Saturday, July 20, 2013

Renovation Diary--Mid-Summer

 
Back in January 2012, when the renovation began, I thought we would
paint and add a man cave for Dr.Will.
 
So far, it's been a wild, curvy ride.
 
Before:


 
 
 
Now:
 
 The bricks were painted SW's Tennessee Limestone.
The trim color is SW Shoji White.
 
I finally selected a shutter color, a warm gray-brown.
 
Timberlane sent sketches, along
with photos of the shutter dogs and hardware.
 We chose louvered shutters, btw.
They'll be here soon.
 
 
 
White-washing is in progress on the porch steps.
The painters are returning to apply another coat. Or two.
 
Still have to find exterior lighting. 


You may remember the inspiration photo for the kitchen.
It has intricate trim-work.
 
 
My kitchen is in the hands of local craftsmen.
I'm so proud of them.

 
 
 
 
Do you remember the "before" photo?


 
The "in progress" photo shows a beehive of activity. 
We're still fine-tuning the trim.

 
 
 
 The granite has arrived at the fabricator's shop.
Now, I must select an edge.


 
In the adjacent room, we're updating the fireplace.
 
BEFORE:
 
 
You can see the new mantel below:
 
Sheetrock covered the bricks.
(The base will stay as is.)
Calacatta marble will be installed around the firebox.
 
 
Coming up:
 
**Master Bath update
The vanities are from Restoration Hardware.
 
I decided not to order the marble tops after I found a pretty
slab of Super White granite. It has the look of marble, with
a bit of warmth--and it will hopefully be more durable.

 
 
 
 **  6' 8" interior doors will be replaced with 8' doors.
 
**The rear porch will be enclosed.
A rail will be added along the roof (and skylights).
 
 
Thanks so much for visiting and reading.
Have a great weekend!


 
Linking to the following parties: 
 

 
Pin It


19 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH.

    My heart is just beating like crazy.

    This is truly a dream happening for you all - just wow beyond WOW.

    Your changes speak volumes, Michael - and it is all so very exciting and incredible.

    This has been - still is - a really fun adventure! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and growing it with us. I feel honoured.

    When it's all done I would loooooove to come with a bottle or two of wine and have a true and real look-see! Sincerely! Open House! : - )

    WHOO HOO - it's all so incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you have accomplished is just amazing. I love what you've done with the fireplace and the color you've chosen for the exterior is perfect. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is stunning with all the trim. I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that kitchen makes my heart sing every time you share it! i still can't believe the ceiling bump up up and away, the molding is fabulous. the bath looks fabulous with the new pieces. and the sunroom you have planned, be still my heart~

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever have the opportunity, I want a kitchen just like the one you are creating. I'm in awe of your vision for changing the original and the the incredible craftsmanship that is going on to make this kitchen a reality. Love seeing the updates. This is going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is simply stunning! I love seeing the updates and the craftsmanship is unbelievable. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the journey.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly enjoy reading about all your endeavors. Your home and grounds are lovely. Thank you for being so nice and sharing it with us.

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful kitchen you are going to have when the construction has been completed. Would love to come and cook something with you in that lovely kitchen!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoooly schnikeys! I've been following your blog for a while but guess I don't read it enough! Your house is mind blowingly gorgeous!!! I'm definitely going to pop in here more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love the painted brick! The difference is amazing! I can not wait to follow the rear porch transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, ML...it is just coming along beautifully! I am so impressed with the changes...it looks like a completely different house! So much lighter & more up to date now. BRAVO!!

    I know you'll be happier with the granite. When we first moved into our FL home, which we built, we had marble window sills. The first week in, I placed a tomato in the window, to ripen. Little did I know it would leak juices & stain the marble so quickly. When we sold that house 9 yrs. later, that stain was still there! Nothing I tried would get rid of it! I have granite now all over the place & love it. Be sure it is sealed.

    I'm so excited for you & I know you can't wait till move in day!

    fondly,
    Rett

    Packages arrived intact, BTW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I have been following all along but it is not until you see the work on one post that you see ALL the work you have put in. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Light is very important to me, and you have done a fantastic job capturing it in the kitchen - the place I spend most of my time. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how you can stand it, my patience is stretched just anticipating the final day you can enjoy that incredible house!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my Lord, Michael Lee, your home is the most gorgeous - so grand! I really like how y'all painted the outside brick and can't wait to see the shutters. Your kitchen! I love it. That window is amazing! You're going to cook your little author heart out in there! :) Your new home is just so beautiful and I'm so proud for you.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Just gorgeous! The ceiling in the kitchen makes a huge difference. The mouldings are just beautiful...lovely choices you have made. The fireplace is fabulous as well. Will love seeing the progress as you go along. Cheers, Catherine (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a wonderful post...as more and more older homes are going on the market, this is so valuable! This would be perfect to link up to my Create It Thursday post…it's live now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Your home is going to be amazing!! Such a dream come true for you I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your home is so beautiful! You can't help but write great books living in such a glorious location.

    ReplyDelete