Thursday, June 20, 2013

Foodie Friday: Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Tarts -- 6/21/13


Welcome to the June 21st Foodie Friday,
where good cooks gather each week to talk about our favorite topic: food.
 


This week I've been fighting tick bites and peculiar weather. I hope it's sunny, not too hot,
and bug-free in your neck of the woods.
 
I can't wait to tell you about an easy dessert that I made today.
It takes minutes, can be made ahead, and is a crowd pleaser.



Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Tarts
 
1 package puff pastry shells (frozen)
Godiva Dark Chocolate Sea Salt  (squares--on the grocery's candy aisle)
Drizzled chocolate (Smucker's Special Recipe Dark Chocolate Sauce)
Star cookie cutter
raspberries
whipped cream
 
Before baking puff pastry shells, press a small star cookie cutter into the top (and center) of each shell. Bake the pastry according to directions.  Remove from oven. When pastries are cool,
pop out star centers and set aside. Cut Godiva chocolate into pieces and place into shells.
Bake about 3 to 5 minutes or until chocolate has melted.
Remove from oven and cool.
Add whipped cream. Drizzle with chocolate sauce or melted chocolate. I'm fond of store-bought
chocolate sauce for a quick topping. I zapped the jar in the microwave for 20 seconds, then used a fork to add tiny squiggles over the cream and pastry.
Place "star" pastry cut-out on top of the whipped cream.
Dab a little whipped cream on the bottom of a raspberry and place on top of star.
You can add shaved chocolate, if desired, or raspberry jam.
The variations are endless, and all are easy!
 
Each bite is layered with the crunch of pastry and bittersweet chocolate, with a whisper of sea salt.
 
The fluffy, cloud-like cream rounds out the texture, adding a just-right softness.
A PRINTABLE RECIPE is available.
 

Who can resist chocolate, pastry, and cream?
(And why even try?)
(Will and I have eaten the leftover salty chocolate squares all afternoon.)


 
Foodie Friday's "Picks of the Week"
 
 

Eat Cake for Dinner's Key Lime Bars with Animal Cracker Crust is the perfect summer dessert, tart and sweet with a twist on the classic crust.  Click HERE to read about this recipe or to "pin" it from the source.
 


Home Is Where the Boat Is  presented Cowgirl Couscous Salad that will travel in style (and safely) to any picnic.
DSC_0140.1-001
Click HERE to read about this recipe or "pin" it from the source.



The Lady Behind the Curtain put together a delightful shrimp boil.
Lady Behind The Curtain - Country Shrimp Boil
Click HERE to read about the recipe or to "pin" it from the source.



Click HERE to check out last week's most popular recipes
at Foodie Friday.
 
 
Upcoming Events:
Presenting the Novel Bakers:
 
 a quiet life, Home Is Where the Boat IsOnce Upon a Plate. and Rattlebridge Farm.
 
 
Monday, June 24th, the Novel Bakers will present fun-and-food filled posts
about a whimsical place in southern France.
 
Tuesday, June 25th: Foodie Friday's most popular recipes.
 
Wednesday, June 26th: The Novel Bakers visit a magical place in Italy.
 
                    Friday, June 28th, Foodie Friday, including the Novel Bakers and a Circle of Kindness in Ireland.
 
 
Thanks to all of the great cooks who participate each week. It is always such a treat to see what you've been cooking. You are cordially invited to add photographs of your recipes to the "Consuming Passions" group board at Pinterest, which can be found HERE.

It is a small, sociable group; Foodie Friday folks are always welcome to "pin" with us and chat about food. Just leave a comment on one of my recent"pins," so I'll be sure to see it, and I will send you an invitation. Or you can email me.
 
To participate in Foodie Friday, locate the blue Inlinkz icon and follow the directions. The red "x"
will allow you to delete your link if you made an error; the "x" is visible to you only.

For a complete guide to this linky party, click HERE. If you have still have questions, click HERE
for a detailed Foodie Friday tutorial.

** By adding your link to Foodie Friday, you are granting us permission to include a photo of your FF recipe (and a link to your blog post) in the "Picks of the Week" feature or on our Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest pages.

 
I would like to ask pretty please if Pinners will "pin" photos of the "Picks" and all FF contributions from the source blogs, not from Foodie Friday. 
 
Thanks so much for visiting  today. I am always inspired by your recipes--and by you. Food blogging is more difficult than any kind because of the sheer work that goes on behind the scenes--planning, shopping, prep work, cooking, taking photographs, culling those photos, and cleaning.  I am amazed by your ideas and creativity.
 
 
Have a great, food-filled weekend.
 
Love,
Mlee and Bandwidth 
 

 

42 comments:

  1. Your dessert is very pretty Michael! Love the little RW&B fanned food pics too:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at your wonderful R-W-B recipes. Also, I'm going to make your cilantro salt for my brother.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the party Michelle :)
    These chocolate tarts are heavenly looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sending Jacob to the store for puff pastry today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Jacob is like Bandwidth, he will love the bread and chocolate combo.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I will take 2 - no make it 3 and I will just skip dinner. :-D
    Right there with you - it is hot, humid and mosquitoes are swarming. Good ole Summer time!:/
    Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a pocket of rain in your part of the state the other day and wondered if the mosquitoes were attacking. I am looking for a soothing bug balm on Pinterest.

      Delete
  5. Hi Michael Lee, those festive star tarts are so adorable! I want one now and I want to make them. I already have the shells in the freezer...woo hoo! Your pics are wonderful and so patriotic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not even 30 minutes ago, I bought puff pastry sheets for apple butter turnovers. I'm now doing a
    U-turn to get puff pasty shells! I have company coming next weekend, so this will be perfect. Thanks for hosting our party each week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Let me know how they turn out. The Chocolate Sea Salt Godiva is to die for! It might be better than the tarts!

      Delete
  7. I love the easy pastry recipe - they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for including your wonderful recipes!

      Delete
  8. Hi Michael,
    Your Star Tarts are just adorable and perfect for the season. Hope you are having a good week and thanks for hosting.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love your recipes, Miz Helen. Thanks for including them at FF!

      Delete
  9. Such a pretty presentation! Thank you for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just lovely. Thanks for hosting! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you have great weather this weekend!

      Delete
  11. Hi guys, My favorite party of the week! I love that it's all about food and no random "how to wash your dog in the shower" type posts! I admire how you are always updating and improving your blog Michelle, I don't know how you keep up with everything! I would love an invite to pin to the Consuming Passions group board, not like I need to be spending any more time on Pinterest...thanks for great recipes, and ever inspiring~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your recipes every week! I sent you an invitation to the board a little while ago. So glad you're joining us!

      Delete
  12. Why even try to resist indeed~ love the perfectly patriotic RW&B picks and the stars! Hope the tick bites aren't on you! Thanks so much for featuring my Cowgirl Couscous Salad. Looking forward to a week of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am "tick bitten," for sure but taking antibiotics. Going to make your couscous salad this weekend!

      Delete
  13. Those tarts look amazing!
    Thank you so much for hosting the great party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm drooling over your key lime pancakes--so divine!

      Delete
  14. What a great dessert and the star cutout is a clever 4th of July addition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Michael,
    Thanks for hosting one of my favorite parties and for featuring my Country Shrimp Boil Party. Have a nice week!
    ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for hosting! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Michael, those tarts are making me want to lick the screen! oh goodness...they look delicious and the drizzle of chocolate, well...perfection! Thank You for hosting the party!
    You and your family have a great weekend!, Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have such a weakness for whip cream and chocolate so i would not be able to resist your tarts! I'm glad to participate this week with a post about one of the unusual places where I celebrated a special birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for hosting. I see some delicious things here that I need to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those dark chocolate tarts look like something that my husband would just love and they look fairly easy to make too. Thanks for some gorgeous photos and a great recipe. I'm on my way to look for that salt chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your tarts are so my kind of dessert. I'm drooling just thinking of the first bite. Many thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for hosting, those Dark Chocolate Sea Tarts look delicious! I wanted to let you know if you are interested in owning your own grain mill stop by my blog, I'm doing a giveaway for one! On The Home Front

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Michael Lee! Thanks for hosting the yummiest linky in blogland!!! The NOVEL BAKERS are a fabulous group!!!! I must not miss one of your fun posts!!! You have really teamed up with a two great gals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my that is mouth watering... they look like cream puffs from heaven with the chocolate drizzling down mounds of fluffy fun... the star is a dazzling toppper too, its not nice to salivate before the sun even rises, i can tell my sweet tooth won't be happy until i cave~

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just discovered how amazing sea salt chocolate is. These tarts are so beautiful and festive...gorgeous picture.

    And fabulous linkup!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What beautiful desserts!! They look like a little work of art!
    I must put "Godiva Dark Chocolate Sea Salt" on my shopping list. I've never tasted it before...imagine that. :-p

    Thank you for doing FF again this week. Sorry to hear about the creepy crawlies...makes me shudder just to think about it. ~~ugh~~

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow, your tarts look incredible and so tasty :) I agree with what a quiet life said, they look like cream puffs from heaven :) So glad to have come across your lovely blog - I am now following along and I am excited to visit again.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    theenchantingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete