Saturday, March 8, 2014

Cedar-Planked Pistachio Crusted Salmon

 I may be a foodie, but I can be picky. For example, I shy away from cumin (it smells like dirty feet), even though it seems to prevent Alzheimer's (so says Dr. Will). Despite my love for pizza, many cheeses send me running out of the kitchen. Parmesan and Blue cheese make me queasy. Also, I'm not a fan of salmon or any kind of fish.
 
 However, I changed my mind about the latter when I discovered the alchemy of Cedar-Planked Salmon.

Last night, I positively swooned when my fork sank into pistachio crusted salmon. The flavors are delicate and perfectly balanced. If I could set this recipe to music, I'd choose "Flower Duet," from Léo Delibes' opera, Lakmé. Best of all, this recipe is crazy-easy to make, not to mention low calorie/low-carb. 
 
Adapted from a recipe by Robert Irvine. View his recipe HERE.
 
Cedar-Planked Pistachio Crusted Salmon
 
9 oz. salmon fillets
cedar planks
charcoal or gas grill
4 tablespoons stone ground mustard
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
 
Start the grill. Soak the cedar planks in warm water for one hour.
 
Whisk mustard and lemon juice. Spread over the fillet and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Drain the cedar planks and place on the grill until the wood begins to smoke.
Place salmon on the planks and cook 15 minutes. Add pistachios and grill five minutes.
Remove salmon from planks. Garnish with lemon and parsley.
 

17 comments:

  1. Even though I still have snow on the ground I may ask hubby to drag out the grill. Just reading it made my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sound delicious, Michael. I adore cedar planked salmon.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    And I am still laughing about cumin = dirty feet! Perfect description. We once leased a house from a friend who spilled cumin in a cabinet, and it was almost more than I could bear to go in the kitchen, much less open the cabinet! But I have finally learned to enjoy it. Go figure! ;-)

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good salmon is plentiful here and grilling it is our favorite preparation. It is one of those rare things that is so delicious and good for us too. Sadly, we are a long way from grilling season. Beautiful photos, ML.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're not missing out on the beauty of salmon now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't consider myself a picky eater, but there are certain things I can't handle. Strong cheese and strong fish are just 2 of them. When out of town a couple of weeks ago ordered a salad for lunch one day. In a hurry and did not notice it had blue cheese on it and it was well mixed with the greens. Just ate what I did not see the cheese on. I have tried salmon prepared different ways and just not my taste. Was at a wine and cheese event several months ago - everyone was raving over a spread, I tried a tiny bite and had to take a big sip of wine to get it down gracefully. It was a smoked salmon spread.
    Hope you are enjoying the weekend and finally thawed out in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too pretty to eat!!! I'm not picky at all. About the only thing I won't eat is liver - and thank goodness that's not around much anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been using the cedar papers to wrap the salmon and then baking in the oven. The grill has been pretty ice-covered this winter. I love pistachio-crusted salmon, so I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so darn appealing! I wish my grill was functional right now! Perhaps when the four feet of snow that is still sitting on my terrace melts ... a girl can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It may be easy and low carb, but it is also out-of-this world gorgeous. What a fabulous presentation Michael Lee.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. People seem to think I am picky, but there are only 3 things I won't eat, cilantro, cantaloupe, and liver. I am willing to give anything else a try. I love salmon and this looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, LOVE salmon! Are those dishes the Bianca dishes??? I am about to order a set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinky--yes, that's Bianca. I've enjoyed the pattern, but the dishes (esp mugs) tend to get extra hot in the microwave.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful, delicious and healthy, a winning trifecta! I visited and pinned your beautiful salmon last night but was on my iPad and I'm not very proficient about typing on it. Cedar planks are our favorite method for preparing salmon. I can only imagine how wonderful this is with the pistachio crust! We'll have to try it! It's cold here again after a teaser of 70 degree weather so I'll have send my hubby out to man the grill :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see we both had some pistachio recipes on the mind! Of course my muffins would not qualify as low calorie! Your salmon looks quite attractive- my husband would love it- he 's always ordering salmon at restaurants! I'm terrible about fish...never grew fond of it. Your picture is magazine worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks yummy..and your photos are amazing....that's funny about the cheese smells. I do NOT like the smell of Parmesan either but love, love blue cheese...go figure..LOL
    thanks for visiting..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  15. My comment disappeared. LOL love the recipe, love your pictures,do NOT like the smell of Parmesan either, but love blue cheese..
    thanks for visiting..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete