Sunday, April 7, 2013

How NOT to Cook a BBQ Chicken-Apple-Bacon Flatbread Pizza


 

Don't worry.
I'll share the right way to cook this pizza. It really is easy, if you don't suffer from Kitchen Wildness.
But first, a little backstory. When I told my 85 year-old mom what I was cooking for supper, she said, "I've never heard of such!"
I'd made BBQ chicken pizzas before, using BBQ sauce for a base, and my taste-testers had given it a thumb's up. However, I wanted to be edgy and freaky, so I decided to add apples and apple jelly.
I had no way of knowing that I would embark on a culinary disaster, my own personal Poseidon Adventure. 


First, Bandwidth threw away my bacon drippings, which is a felony in the South. But I persevered, slathering extra sauce under and over the toppings.

The finished product looked and tasted like a wet shag rug, not that I've bitten into a rug, but you get the idea.

Bandwidth felt sorry for me, and he was also hungry, so he decided to show me
how to cook a pizza proper! Cooking "proper" is polite Southern slang for, "I'll show you, my pretty, and your little dog, too."

While he cooked, I did a post mortem on my fiasco. If I'd added more Tabasco, or even tossed in some red pepper flakes, I would have only added heat, not depth. The gone-baby-gone bacon drippings would have added depth.

But Bandy's pizzas were perfect.
The cure was to add a small amount of sauce, not a tidal wave.

Easy BBQ-Apple-Bacon Flatbread Pizza
                                               
                                            Quantity: 2 pizzas
2 flatbread crusts
1 deli BBQ chicken
1 apple, cut into small pieces
6 slices applewood bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup sliced green onions
snipped chives
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 - 2 cups shredded cheese
2 tablespoons apple jelly
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/8 teaspoon onion salt (or to taste)
Tabasco--dash
ground pepper and Kosher salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Make the sauce: Whisk jelly, BBQ sauce, Tabasco, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
Prepare the toppings: Cut/chop/or slice the chicken, bacon, apple, bell pepper, and red onion. Set aside.
Place flatbread on pizza stones.
Spread a small amount of sauce on each flatbread, a few teaspoons at a time--less is more!
Or you'll end up with Tsunami Pizza:

Use this photo as a guide:
Sprinkle cheese over sauce. Add chicken, peppers, onions, and apples.
Salt and pepper.
Bake pizzas for 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Note: Watch them carefully because
the jam will burn.
Remove pizzas. Sprinkle with bacon, chives, and green onions.

This adventure left me thinking about odd pizza toppings.
What is the strangest one you've tried? What were the results?

A Foodie Friday contribution.

Photos by MLW; proper pizza by Bandy

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

27 comments:

  1. The pizzas look great Michael! I believe Sweet Baby Ray's had a Raspberry/Chipotle BBQ sauce for a while (might still be out?), I used that and chicken. That's about as adventurous as I get:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to find Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Sounds good!

      Delete
  2. I'm usually a pizza "purist" (plain red sauce, fresh mozzarella, 1-2 fresh basil leaves, drizzle of evoo) but this looks mighty interesting and an explosion of flavor. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you use just a bit of sauce, it's a "barely there" flavor. Not too exotic. But a drenching is another matter entirely, one I shall not do again! :-)

      Delete
  3. I am thinking this sauce would be better then SWR's, the bottle I have in my fridge has HFCS as the first ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure this sauce would be better then a bottled brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Williams BBQ sauce (Atlanta), and it comes close to homemade. But, nothing beats homemade for flavor.

      Delete
  5. That looks yummy! Please "splain" to Bandwidth that "we" live in the South, and in the South "we" do not discard "bacon drippins" ! :-D
    Love these warmer temps.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michael,
    I am like Lynn, I have used the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. Your Apple and Bacon looks awesome, a great combination.

    I was so happy to hear that Zap is doing much better, that is awesome news.

    Looks like you are having a great weekend, thanks for sharing!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - I am pinning this - I love a good pizza (or flatbread!) Have you ever made a pizza with potatoes? had it in Italy once and found a recipe pretty similar... it was good - lots of EVOO, fresh rosemary and garlic.... We liked it. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you pinned it! I haven't tried potatoes, but you've inspired me. I've got to try it!

      Delete
  8. Looks wonderful. I have used bacon, onions or shallots, a little tomato or tomato sauce, along with some feta cheese to make a weird but very tasty pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for the mishap. I thought I was the only one. I really get upset when things go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you aren't alone. You can come sit beside me. I had a doozy of a day today. I even managed to spill cooked rice onto the knife rack. And forgot to cook the wild rice and dumped it into the sauce. Eek. I _think_ it turned out after cooking/steaming for what felt like hours.

      Delete
  10. Oh dear, ML, I'm so sorry about your pizza! My dear hubby hates when I change up his pizza. He is a pepperoni guy! I just asked him yesterday about one I'd like to try and he reluctantly shook his head "yes", but with a few shrugs of the shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My younger son is the same way. He wouldn't touch this pizza, even though he helped me rescue it.

      Delete
  11. Looks absolutely delicious! So easy too! I'm going to try this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm not very adventurous when it comes to cooking.....but am willing to try new dishes. In that respect, i'm wild and crazy.
    Your pizza looks great.

    Delightful day to you,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one good lookin' pizza! I've made many pizzas in my day and I still can recall the strangest. It all started with a gleeful idea of me offering my family something excitingly different and them ultimately begging for more. Well, not so much. Thai Chicken Pizza compares none to its counterpart of, let’s say, succulent Thai grilled chicken. The sauce was a concoction including peanut butter. After baking it was scattered with shredded carrots. Needless to say, there will be no repeats…ever. twizzis

    ReplyDelete
  14. well of course you hooked me with the waves... anything after that is a shoe in of delish! you crack me up with your descriptive narratives, but you wow me with the photos... and such a creative recipe! i have never used flatbread for pizza, does it get crispy? i think of it as soft and pliable, but the more i think the hungrier i get so i will leave well enough alone~


    this kind of reminds me or a recipe i used to love and need to make again, napa quesadillas, with apples, brie, onions, parmesan, jack cheese with cilantro and a mango salsa. your apple jelly is brilliance~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I come from New Haven.. home a crisp pizza and I live in New York... home of the soggy, easy to fold pizza. I like the crispness that Bandwidth got for you the second time around. I totally see why you put the apple and the apple jelly with the barbecue sauce I can taste it in my mind... My mom would find it pretty strange too, probably more so because she's Italian.

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails