Saturday, December 7, 2013

Renovation Diary: Kitchen Hardware

 Have you remodeled a kitchen? Then you may be a little T.K.O.
 Totally Kitchen Obsessed. The condition strikes without warning and turns a blasé homeowner into a
rabid, detail-oriented fiend. Symptoms include palpitations, second guessing, and, in severe cases, nightmares.

Choosing hardware can induce itty bitty nightmares. Just when you've made your selection, another, better option shows up, creating doubt and angst. Because when you see a beautiful kitchen,
you know it didn't put itself together. The smallest decisions are made with care.
Color, texture, contrasts, scale, mood, balance, finishes.
Kitchen by Christopher Peacock via Houzz

 


Early into our kitchen reno, I'd pretty much decided to use polished nickel hardware. In the back of my mind, I remembered a design formula:

white kitchen + black counters = dark knobs


white kitchen + light counters = light knobs
 
 
Then I remembered something: Each kitchen makes its own "rules."


 
 
So I could do what I wanted. But what did I want? What would work for my family?
I began to question the practicality of polished nickel hardware. Me, I'm a bit of a slob. And I live with messy people.
 
 Two previous spaces had been white and high maintenance. Still, I was attracted to the idea of a white kitchen. I could put the whiteness up high, away from sticky fingers.
But wouldn't the ambient white need darker hardware?
 


Yes, dark hardware seemed like a good option.
Besides, we'd already chosen dark lanterns.


For many people, TKO is a transient state of being.  There is peace on the other side of a renovation. The homeowner barely notices the style of a knob--unless it falls off.  

 I like the simple design of RH's "Aubrey." But it would cause hiccups if I put four screws into each drawer. Cabinet makers aren't crazy about the placement of Aubrey's screws, as the pull can wrench off. Many home renovators buy sturdier screws and haven't had problems. Aubrey comes in several sizes.


 
The Gilmore cup pull also has front-facing screws--but only two. Below, I've shown the 3" pull,
but it's available in larger sizes.
The "Seasons" knob intrigues me, but the guys gave it a thumb's down.
Gilmore is pretty with the Aubrey knob, too.

 
Pottery Barn's "Ivy" is whimsical. For some TKO folks, this option wouldn't work. The Ivy is totally cute, but does cuteness have a place in a traditional kitchen? How often would the curvy ends snag the cook's apron? Maybe it depends on the cook. The pull is available in one size--3"--which
is a bit snug for man-sized hands. I was less enchanted with Ivy's knob (not pictured). But this style pairs well with all of the RH knobs.


My guys like RH's Dakota. Yet it's not their number one choice.

 
Oh, boy. I must take a deep breath and sift through the choices:
I've narrowed it down to two styles. Which one do you like and why?
Thanks for stopping by on this cold, winter day. Have a great week.
I will return on Monday with the Novel Bakers.



Pin It

Social Bookmarking

28 comments:

  1. Hi, M'lee. Always wonderful to see your design decisions. I love the simplicity of Aubrey, too, but can understand that 4 screws aren't the most desirable for a cabinet maker. That said, I vote on the cup pull with the Aubrey knob. I know whatever you decide will be wonderful. Hope your holiday season is a wonderful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and your family have a blessed holiday!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you re: the RH Aubrey pull and the 4 screws. That could lead to issues if you ever want to change them out to something with only 2 screws! As long as the others are fairly standard "on-center" sizes, you could make changes as you want down the road - that is...if you want to make a change down the road! Good luck deciding...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter had some kind of handles that were always causing problems when grabbing onto them, so I'd NOT have the Ivy pulls! I'd go with Dakota pull handles as they look study and would be easy to use in a working kitchen. They'd look good with the large Aubrey knobs, too. Can't wait to see the total kitchen!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ivy is so darling, but I totally don't want to be snagged while I'm carrying a hot baking pan. Thanks for your input.

      Delete
  4. I, myself love the seasons knob....just sayin:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad this is your decision and not mine. Knobs & handles are so difficult to choose. For myself I wouldn't pick anything that has the slightest bit of a problem or might cause one down the road. Life is complicated enough without a knob or a pull in the kitchen messing up your day. Having said that, you have marvelous taste ML. Tell yourself that, take a deep breath, then go with the ones that YOU like and it will all work out.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, after that clock debacle, I shouldn't sweat knobs, right? LOL

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely the Seasons Knob--great design. Make sure the knob has a stem long enough to get a good grip on. Next, the Gilmore Cup Pull. As I recall, when I purchased my cup pulls, they came in two sizes; not all mfgr's make both sizes. Check the size of your drawer fronts. If "larger hands" (maybe men?) will be helping/cooking in the kitchen, you might want to go with the larger ones, but it also depends on the size of the drawer fronts. The smaller pulls look better on smaller drawer fronts; they tend to "get lost" on a large drawer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Seasons knob is heavy and really pretty up close. It doesn't have a stem as long as Aubrey, though.
      I'll keep passing it around to the menfolk so we can decide. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. No matter what, make sure they put them on straight! I love the Gilmore cup pull, but it's placed crooked on your cabinet and even that is making me want to reach through my computer and straighten it!!!! I guess I'm getting OCD in my "older" age! The cup pull with the small Aubrey is what I'd go with, but I'm glad it's not me. Once the holes are drilled, that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the Gilmore cup pull and the Seasons knob used together. It's going to be pretty whatever you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Gilmore cup pull and the Seasons knob. It's going to be pretty, whatever you choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the Seasons. I was leaning toward the Gilmore until I heard that they are dirt magnets. Yikes!

      Delete
  12. Well, I am going to be different because I would go with Dakota. I love cup pulls, but they tend to get dirty inside the cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nixing the cup pulls--so glad you stopped by and told me about them.

      Delete
  13. Dakota...can't wait to see what you choose. Like the Seasons knob too...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping me with this decision. I must use Seasons somewhere.

      Delete
  14. Hi Michael Lee, It is so much fun decorating someone else's kitchen! I remember all the agonizing decisions when I did my own~~my girlfriend (who was also doing her kitchen at the time) and I decided that we could solve many world problems if we put the same time and effort into them as we did into tiny details for our kitchens! My advice, based on several renovation experiences, is this: 1. Cup pulls are difficult to clean inside. 2. Think about the effect of all that hardware on the overall look. The cup pulls will add so much dark and heavy metal, contrasting with the white wood. I don't know what you are doing for your backsplash but that matters too. 3. I will never again put curly type handles anywhere. Not anywhere. They are a pain and you will want to remove them. Even though they are pretty. 4. The Aubrey pull has lots of screws. Way too many screws. You WILL see them when all those handles are installed. 5. Your kitchen is fabulous! I can't wait to see what you decide! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about the cup pulls getting dirty--thanks for letting me know. Dirt is the very last thing we need around here. lol

      Delete
  15. Aubrey! I have them in satin nickel. And I have lots of drawers. Have had absolutely no problems -- impressive given I have two boys who open and slam drawers shut constantly. I love how streamlined they look and they function very well too. I had my heart set on bin/cup pulls but changed my mind after trying to open them. It's pretty awkward turning your hand under to open a drawer, especially if your other hand isn't free. The trick with Aubrey is to go with the 8" for a large drawer and size down from there. I think I bought my knobs from Top Knobs because the quality was better than RH. Good luck. Can't wait to see what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, thanks so much for letting me know about the Aubrey pulls. I'll look for the 8" pulls--great tip. Thanks again!

      Delete
  16. Have you made a decision yet, or ordered? I found DD2 a cup pull that has "faux" screws on the front - they look real, but handle attaches from inside the drawer. Might be your answer.

    ReplyDelete