Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Simple Supper: Pork Roast with Dark Cherry Balsamic Sauce

 This recipe was inspired by a darling baker, who'd just made strawberry balsamic jam.  I thought it would be perfect with pot roast, and my friend encouraged me to go for it. But when I got to the grocery, the strawberries were overripe.
Oh, no.
What would I cook for supper?
I found the answer on the grocery shelf, a rather unattractive can of dark sweet pitted cherries.
I made a few last-minutes purchases, then came home and began to cook supper.
Pork Roast with Dark Cherry Balsamic Sauce
1 Boston butt (4 to 6 servings)
1  (15-ounce) can dark sweet pitted cherries in heavy syrup.
1 (13 oz) jar Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves
paprika, salt, pepper
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons beef consomme'
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for sauce)
1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter (to sear pork)
12 - 24 fingerling potatoes
6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
fresh chives,  snipped [1 - 3 tablespoons]
Pour canned cherries, including the juice, into a heavy saucepan.
Add 1 jar of cherry preserves, 3 tablespoons beef consomme',
vinegar, sugar, butter, and onion salt.
Stir well, until jam and preserves are blended.
Cook on low flame and reduce the liquid.
(I tend to burn everything, so I always use a flame tamer.)
Meanwhile, prepare the roast. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Season the roast with salt, pepper, and paprika.
Sear the meat in 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
Brown on all sides, and remove meat to a baking dish.
Add carrots, potatoes, and remainder of beef consomme'.
Cover meat with foil and bake 2 hours or until done.
While the meat cooks, stir the sauce.
It should reduce in about 30 minutes. Remove from the flame.
Fifteen minutes before the roast is done,
remove foil and drizzle cherry-balsamic sauce over the roast and vegetables.
Pour sauce into a gravy boat.
Remove roast from oven and let it "collect" itself.
Drizzle with more sauce, if desired.
Garnish with snipped chives.
The sauce is sweet and savory, perfectly balanced.

The next day, if you have leftovers, shred (or slice) the meat and make po'boy sandwiches.
Use the sauce for dipping.

We didn't have leftovers.
Not even a scrap.


You can find the printable recipe HERE.

A Foodtastic Friday contribution.

Pin It


  1. Looks just delicious. Pork, my favourite.

    Anne xx

  2. This looks like an amazing dinner Michael! Very tasty I'm sure:@)

  3. This looks fabulous. There wouldn't be any left-overs at our house either.

    Looking forward to Foodie Friday and your new co-host.

  4. I use pork roast quite a lot and this sounds delicious! Is it a sweet/tart sauce? I'll need to try this! I think this progressive dinner party is quite creative!

    1. Lorraine, the sauce is sweet and savory, not tart at all. If you wanted to add more depth to the sauce, you could substitute bacon drippings for the butter. That would probably send the jam over the moon with flavor.

  5. Mouthwatering. I would eat that right now and it is 7:40 in the morning over here. Just let me finish my coffee first.
    It is one of those meals that looks like a gourmet chef made it yet it is so simple.

    1. I love one-pot meals (well, two pots if I count the saucepan for the jam). :-)

  6. This looks insanely good!! AND, I can't wait to meet the new co-host!!

  7. omg this looks fabulous! so much better then the recipe pic you shared too... oh i am salivating at 8 am! i think the cherries was such an excellent idea... dang i may have to make this today, but i was just primed for your previous recipe too! i must be too hungry to start my day here :-(

    the potatoes look mouth watering too... omg i must make this, i know how i loved the jam, but this is a whole new level with cherries... who took these pics, they are just stellar, they inflict a moist mouth, i would call them excellent! or you can call me pavlov's dog...

    1. You'll like this! I took the photos during the "Golden Hour" and the combination of sun and dark glaze made the roast look scorched in places, but it wasn't. Let me know how your tacos turn out!

  8. I am so making this dish, for company!! I just bought cherry preserves, too! Yum! xo

  9. This sounds delicious and I just discovered Bonne Maman. It is an excellent brand. I will have to try the cherry. I have gone a little bonkers over the red currant.

  10. is that boston butt? Looks like loin. Even better if it is butt.....love a good cut of boston butt.
    Cannot wait to make this! Soon!

    1. Yes, it's a Boston butt (tied with string). It had quite a bit of fat, but the taste was outrageously good. Anything would work with this sauce: tenderloin, beef, ham. (It could also be used as a savory pizza topping, come to think of it!)

  11. Oh.....and wanted to tell you BRAVO on your books! I am sailing in the BVIs for 2 months and have read them all on leisurely afternoons!
    Can't wait for the next one!!

  12. Your photos are absolutely drool-worthy! I've only had boston butt on a smoker after about 12 hours. The cherry balsamic sauce...oh my!

    Your new co-host has my curiosity is piqued! :)

  13. Oh yum...I love the way it is all caramelized and dark on the outer layer...I'd want to eat all of that part! I love balsamic vinegar, it can be used for so many things!

    1. I'm like you--I specially love the caramelized part of BBQ.

  14. As much as I enjoy all your decorating blogs, can you pretty please give us more recipes. Spectacular!

    1. You are so kind so say that, Jeri. Thank you!