th Anniversary Party


Welcome to Foodie Friday's 4th anniversary party.
 
Does anyone remember that first event? I managed to lose every link, and my hands shook
as I typed them back into Mr. Linky.

My dear friend Susan, the author of the blog Between Naps on the Porch, stayed up late,
emailing instructions and encouragement.
 
Even now, I always have a few moments of utter fear before I hit the "publish" button for each FF post.  I worry that I have
added the wrong code, that my Internet connection will fizzle, or that the Inlinkz site will be offline.
 
Luckily, my son, Bandwidth, offered to co-host the party. He has a degree in biochemistry and is a true foodie.
 
 



This week, Bandwidth made homemade Worcestershire Sauce, using an easy recipe that beats any store-bought brand. (I helped!)
 
Prep time: 5 minutes.



 
 The aroma is subtle and fresh as a bouquet of wildflowers. The taste is perfectly balanced.
Bottled brands can have a sharp, sinus-clearing smell, and the vinegary tang can overpower
many recipes.

A homemade version is sublime.
 
It might seem complicated to make, but the recipe is fast and simple. You probably have many ingredients in your pantry
(except for two--we ordered ours through Amazon. And, despite the oddness of these ingredients, the sauce smells ambrosial).

 
 


 

Homemade Worcestershire Sauce

Ingredients:
 
1/4 cup Tamarind extract or concentrate
1 tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
fresh lime juice (1 lime)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
 
Into a saucepan, add all ingredients.
Whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil,
stirring constantly for three minutes.
Cool. Strain sauce through a sieve,
the pour liquid into a sterilized jar.
Cap and refrigerate. Keeps 3 weeks.
 
Yield: approximately 3/4 cup


Shopping Sources for Ingredients:
 
Thai Fish Sauce ($1.99, 23 oz)
Tamarind Concentrate ($5.99, 16 oz)
Tamarind Concentrate ($3.99, 8 oz)

During grilling season, homemade Worcestershire is a must-have condiment.




 
Photos by MLee West 



. . .
Did you miss the great recipes at last week's Foodie Friday?
 

Here's our Pick of the Week:
 
 
Strawberry Shortcake with White Chocolate Whipped Cream
just blew us away. It's the perfect spring or summer dessert.
You can find the recipe at That Skinny Chick Can Bake



 
 

Foodie Friday Linky Party Guidelines:

**Be a friend of Rattlebridge in some capacity
(blog friend/follower,
Pinterest, Twitter,
Facebook, or Google+).
 
**Visit at least three other Foodie Friday participants
and leave comments. We're a friendly, social group
and love to chat
about our favorite subject: food.

**Let us know that you're participating in Foodie Friday
by leaving a comment--this is a good place to describe
your recipe in luscious detail, as the thumbnails
don't allow room for description.

**If this is your first time to participate in Foodie Friday,
please leave a comment and introduce yourself.
 
** Your post must include a link back (or "backlink")
to Foodie Friday.
 
We've provided a new, easy link up button.
The cut-and-paste code is located on the sidebar.
 



 










** By adding your link to Foodie Friday, you are granting us permission
to include a photo of your FF recipe (and a link to your blog post)
to the "Pick of the Week" feature. We also select random FF recipes
every Thursday night and Friday for a shout-out on Rattlebridge Farm's Facebook page,
Twitter, and Pinterest. 

** If you love gorgeous food photography,
you're welcome to visit the "Consuming Passions"
group board at Pinterest, which can be found HERE.

** If you are visiting from Pinterest,
you are always welcome to pin Rattlebridge's photographs.
On Foodie Friday, please do not pin from Inlinkz's thumbnails.
To prevent copyright issues, visit the source blogs
to pin and credit the bloggers/photographers for their work.

**Beginning next week, we're testing a new (optional) feature.  You can still link up with a non-themed recipe.
 
** Foodie Friday Theme Parties **
 
April 18 -19th: "Burger Party"
 
April 26-27th: "Spring Salads" 
 
May 2 - 3rd: "Rise 'N Shine Breakfasts"
 
May 9 -10th "Your All-Time Favorite Recipe"
 
 
As with all Foodie Friday events, we like to keep them flexible, stress-free, and fun. Your participation in a theme party is optional. You can link up a non-themed recipe. Older posts are welcome, too.  So, if you posted a salad recipe last month, you could link to the salad party on April 26-27. If you aren't in the mood for salads, you may post whatever you please.
 
We'd love to hear your ideas for a theme party.
 
 The blog is under construction at the moment,
and we're looking forward to a new look!
Thanks for visiting!
 
 
To participate in Foodie Friday, locate the blue Inlinkz icon
and follow the directions.
Click HERE for a detailed Foodie Friday tutorial.
** If you add a Foodie Friday backlink to your post and still have issues,
please visit http://support.inlinkz.com and the Inlinkz help team
will be happy to walk you through the process.


 


Pin It

54 comments:

  1. I have never thought about making my own Worchestershire sauce...seems easy enough and you are right about the sharp taste that the store-bought can have... This is just the right time of year to give it a try!!

    Welcome, Bandwith and thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Bandwidth as your new co-host. I like the idea of weekly themes, too. Homemade Worcestershire sounds intriguing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new header looks beautiful and how wonderful to have co-hosts. Bandwidth's Worcestershire sauce looks gorgeous and would make a great gift. The theme idea sounds fun to me. Thanks so much to both of you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. another nice new header for you~ that skinny chick makes the best desserts, how can she be skinny??? how nice to see bandy part of the team. of course i remember your first foodie friday, i remember pre foodie friday when you first mentioned it to me :-) my how time flies... and the calories and pounds mount!

    i just recently learned a key ingredient was sardines to worcestershire, i have to confess i have been afraid of it ever since... for a girl that loves the sea, i am not a fish person :-( even if i never knew it was in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, Thank You so much for the party and to Bandwidth Welcome and thank you for the recipe...for some reason all the boys in my family love to put Worcestershire sauce even on coffee!!!...it disappears almost as soon as I buy it! Thank You, hope you enjoy my contribution to this week's party, Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 4th to Foodie Friday,it takes a lot of dedication to run a successful linky party for 4 years, my hat is off to you Michael.

    Welcome to the party Bandwidth, I can tell you are a foodie by that awesome recipe you shared with us for homemade Worcestershire Sauce,can't wait to try it.

    Wishing you continued success with Foodie Friday!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 4th Anniversary to you and your co-host! It would have never occurred to me to make Worchestershire sauce! I'm on my over to the Consuming Passions group board :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never even heard of homemade Worcestershire! Must try! I love your new look and theme ideas too! Thanks for a fun foodie party!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 4th Anniversary and thank you for hosting! I also love your new header! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never even heard of homemade Worcestershire ! Must try immediately! Love your new look and the upcoming theme parties, thanks,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I was there with you for that first FOODIE FRIDAY post Miss "G". Its been my favorite party of all time!
    Happy 4th Foodie Friday PARTY my Friend!
    Love Rainey @ The Project Table

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I was there with you for that first FOODIE FRIDAY post Miss "G". Its been my favorite party of all time!
    Happy 4th Foodie Friday PARTY my Friend!
    Love Rainey @ The Project Table

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I remember that first anniversary .. I was 'Living Boldly' then .. I'm 'Poetry Matters' now. I enjoy you, your writing and your blog! Give my regards to Bandwidth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Miss "G"
    Happy 4th Foodie Friday Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear, I forgot to say... Happy 4th Anniversary of Foodie Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 4 years! Thats phenomenal. Keep up the good work and thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband is a grilling fanatic, I can't wait to make this sauce!! Thank you for being our lovely host, Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy anniversary Michael Lee! I've never thought about making my own Worcestershire sauce before but I have all those things in my pantry. I might give it a go. Your Spring banner is just gorgeous. We're coming into Autumn now but still not cold enough here in sunny warm Queensland to even begin thinking about cooler weather. Thanks for hosting and looking forward to your special features.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea. The sauce would be a wonderful gift for various occasions. Happy Anniversary to Foodie Friday. Love the idea of theme posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow..homemade Worcestershire sauce...I've never even learned to PRONOUNCE it, much less MAKE it. hahhaa...this really does sound amazing.
    Happy Anniversary...4 yrs....AWESOME. I've been along every step of the way. :))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been looking a this recipe for a while. I am allergic to soy and market worcestershire sauce has soy. Now I can have my own. Yeah! I pinned it.

    I can sympathize with the glitch problems. I have one now I am trying to resolve to join your party. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you'll have your own Worcestershire. Let me know if I can help with the glitch.

      Delete
    2. Go to the top of my side bar and copy the code beneath the FF "contribution" button. Go to your blog post. Find the place where you want to add the code. Switch to the HTML view and "paste" the the code. Or you could add the code to your sidebar by choosing the "gadget" tool, then HTML option. When the window pops up, paste the code and hit enter. The FF logo button should appear at the top of your sidebar. In "layout," you can move the button anywhere you want. (This will work in Blogger. I don't know about Wordpress, etc.) Or, you could add this to your blog post:
      httP://designsbygollum.blogspot.com. That should work, and you don't need to use the HTML view.
      Hope this helps! We'd love for you to join us.

      Delete
    3. I can't type tonight.
      That should be a small p in http

      http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com

      Delete
    4. Ok, finally got my glitch fixed. It had nothing to do with you. There was some bad code from another site blocking yours. I just redid it and it appears to be fine.

      I made pickles this week. I have started making my own condiments because of preservatives and my soy issue. I am over the moon about finding this worcestershire recipe. I have asked everyone that I could think of and they had no answer.

      Say a prayer for our dear Susan - she is in the hospital.

      Delete
  22. Thanks for the party...congrats on 4 years! Sort of bummed about the theme party idea as that means I won't be able to link up as often but I wish you luck! :)

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't be bummed! The theme parties are totally optional. You can post anything you want at FF, and it doesn't have to be remotely related to the theme.

      Delete
  23. Bandwidth is so handsome - but honestly looks more like a brother than a son, and I bet he hates hearing that all the time and everywhere, huh?

    Home made WCR sauce - wow, I am so going to attempt that one of these days soon - thanks so much.

    And a huge CONGRATS to 4 years anniversary of Foodie Friday - where oh where does the time go?

    Have a truly fantabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on the 4th Anniversary of Foodie Friday! This was one of the very first linky parties I shared recipes with. I'd been blogging for six years back then but had never before had the kind of interaction you get from a linky party. I loved it, and it really revolutionized my blogging career. Thank you so much for hosting. I've brought a delicious Orange Pound Cake to celebrate.

    I love the homemade Worcestershire sauce. I almost always prefer homemade to store bought and Bandwidth's recipe sounds so delicious.

    Happy Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on 4 years of yumminess Michael! Love the pretty new look and great colors of your layout:@)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on your 4th anniversary of Foodie Friday. Thank you for hosting each week and all you do for us. We really appreciate you and Bandwidth. Your homemade Worcestershire sauce sounds amazing. I'm a Southerner and my mother put a dash of Worcestershire in just about everything. It was her secret ingredient. Can't wait to try your homemade version.

    I seem to be a little off schedule for the theme parties...I did a burger a week or so ago and a salad today. My salad today is a steak salad with spinach, blueberries, feta and toasted pecans, great for those of us who are watching calories and carbs. Have a lovely weekend. I hope spring has finally come to your farm.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  27. So there is the infamous Bandwidth!! I love the idea of themes! I don't know how many times I will actually be organized enough to do it right! Maybe over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A handsome and talented son... you must by so proud. Love the recipe. I'm doing mushroom ketchup next week so we are on the same wavelength.
    Congrats on 4 years of bringing bloggers together!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Michael,
    I remember the first time I went to a linky party. I put my entry in 3 times because I didn't think it had linked. I was so embarrassed. I sent an email to the host asking her to take down the extra links and apologizing for being new to the whole thing. 4 years congrats. Love your Worcestershire sauce... I didn't realize what a interesting mixture of things goes in to it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on your 4th anniversary - what a marvelous way to celebrate to cohost with your son! Fascinated by the homemade Worchestershire sauce - I do appreciate you two hosting!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing the recipe for the sauce! I love having a recipe for homemade Worcestershire :)
    I also love the idea of having a themed party! I can't wait :)
    Thank you for hosting, what a great co-host you have this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy 4th Anniversary! Time just keeps flying by doesn't it?

    I have never had homemade Worcestershire sauce and I can't wait to try your recipe!

    This week I shared my recipe for Amaretto Apple Pancakes. The flavor is amazing! This recipe is gluten free, but it can be made using "normal" ingredients if you don't have an issue with gluten.

    Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I will never forget the First Foodie Friday. I wanted to participate so much that I wrote a little poem with pictures. I didn't have a recipe to share because I am the official Auto Chef. ;-)

    Happy Anniversary, Michael! Long may Foodie Friday reign.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Anniversary for Foodie Friday! It is the prettiest food party out there!
    Thank you for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello - Happy Anniversary! I always look forward to linking up to your party and seeing what others are doing. And I love your photos - especially liking the new springy header. It so refreshing especially since we are still getting snow in the midwest :-( This week I am sharing a Asian salad with Chicken - really need a break from winter food!!
    Thanks for hosting this party every week,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Anniversary to Foodie Friday! I have been with you all these years, and you and your co-host make a wonderful team. Bandwidth's Worcestershire sauce will be enjoyed in this household.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Howdy, After a small haitus to blogging I think I am ready to dip my toe back into the water....I have discovered I should have stayed with it ~ I don't know if I can just hop right back into it with all the new gadgets and linky parties etc. Its sounding a bit overwhelming. I hope that Jacob can help me as much as your "Bandwith" helps you. As for that Worchestshire (?? spelling) recipe ~ sounds good to me and I am sure gonna give that a try. Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy Anniversary! I noticed the changes to your blog immediately and they look great. Then I saw your handsome son with his fabulous sounding homemade Worcestershire sauce! That's the only thing we put on a grilled steak so please thank him for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy Anniversary, Michael! I can't believe it's been 4 years already...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  40. Happy Anniversary to you. I've been joining your party since 2010 and have enjoyed all the wonderful posts you have done. Beautiful food photography, and your tablescapes are amazing. Thank you for your comment about my French Macaroons, or Macarons. I had a great time baking the delicious pastry. The recipe is a page long and I plan to add it to my printable recipes if I have enough interest... It is not a recipe for the faint of heart. Thanks again for your comment. I will be back with some more of my "I Whata Do It Once" recipes.
    xo
    Betty @ My Cozy Corner

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy 4th Foodie Friday Birthday! I don't have a single thing to contribute this week. Sort of been running around like the proverbial chicken! We are living on junk food!!

    Love the new look.

    The sauce looks great. Eldest daughter has a degree in chemistry. She is a true foodie, also. We benefit from this every chance we get.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy Foodie Friday Birthday and Many More~Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm having so much problems linking up!! Hope I'm partying soon!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your new header looks great, I love it! Happy birthday to Foodie Friday, wow, 4 years!! Thank you for having me today. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  45. Congratulations on four glorious years! Thank you for hosting us so faithfully, and with such great style Michael & Bandwidth.
    Yay, we all win!! xoxo ~m.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Happy 4th! So happy to be here for 4 years with you!

    Thanks for hosting and being such a gracious host.

    I have to write the new features down and see what I can do! Maybe I can match my scape to the food as I usually only do one post a week. I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my - can't wait to give this recipe a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Would the the Worcestershire recipe still work if you excluded the honey and molasses?

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails