Thursday, October 3, 2013

Foodie Friday Plus the 2nd Mystery Ingredient Club

Welcome to Foodie Friday, where great food is always on the menu.
And welcome to the 2nd Mystery Ingredient Club!

October is the month when the light turns golden and the air holds a chill.
We've been busy setting out pumpkins and corn stalks...and filling the house with spooky items.


These spheres were inspired by Nell Hill's.

 
I collect snow globes, and I particularly like my spooky ones:


Minnie Pause the scarecrow is joining us today.

Minnie, click your heels three times, please.
 
 Can you guess the mystery ingredient?



 The mystery ingredient is . . .
sprinkles!
 


 


Triple Chocolate Halloween Cup Cakes
Yield: 1 dozen
 
                                                        adapted from a recipe by Martha Stewart
 
Cupcakes:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, melted, and cooled
1 cup hot cocoa
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add baking powder, flour, and salt. Mix well.
Add melted chocolate, cocoa, and hot cocoa. Using a mixer, whip for a minute or two. When mixture has cooled slightly, add beaten eggs and vanilla extract.  Whip until creamy.
Pour batter into paper-lined muffin tin. Pop tin into a pre-heated 350 degree F oven.
Bake 20 minutes or until done.
 
Chocolate Frosting:
from Food Network

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 stick butter (softened)
3 cups powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine sugar and cocoa. Mix thoroughly.
In a second bowl, add 1 c. of sugar/cocoa mixture to stick of butter and 1 T. cream.
Mix well.
Add 1 cup sugar/cocoa and 1 T. Cream.
Mix well.
Keep adding sugar/cocoa and cream.
Beat until frosting is light and flurry.
Beat in vanilla.
 
 Spread frosting on top of cooled cupcakes. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
Royal icing, tinted with food coloring, was used for a second batch of vanilla cupcakes, which
were made from a Betty Crocker mix. Several were iced with leftover chocolate icing (it was too delicious to waste) and topped with orange frosting.

I found festive Halloween cupcake liners at the grocery. The little "toppers" and the solid, dark orange liners were found at Amazon.







Here's a list of bloggers who are participating in the 2nd Mystery Ingredient Club.
Just wait until you see what they did with the sprinkles! So much fun and creativity.
Thanks to these kind, talented ladies for playing along!
Kitty at Kitty's Kozy Kitchen
Lynn at Happier Than a Pig in Mud
Mary at Home Is Where the Boat Is
Jain at a quiet life
Sherry at The Charm of Home
Debbie at Mountain Breaths
Yvonne at Stone Gable
Martha at Lines from Linderhof
Mari at Once Upon a Plate plus A Second Recipe
Pam at Sidewalk Shoes
Kathleen at Cuisine Kathleen
Rett from The Gazebo House



Foodie Friday wouldn't be the same without our ducks, better known as "The Fabulous Five."
 
The ducks approached Minnie with caution--would the scarecrow have bread or an icky broom? 
 
Let's save a cupcake for Dr. Will.

 
Before you go, Dear Foodies, I have a question . . .  
I've had several emails from bloggers who wondered if I would change the next Mystery Ingredient Club. Here's how it will work: I will email or post the mystery ingredient, and bloggers can purchase it and have fun whipping up a FF version of "Chopped."
I hope you'll join us!

The next Mystery Ingredient Club will have a holiday theme. The date is Friday, December 6th.
Please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

 

 If you are participating in Foodie Friday, please take a moment to read the guidelines.
To add a link to your post, locate the blue Inlinkz icon in the lower, left-hand portion of this post. Click on the icon and follow the directions. After you complete the process, you will see a red "x"
beside your name. This allows you to delete your link if you made an error; the red "x" is visible to you only.

For a complete guide to this linky party, click HERE.

** Would you like to add your recipes to the "Consuming Passions" group board at Pinterest?
It can be found HERE. We're a small, sociable group; Foodie Friday folks are always welcome to "pin" with us and chat about food. Just leave a comment on one of my recent"pins," so I'll be sure to see it, and I will send you an invitation. Or you can email me.

 Thanks for visitin'!

 
 






 

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

35 comments:

  1. Hi, is there a glitch? Photos are not displaying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Gilda Radner always said - Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Lee, your cupcakes are adorable, and I'm seriously craving one of those chocolate delights right now. Will be making this recipe.
    I had a lot of fun with the mystery ingredients. Originally I'd planned to make caramel apples, pretzel rods, and the moon pies, but life called me out of town with little time to follow through. Hope you like the moon pies. '-)
    Great idea to post the mystery ingredients and let us get them on our own. You've been above and beyond generous with this project.Count me in. I'd love to continue to play along.

    Love all the fall inspiration around Rattlebridge. I hope to add some fall touches around here soon. My sister has her home all ready for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael Lee! I enjoyed the MIC and trying to decide what to make with the fun sprinkles. I so love your cupcakes. You are the Queen of Gilding for sure! Minnie Pause is such the perfect hostess for Foodie Friday this week. What fun to see all your decorations and your ducks on the lawn. Hope you're feeling better. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cupcakes look yummy Michael! Earl and I loved playing along with the MIC-thank you! Just let us know what the ingredient is and we'll be there in December:@) I love that everyone has done something different so far, that's really fun! Happy fall:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Spooktacular fun, I love seeing Minnie dressed for Halloween and your fabulous five joining the party! All your decorations including pumpkins and those wonderful spheres are so festive. Your cupcakes look positively spooky with their sprinkles and picks! Thanks so much for the Halloween fun, Happy Boo to You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun party, those ducks are just perfect and the cupcakes look awesome! Looks like you may be feeling better and having fun, thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how fun is this! i love your GIANT spheres and punkins gracing minnie in her dorothesque holiday attire, that girl gets around! the tables the details are all spookylicious! great job on the cupcakes, thanks so much for letting us play along with you, you have the fab 5, i always have a cat or two dusting my heels.

    good idea on your mystery club, its too costly for you to subsidize us all! i think you should stick with one odd ball ingredient, do a secret mailing to those that sign up like 2 weeks before and tell us specifically what brand to buy etc so we are clones under your spell. just my 2 cents worth ;-)

    thanks again for hosting and sharing the goodies, loved your mysterious duck party~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Michael Lee, Your cupcakes are so adorable and I think Minnie Pause flown by my house recently! ;)
    I would love to join in your Mystery Ingredient Club - this sounds like so much fun! So delighted to join your party this week - I do appreciate you hosting - have a blessed - chilly autumn weekend!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cupcakes and your Jack Skellington snow globe! I had a lot of fun with the MIC. Thank you so much for the opportunity! I think it would be great fun to see what would come of a holiday party with the MIC. I would love to do it again. Thank you so much for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGoodness, all of your decorations are fabulous! LOVE those spheres!!! Where did you find them? The cupcakes look fabulous and Minnie is beautifully overseeing everything;):) Hope the ducks don't like cupcakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Thanks so much for hosting, Michael!
    Loved seeing all your fun and fabulous photos!
    Have a beautiful weekend,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pinky, it's nice to see you! Here's the link to the spheres: http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Garden-Spheres-Retro-Decor/dp/B00DECNY8Q/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1380852082&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=iron+garden+spheres

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much fun, loving the spheres, I have been drooling over the ones from Nell Hill! Your cupcakes are adorable, the laboratory of sprinkles brings all kinds of mischief to mind! I would love to participate in the mystery ingredient club, I end up buying everything y'all use any way! This is a great way to kick off Halloween, thanks for the party!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, simply wow, wow! Amazing decorations for Halloween and the adorable cupcakes are too sweet! Thank you so much for hosting pretty Michael. I have lots of sweets you would love to see. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your party is so fun to see, especially the Fab 5 duckies. I hope they behave better than my three doggies, who would likely have helped themselves to some goodies -- not being spooked by the scary thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun post, Michael. Minnie is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your cupcakes!!
    Thank you for the party and I wish you a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a challenge for me since I am sprinkle challenged! In the end, I did enjoy this challenge and my recipients did also ;o) Minnie is a hoot dressed for Halloween and the fabulous five made me smile. Oh those wonderful spheres that I have admired at Nell Hills look fantastic in your landscaping. I could sink my teeth into one of those cupcakes all dressed up so spooky. Thanks so much for hosting the MIC and FF. I'm in for December.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, your decorations are just fabulous. Love those wonderful spheres. They are so attractive with the pumpkins. Why you should be on a Halloween house tour. Your cupcakes are amazing too and so professional.

    Minnie Pause - I had to smile. What an adorable witch she is. Personally, I've been through it and many thought I was a witch:) Thanks as always for hosting. Have a nice weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Michael Lee, Thanks so much for including me in your fun Mystery Ingredient Club! The sprinkles were a brilliant idea!
    Your cupcakes looks over-the-top delicious! YUMMY! Minnie is so darn cute and those ducks... gave me a good giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun event! I loved the selection of the Creepy Sprinkles as this month's mystery ingredient. Halloween brings out the child in all of us. I wish I could reach into the screen and take one of your luscious cupcakes to enjoy with my morning coffee. Thanks for hosting this event, ML. I love being a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had such fun with this Mystery Ingredient but I love holiday cupcakes -- yours are so much cleverer than mine! And great pictures with all of the Halloween accouterments!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the cupcakes and all your Halloween decor! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Michael Lee, beautiful cupcakes, thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Michael ~ not only are you a wordsmith, you're a PARTYsmith!! You have me giggling and grinning all the way through your adorable post. Those cupcakes look absolutely decadent, and your witch with the ruby red slippers ~ what a HOOT! Love the duckies rushing up to see what's going on ~ great capture. Thank you so much for hosting us! xoxo~m
    P.S. I like the idea of emailing us with the name of the mystery ingredient so we can get it ourselves, no need for you to subsidize us all for heaven's sakes. I'm IN, no matter what you decide. Hope you're feeling better. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness, you certainly had FUN with this one! LOVE Minnie...and the ruby slippers. So creative & the ducks just added to the goofy atmosphere.
    Thanks a million for letting me "play" with you & the other Mystery Ingredient Club members. I had a blast & so did Ms. C. She helped with several creations.
    I agree with Jain & Mari....just TELL people what the strange ingredient that you're using & let us buy it ourselves.
    Half the fun of any purchase is the hunt, right? LOL

    Hugs of appreciation,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  28. I said that to you the first time, let us buy it. That way anyone who wants to can take part. I think I wrote that in my comment the first time you mentioned it!
    Your cupcakes are adorable, and that is what sprinkles are made for, right? I really tried to think of something different, but no revelations happened. Don't kick me out!
    Thanks so much for this fun party! Can't wait for the next! Why are we skipping November? The secret ingredient is...............:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those orbs are really awesome looking! Thanks for hosting. :-)
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for hosting Michael Lee.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for hosting Michael Lee, what cute creative post you have. I am just loving Minnie Pause, she's real hoot. Your cupcakes all look wonderful, the sprinkles top them off beautifully. I see a lot of wonderful recipes to try from today's links. Pumpkin cakes, fiesta stuffed hamburgers, slow cooked apple butter, cheddar ale soup, and that just names a few...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  32. P.S. I am all for the idea of you emailing us with the name of the mystery ingredient so we can get it ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think that sounds like a great way to do it!!

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails