Monday, June 17, 2013

Sunny Disposition

Whenever I see a sunflower, I always smile.

Their upturned faces are always looking skyward, and their stalks will actually bend to track daylight.  Organic blossoms are edible, brightening salads, soups, entrees, and desserts.

"Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men or animals.  Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident;
others again are plain, honest and upright,
like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock."
-- Henry Ward Beecher

Festive Sunflower Cake
Your favorite recipe for a lemon pound (or layer) cake
Cool Whip buttercream icing
edible sunflowers 

Be sure to check back on June 24th, 26th, and 28th for three special food and fun-filled posts with the

Pin It


  1. Love this, they sure made me smile. fondly ~lynne~

  2. I want that cake stand!!!! The cake looks awesome. I will be away on thse dates:(:( MAYBE joe will have his laptop, I hope. XO, pinky

  3. I want that cake stand!!! Your cake looks delicious AND beautiful! We will be away on those dates but hopefully Joe will have his laptop. XO, Pinky

  4. Love it! I can't wait to see what you lovely ladies have in store for us!

  5. You are right- sunflowers are wonderful!

    I never realized they were edible - nice to know when I get the munchies, haha, jk.

    LOVE that wicker cake stand- never saw one like that, it's divine!

    Have a wonderful week!!

  6. Great idea! I know this group will have something fun to share.
    The cake looks delicious! Those sunflowers make me smile, and that is an adorable table cloth. Are the figures Breton, as in Quimper?

  7. The setting is so pretty, and the cake sounds/looks yummy, but have to admit I have never eaten sunflowers.
    Have a great week!

  8. Oh my! So yummy.

    Granny's Down Home Southern Cooking

  9. i am getting excited and worried at the same time about the novel bakers! i have had so much fun prepping, but when i see how creative the rest of you are it makes me swallow hard, PLUS i have seen you fancy new prop that will surely make pistoulet soar at your house! its so fun to play again, your cake looks delish!

  10. What a showstopper of a cake!!!! The flowers are like a crown! I'm looking forward to your food-filled posts!

  11. Yesterday at the market they had sunflowers 2 large bunches for $10. I was going to purchase them, but I am such a retched arranger they look sad. I really could use a little tutorial. Yours are just gorgeous.

  12. I adore sunflowers! That cake is orgeous and sounds delicious! I'm inspired to bake something today!
    Miss Bloomers

  13. Yes...sunflowers like daisies can put a smile on anyone's face..I love them..they are the happiest of the cake Michael...and looking forward to the event of those great ladies!!

  14. What a beautiful blooming cake and I adore the cake stand! I must try Cool Whip icing, I smile every time I see the commercial. Happy Baking to you~ I'm a wee bit intimidated to bake alongside a novelist :)

  15. Dear One,
    Your cake is gorgeous. Beautiful to see and I can just about taste this in my mouth!!!

    Sunflowers rule!