Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Novel Bakers Present Lavender Week: Day 2

The Novel Bakers have been cooking all summer to bring you seven days
of lavender-themed recipes, tablescapes, gardens, and more.

I can't wait to see what the girls have been up to:

During yesterday's introduction, I talked about being a lavender virgin. Before I
read The Lavender Cookbook  by the late Sharon Shipley, I'd never worked with this herb.
To me, lavender evoked memories of the perfume factories in Grasse, France.
I remember how I wandered through the stores, moving through great drifts of fragrance. 
I bought gifts for my family, tucking soap and bath salts into my luggage. When I got home and unzipped my suitcase, the lush, purple fields of Provence tumbled out.
The whole time I was in France, I didn't buy a single bag of culinary lavender,
mainly because I wanted to wear the fragrance, not chew it.
Now, I'm mesmerized by this whimsical herb.
However, my family needs a bit of prodding.
I modified our favorite granola recipe to include lavender.
Lavender Granola
What You Need:
1 large baking pan (I used a disposable turkey pan)
4 c. old fashioned oats
1 c. chopped pecans
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 T. organic flax seed
1 T. wheat germ
Add your favorite goodies:
chopped dates
dried cranberries
dried cherries
dried raspberries
coconut flakes
breakfast trail mixes
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Place dry ingredients into the pan and mix.
1/2 cup lavender honey
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon culinary lavender
Mix and pour over dry ingredients.
Blend well.
Place pan in oven and bake 15 minutes. Stir.
Bake 15 more minutes Stir. Continue baking in 5 minute increments or
until granola is brown. Watch it carefully!
Remove from oven and cool.
Lavender adds a layer of magic to this recipe.
It's delicious by itself, with milk, or sprinkled over ice cream.
This granola can be incorporated into a key lime or lemon pie crust. Just add graham cracker crumbs and pulverize in a food processor. But you'll probably want to eat this cereal with a spoon.
It's a good thing that it's healthy--because it's addictive.




I hope you're enjoying our herbal adventures
Thanks for visiting!

Pin It


  1. Wow, that granola sounds wonderful! My favorite use of lavender is in ice cream sandwiches. The lavender is in the cookie part. What a fun and fragrant week this will be on your blog!

    P.S. my mystery ingredients arrived in the mail.

  2. gosh i love how the words tumble off the pages... coupled with your pics i am just transported. lavender granola! oh how fun to start your day such a sweet way.

    and your photos... they do speak to me, ALL just gorgeous... what is that fabulous lavender piece under the bowl, exquisite! i wish i didn't have melon for breakfast, or that at least i had sprinkled the taste of fairy dust...

    loving me this lavender week

    1. A linen tea-towel sits beneath the bowl. I found it at Amazon.com. Enjoying Lavender Week--so happy to be playing along.

  3. What a wonderful series you are doing - I almost feel like I can smell it!

  4. These posts are making me very curious to taste lavender. Your mosaics are so attractive.

  5. Michael Lee, your images are stunning. Can't wait to try making some lavender granola.

  6. Lavender Granola!! I wish I had all the ingredients to whip up a batch for breakfast! Your photos are so beautiful...and your mosaics are stunning! So many beautiful and delicious things to come!

  7. mmmmm...lavender granola sounds like such a gentle start to the day...I can almost taste it through your photos...