Saturday, January 11, 2014

Renovation Diary: Potting Shed Update



The holidays are long gone, but I haven't gotten back into a blogging rhythm, Lord knows why.
However, the renovation is moving quickly at Rattlebridge. One project is almost finished: the potting shed.

Do you remember how this part of the yard looked "before?"

 
By late December, the potting shed was 85% finished. 


 We ordered the plans online and asked the framer to make the shed taller and wider. He also modified the roof so that it wouldn't be top heavy. Then he followed the plans perfectly, which called for lattice windows, herringbone bricks, and a "witch hat" roof. The windows will eventually be fitted with Plexiglas. Right now, we're debating whether to paint, stain,
or just let the shed "weather" naturally.
 
 Inside, we'll probably seal the wood (clear, no stain).
 
We decided to cover one window because I'll need a place to hang tools.
My GC, Mike Cox, put up a board and moved it from window to window, so
we could study the light.
 
I love the "Stay Out" sign (below). Here's the history behind it: Mike had propped the sign on the garage door, warning folks that the interior floors were being refinished. I ended up taking the sign home and using it for a paint sample. Quite a journey for one little piece of wood.

We talked about the electricity and lighting, too.


 Mike had a few suggestions for the floor. We could stain the concrete, leave it alone,
or do a brick floor (pavers or just fill with sand rather than mortar), etc.

But first, we needed to eliminate a window.
It wasn't easy. Sunlight looked so pretty as it streamed through the lattice...which window had the least light? The North. But this decision was complicated by the placement of the shed. The door is at an angle, facing the potager and the driveway. Wouldn't it look odd to cover one of the "front" windows?

We made Bandwidth walk around outside the shed, holding a board up to each window.

We finally chose one that faced the backyard.
A word about the lattice. From the outside, you can't see
inside the shed. When you're inside, the view is clear.

 
What a joy to look up and see rafters.
I've never had an opportunity to play with vertical decorating,
but it'll be fun.

 
A barn pendant will provide the main lighting.


I couldn't resist string lights--they'll add a touch of whimsy. (This type of bulb won't be
made anymore, so I bought extras.) I can totally see these lights in the shed.


 I'd had my heart set on a Dutch door.

 I showed the framer a photo of a JELD-WEN Dutch door. Over the holidays, he made one
just like it in his workshop.
 
A view of the door, shaker shingles, and a copper weather vane. We're looking for a stone slabs to use as a door step. Meanwhile, the garden sleeps under a snowy crust.


Thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful weekend!

 
 
 


Pin It

Social Bookmarking

34 comments:

  1. Wow this is wonderful! I love the herringbone brick- what a unique accent and the pendant light will look great in there. Truly the most classy gardening shed I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your potting shed is going to be amazing and a real focal point on your property. Love those old-fashioned light bulbs your found. The crazy new ones we have today wouldn't look nearly as nice. Great choice. Have a nice weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more filament bulbs will be made in 2014. Argh. I know it's ultimately a Good Thing, but ....
      Anyway, the bulbs will still be sold, apparently (until the supply is gone).

      Delete
  3. Can I come live in your potting shed? I won't be much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is way to gorgeous for potting! I think it should be your new party room! I never knew that style roof was called a witch hat, I love that! The herring bone brick is stunning, I can't wait to see more!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been shopping in my basement, looking for a few goodies. Can't wait for warm weather.

      Delete
  5. wow, what a beautiful potting shed! Love the brick work, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the potting shed, I can just see bunches of herbs hanging from the rafters. This will be money well spent and something you will love for many years to come.

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right--this will be the perfect place to hang the lavender and herbs!

      Delete
  7. This is fantastic! Love the herring bone brick with the witch hat roof. I can see a wonderful collection of vintage watering cans hanging from those rafters. I'll be eager to see your special decorating touch once it's finished. What a year of projects at Rattlebridge Farm.
    Happy days ahead…….Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee oh I just love how this is all coming together, yay yay yay!!!

    World of warning: you may not want to choose brick filled with sand - I did that and regretted it so much, it is messy and even though you try it can get weeds in it - of course yours is much more covered, but I don't think you will like that option, though it is the least expensive.

    Michael, your potting shed is cute enough for an overnight guest to sleep in. I am volunteering, once that snowy crusty layer goes away for a while. "MKay?

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the sand. I will scratch that option for sure.

      Delete
  9. So pretty, you are going to get so much enjoyment out of your new potting shed...would love to have one!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what fun! I adore the witch hat roof and those rafters are beyond gorgeous! So much hanging potential, the lights will be a magical touch! I love the idea of dressing the concrete floor with stain~ still easy to sweep to keep clean :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have spent way too much time on Pinterest, looking at potting sheds. Such fun!

      Delete
  11. I am so interested in the progress on all your projects. Your choices are right on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael, I LOVE your potting shed. With a shed like that it might encourage me to play in the dirt more. I think a stained concrete floor would work great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael, I LOVE your potting shed! With a shed like that it might even encourage me to play in the dirt more. I think a stained concrete floor would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi would have loved it. She had such a green thumb! By the way, aA little bird told me that you have an adorable chicken coop!

      Delete
  14. Your potting shed is wonderful with so many great embellishments. Can't wait to see it all finished and furnished.

    I have a brick patio floor in sand and I regret not spending more and having mortar poured. Weeds are a constant battle and now with all the rain we have had moss is growing and it is slippery. Concrete would be so much less maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me about your brick patio. I don't need more maintenance (or a slippery surface).

      Delete
  15. Love your potting shed!!!!! You are going to enjoy it so much when the weather warms up.
    I feel like we had a heat wave today - mid 50's and sunshine.
    Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't the weather been wild? I hope we get a little of your heat wave!

      Delete
  16. How magical...your own little cubby corner to play in!! I adore the herringbone bricks!!!
    I would think you'd want to treat the outside wood surfaces with SOMETHING to protect it from rotting &/or termites or just sun damage, right?
    I smiled when I saw your shot of the rafters...reminds me of our gazebo's interior. It is going to need painting this coming summer. I shall "outsource" that project...I'm not climbing ladders!!
    BYW, That blonde in the first shot looks like me! My hair is almost as long when I blow out the curls & wear it silky smooth & straight. I like her RED sweater!

    Thanks for letting us peek into your beautiful world, ML.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your gazebo, Rett. Yes, we'll have to treat that wood with something. I hope the weather holds (but I think rain is on the way). The blonde is Medana, the contractor's daughter and assistant.

      Delete
  17. I love it, Michael! It is so charming, and I can see some fun collections with vintage watering cans and maybe wooden rakes. Love the rafters, too. The light bulbs on the string are a cute choice with the old time filament bulbs which I dearly love. As to the floor, I would opt for the stained concrete both because it is goodlooking and practical. Bricks, pavers, or stone would need to be cemented in due to both stability and to the fact that weeds and grass can pop through the cracks. But after my fall, we are looking at brick floors in a different light. The unevenness is a concern, and we plan to rework our garden path, too, which is stone. I almost forgot to say how much I like the RH light fixture. Very handsome and a great choice. You and Dr. Gollum might well decide this is your favorite romantic getaway. You could hang mirrors from hooks on the lattice, add some candlelight, and have romantic dinners for two with a gorgeous table skirted to the floor. The possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, Michael Lee, the potting shed is looking gorgeous. I love the herringbone brick pattern, the roof and the rafters! You're going to have such fun when it's finished and just in time for Spring. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Even though I'm not a gardener (I know...please don't dislike me!) I LOVE this little building, which I can't call a "shed"! :) Oh, Michael Lee, do you know what I would do with this adorable little doll house?? I'd make it my Writing Room! I'd also put in a little bed, or something, so I could just stay in it all day and night! :)
    Thank you for always sharing your lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As per my experience Acid Stained Concrete once dried, the film or coating left on the concrete may range from translucent to opaque according to the particular water-based stain you select.

    ReplyDelete