Saturday, April 6, 2013

Tartan Day

 I love to celebrate Tartan Week, but this year, it was just too cold
for a picnic.
Nevertheless, I've been outside, walking off the winter pudge
and feeding our peacocks. 
They are living on the front porch and roosting on the steep, hipped roof.
We're talking three stories.

But the peafowl are thriving. 
I snapped a photo of Flannery and O'Connor while they ate last of the rye bread.
It's difficult to take a proper photo of peafowl--they never stop moving.
And they can gulp whole chunks of bread thisfast!
 
Nothing Scottish about peafowl, to be sure, but I had to share.
    
 
I love Scottish quotes and proverbs,
so I gathered a few.
 
''Ae spring brought off her master hale,
but left behind her ain grey tail.''

--Robert Burns (1759-1796), Scottish poet. 
-------------------
  


"Always be a little kinder than necessary."
 
--James Matthew Barrie,
Scottish dramatist and creator of Peter Pan
  --------------
 
   To peek at last year's Tartan Day picnic,
click  HERE.
 
         

                          "The hardest thing in life is knowing                     
              which bridge to cross and which to burn."
                        
--David Russell, Scottish guitarist
 


“To be kind to all, to like many and love a few,
to be needed and wanted by those we love,
is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness."
 
--Mary Stuart, Scottish Queen 1542-1587
 


"Be happy while you're living,
for you're a long time dead."
--Scottish Proverb

--------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Go as far as you can see;
when you get there,
you'll be able to see farther."
--Thomas Carlyle, Scottish historian  
 


"Crones wi' wrinkles hae nae pain."
--Scottish Proverb


Ye'll take the high road, and I'll take the low road,
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye,
But me and my true love will never meet again,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond."
--Scottish folk song, "Loch Lomond."



Take the high road.
Happy Tartan Day!

Pin It

15 comments:

  1. I didn't know about Tartan day. I'll have to get out my Tartan plates for dinner this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I do, too. There's just something so comforting and pretty in all of the criss-crossed lines and colors. A tartan blanket is the textile version of a hug.

      Delete
  3. I so love ALL YOUR PICS! The boots with alstromeria is fabulous... and I vividly remember your picnic of perfection. how fun to have peacocks, I am too afraid they would be a wildlife snack... plus their screams would tick off the neighbors, they are quite chatty ... happy tartan day to you, the things you learn on the net :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have 5 ducks that live in the front yard (but I haven't found their roosting spot). The others, mostly geese (huge), and a few Pekings roam the farm, peck-peck-pecking in the grass. They are comical! As for the peafowl, they are messy (I won't be able to use my white picnic table again, as peafowl do not discern between perching and pooing, lol), but very quiet. How strange is that? I used to drive by a horse farm, and even with my windows rolled up, I could hear the yee-AHs. Our fowl are taciturn. Yesterday at dusk, when I was doing my infernal fat walk, I was preoccupied with huffing and puffing and forgot about the peacocks, until they flew up to the porch rail, and with a great whoosh, ascended to the edge of the roof, skittered over the shingles, and rose again, merging into the dusk. Bandwidth was with me, and even he was awestruck. Definitely a WOW, the aliens have landed moment. These birds aren't dainty; each one is the size of a bulldog but with long, crooked necks. Yet they balanced on the roof top like ballet dancers. This morning, when I passed by the front door, the peas were on the porch. I've told you more than you'd ever want to know (yet I'm leaving out the icky parts, at least) about my peafowl. My city-slickerness is showing here. I'm easily amazed. lol

      Delete
  4. love this post.. and the peacocks..so pretty!!
    definitely words to live by, "“Go as far as you can see; when you get there,you'll be able to see farther."
    thanks for sharing!
    -april

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved hearing about the peacocks! Loved the quotes,too~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute boots...love the peafowl...even if they are noisy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the tartan wellingtons. Just absolutely lovely! I really enjoyed the Scottish Proverb. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Scottish proverb. What a truth it tells. Thanks bunches for visiting me. Olive from Olive Out

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful post. Now to go look at what happened last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, am I ever envious of your tartan boots. Have to find me a pair of those beauties! Glad you posted something for Tartan Day. I've been away visiting my mom, but may just have to pull something together tonight. You are inspiring me, Michael Lee. Love all the Scottish proverbs and quotes. ~
    On the subject of peacocks, my friend who had them on her property had to find them a new home. They kept escaping and stopping traffic in the neighborhood. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your peafowl! And those cute boots! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photos..and how great is it to have gorgeous peacocks on your property!!!..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tartan picnic last year was such fun and one of my favorite posts of yours! I feel the need for tartan wellies :) Love the shots of your peafowl!!

    ReplyDelete