Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Apple Brie Bruschetta with Bacon, Honey, and Pecans

Welcome to Apple Week,
presented by The Novel Bakers. 

When I was planning menus for this event, my shopping list was a bit on the sweet side. On impulse, I gathered a few items for a savory experiment.
 
Apple Brie Bruschetta.




 
Apple Brie Bruschetta with Bacon, Honey, and Pecans
 
Serves 6
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
 
1 bakery baguette, cut into 14 one-half inch slices
1/2 pound brie wedge (I used Ile de France)
olive oil (enough to brush on each bread slice)
12 slices of applewood smoked bacon
2 honeycrisp apples, thinly sliced
juice of 1 lemon
3 pats unsalted butter
extra virgin olive oil
honey
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped pecans
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
 
Place baguette slices on a baking pan. Brush each side with olive oil. Place pan in the oven and bake three minutes on each side or until toasted. This is healthier than the pan-browned version. Fewer calories, too!
 
Remove pan from oven.
Fry bacon and drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside.
Cut rind from the brie and discard. Cut cheese into thin pieces, approximately the size of each bread slice. Bake for 2 to 4 minutes or until the brie has melted. Remove pan from oven.
Slice the apples, the thinner the better, and toss in fresh lemon juice.
Arrange 1 apple slice on top of the brie.
In a skillet, add a few shakes of EVOO and 3 pats unsalted butter. Toast the chopped pecans, tossing frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain. Add pecans to bacon and mix.
Spoon the nut-and-bacon mixture on each bruschetta and drizzle with honey.
Delicious served warm or room temp.
 
 


 
Each bite delivers a scrumptious, layered treat--sweet, savory, crunchy, smooth. They were a hit with Will, and even Bandwidth (who hates apples) came back for seconds. 

When I wasn't looking, Bandy made a little garnish. 

The experiment was a success!

This appetizer is a bit crumbly, so have a thick stack of napkins for your guests.
Of course, if you've made bruschetta for a quiet dinner at home, throw caution to the wind, along with a few nuts.


Apple Week was inspired by Susan Wiggs' bestselling novel, The Apple Orchard.
I'll return tomorrow with a whimsical look at the book plus another apple dish.





Apple Week continues today with fellow bakers Mary, Jain, and Pam.
I can't wait to see what these talented ladies have prepared. Weaving words and photography, they've taken already taken us on picnics and a tour of a California orchard.
I'm looking forward to today's apple adventures with the girls.
 
 Jain   a quiet life,

 

Shared at Metamorphosis Monday.

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

18 comments:

  1. This sounds like a perfect nibble Michael! Something I know I'd love:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really know how to make food beautiful. Apple and brie sound like a delicious combination of flavors and with pecans? ooh, la, la.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful vignette and the recipe sounds heavenly and perfect for fall! -I don't eat bacon- (my husband loves it) do you think it would work if I skipped it for one batch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok. done and done. Making these for tailgate party this weekend for LSU game!!! perfecto!

    Happy Happy day late Birthday to you....took me forever to get thru all of your delicious birthday wishes last night!! me thinks lots of ladies love you bunches!!!! Feels good, eh??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope you are happy and refreshed after your fabulous bday! today i can properly comb over the pics i missed yesterday, i was to busy screaming at you to hurry up and come plug in the machine!

    what a fabulous combo, i am not a pecan girl, but i will make mine with almonds, i must try this! i am planning on making brie, apple, and caramel panini this week too, am still stuck in the apple mode, once you start collecting recipes its hard to turn off the apple spigot!

    your pics are mouthwatering and thank heaves bandy popped in some food decor on an otherwise beautiful setting ;-)

    great way to start my day, hungry before the mornings first light!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just read that you had a birthday and I hope it was a happy one.

    I am supposed to be resting my hand, but I wanted to drop by here first to give you a cyber hug.

    All the best for the year to come and always...

    xo,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so pretty and sounds delicious....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be having the grandest birthday week ever. I am one year ahead of you.♥

    This looks so good!!! I think we might be having it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, YUM!!! I can't wait to try this and it is going into my holiday appetizer file for sure. Thanks once again!!

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my...what's not to love with this delicious and mouth-watering combination! Of course, I love your quilt and bee skep style bird house! A few slices of Apple Brie Bruschetta could could be dinner with a glass of wine next weekend when my hubby is out of town next weekend. It doesn't happen very often so I have to make plans and minimal cooking is on the docket :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderful - I have printed the recipe and I am going to try it next time I have people over. Looks so yummy.....
    Thanks so much.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great take on traditional bruschetta. I can't wait to try these.

    - the Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautifully styled appetizer, Michael Lee. Your photos make me want to just grab a bruschetta right through my iPad. I know they must taste as good as they look. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, boy, I'm going to try this one...it looks and sounds amazing.
    Happy Birthday !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this looks pretty and delicious! I know what I'm taking next week to a dinner party with friends. Beautiful presentation, Michael Lee. I can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my favorite thing to eat, a little crust of bread with a wonderful topping! I have been sick for 2 days and this is the first thing that has appealed to me, you have brought my appetite back, can't wait to try this! Your plating is stunning~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bruschetta looks quite appealing and the photos delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Michael, This bruschetta looks beautiful as always and sounds splendid. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete