Thursday, November 7, 2013

Foodie Friday

Welcome to the November 8th Foodie Friday, where great food is always on the menu.
Our internet service is hiccupping tonight--and so are several family members. Without further ado, here is your Foodie Friday party.
 
 
3 Hearty Recipes for November


#1 Pork Roast with Dark Cherry Balsamic Sauce

Ingredients:

1 Boston butt (4 to 6 servings)
1  (15-ounce) can dark sweet pitted cherries in heavy syrup
1 (13 oz) jar Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves
paprika, salt, pepper
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons beef consomme'
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for sauce)
1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter (to sear pork)
12 - 24 fingerling potatoes
6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
fresh chives,  snipped [1 - 3 tablespoons] 

Pour canned cherries, including the juice, into a heavy saucepan. Add 1 jar of cherry preserves,
3 tablespoons beef consomme', vinegar, sugar, butter, and onion salt. Stir well, until jam and preserves are blended. Cook on low flame and reduce the liquid. (I tend to burn everything, so I always use a flame tamer.) Meanwhile, prepare the roast. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Season the roast with salt, pepper, and paprika. Place meat in a large, all-purpose pan and sear the meat on all sides in 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Transfer meat to a baking dish.
Add carrots, potatoes, and remainder of beef consomme'. Cover meat with foil and bake 2 hours or until done.While the meat cooks, stir the sauce. It should reduce in about 30 minutes. Remove from the flame.Fifteen minutes before the roast is done, remove foil and drizzle cherry-balsamic sauce over the roast and vegetables. Pour sauce into a gravy boat. Remove roast from oven and let it "collect" itself. Drizzle with more sauce, if desired. Garnish with snipped chives.
 
 
#2 Baked Ziti
 
 
 
Baked Ziti
 
Serves 8
 
Ingredients:
3/4 cup assorted bell peppers, chopped (red/green/yellow)
1 cup onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground sirloin
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 26-ounce jar tomato/pasta sauce
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 box ziti (or 1 pound uncooked rigatoni)
1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded 
1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
Italian parsley, 1/4 cup chopped
9 x 12 baking dish
 
 
Directions:
Cook the ziti according to directions (be sure to add salt to the water). Drain and toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
 
Pour 3 Tablespoons olive oil into a Dutch oven or large skillet. Add chopped bell peppers and onions. Sautee over a medium flame. Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic (more, if you like garlicky ziti) and sautee a minute or two (don't brown). 
 
Add ground sirloin (if you use ground chuck, be sure to drain the fat after cooking the meat). Using a wooden spoon, break up the meat. Mix with sauteed vegetables; cook until meat is browned. This takes about 15 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes (I didn't drain the can) and blend. Add tomato sauce.   
 Turn down the flame and let sauce cook down a bit and thicken, about 10-15 minutes.
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 X 12 baking dish with Pam.
 
Take 2 cups drained, cooked (still-warm) ziti and place in a mixing bowl. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella and 3 Tablespoons heavy cream. Mix. Place pasta in the bottom of the baking dish. Add a layer of meaty tomato sauce. Top with 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella. Take another 2 cups of ziti and add cheese and cream. Pour on top of the mozzarella. Add a layer of tomato/meat sauce. Keep layering. Top with sauce and mozzarella.
 
Cover pan with foil, place pan in oven, and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown. The baked ziti casserole will look "juicy" around the edges, but that's normal. Remove pan from the oven and cool 15 minutes. This allows the casserole to "collect" itself.
 
Top with chopped Italian parsley.
 
 
#3 Gnocchi
 
 
 
The recipe is available at the following link:
Chef Gordon Ramsay's Gnocchi Recipe


 

If you are participating in Foodie Friday, please take a moment to read the guidelines.
To add a link to your post, locate the blue Inlinkz icon in the lower, left-hand portion of this post. Click on the icon and follow the directions. After you complete the process, you will see a red "x"
beside your name. This allows you to delete your link if you made an error; the red "x" is visible to you only.

For a complete guide to this linky party, click HERE.


** Would you like to add your recipes to the "Consuming Passions" group board at Pinterest?
The board can be found HERE. We're a small, sociable group; Foodie Friday folks are always welcome to "pin" with us and chat about food. Just leave a comment on one of my recent"pins" so I'll be sure to see it, and I will send you an invitation.
Note: Due to changes at Pinterest, I need to follow one or more of your boards and vice versa before the invitation will go through.

 Thanks for visitin'!
 
 






Pin It

Social Bookmarking

30 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - that roast looks and sounds so good! Pinning for later. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to believe this, but we are having your baked ziti tonight! I made a big batch of it a month ago and tucked some away in the freezer for a night when I was exhausted~I have been dreaming of it's creamy pasta goodness all afternoon! Your pork roast looks divine too~Thanks so much for hosting, and take care~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting! I love Baked Ziti and yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pork roast looks so enticing. Thank you for hosting and wish you all a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three of the meals look great to me! One of these days I'd like to try the gnocchi recipe. Thanks for hosting and happy Foodie Friday! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bandy made the gnocchi, and I was expecting it to be hard...it was so easy. Gordon Ramsay has a step by step video on Youtube. If you need the link, let me know.

      Delete
  6. Hi Michael Lee! Oh, the meals look so delicious! I can just imagine how tasty they are. I hope your family appreciates the great cook you are! :) Thank you so much for popping in to see my little grandson. We're so thrilled with him.
    Hope you're doing well.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely comfort food! I especially like the sound of Pork Roast with Cherry Balsamic Sauce. This week I've shared a lovely homemade loaf cake - Applesauce Date and Walnut Cake. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roast pork is my favourite Michael Lee. Thanks so much for hosting.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michael! Been a huge follower/fan of your awesome blog for ages - but this is my first link-up to Foodie Friday!
    I cook, bake and entertain often but seldom write about it.......you all who take wonderful foodie pics I so truly admire!

    I am sharing a wonderful recipe from a friend whose tea party I recently had the pleasure to attend. : - )

    Thanks for hosting and letting me join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michael Lee! I always love your Foodie Fridays! The photos make my mouth water, any time of the day or night. :)
    I am going to make the baked ziti. It looks yummy and easy enough for me to attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello sweet Michael!
    I',m so happy to be joining your great Foodie Friday great party, and thank you for having me. Have a lovely rest of the week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for hosting the party, Micheal! There are so many great ideas here. Have a great weekend, Dee :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous array of comfort dishes. I'm especially intrigued by the pork roast with the dark cherry balsamic sauce. I'll repeat another comment above - I hope you family appreciates what a great cook you are. Hope all is well at your house and everyone is feeling better. Thanks for all you do for us and hosting each week. Have a great weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious comfort food...I'll have a serving of all three with an extra helping of gnocchi :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always a treat to join your party! The roast pork will be on our table soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Michael thank you for your weekly party. Always fun have a great week Andi

    ReplyDelete
  17. It all looks good, but that dark cherry balsamic sauce is really talking to me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! New here - found your link up through a link up page on Growing Home Blog. I just linked up my post on Healthier Pumpkin & Chocolate Chip Muffins and I am in love with them - they are my first baking experiment! :)

    Blessings,
    Nicole
    workingkansashomemaker.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can hardly wait to try your pork roast recipe, and the ziti will be next on my list! I hope all the hiccups are gone at your house :-)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy recipes! Thanks for hosting. I'm off to see your garden update.......Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi - this is my first time participating in your wonderful recipe exchange. I have no clue how I ended up on your blog, but I'm sure glad I did :) My link is for Baked Butternut Squash With Couscous & Goat Cheese. It's one of my older recipes, but it's perfect for the season.
    Can't wait to be back next Friday! And thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your pork roast looks delicious!! I love your entry garden your creating too. Such a stately entry, just beautiful!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Michael!
    I am going to add that pork roast to my list of "must make this winter" recipes -- Howard isn't a pork fan, but even he will love this -- it sounds fantastic.
    I always mourn the passing of summer, but fall and winter foods go a long way toward making it all hurt just a little bit less.
    All the best -- Cass

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh God starving. The roast looks yummy *drool

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails