Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pub Sandwich with Irish Whiskey Slaw

St. Patrick's Day is almost here, and I am in an Irish state of mind. Candy shamrocks are all over the counters, and the air smells poignantly of whiskey and Irish cream.
For lunch, I put together a hearty corned beef sandwich. I'd cooked a brisket the night before, but
only a scrap remained. I sent Bandy to the grocery for deli corned beef.
I wasn't in the mood for a Reuben, so my thoughts turned to slaw. The Irish version is creamy, almost like a soup. I made a small serving, perfect for two sandwiches (with a bit leftover). At the last minute, I added a little Jamison's Whiskey.
Oh, my.
My, my, my.
 Each bite will take you to Ireland.
As my brother would say, "Now this is what I'm talking about." 

Pub Sandwich with Irish Whiskey Slaw
Bakery bread, unsliced
Boar's Head Corned Beef, sliced
Swiss Cheese, sliced
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Duke's light)
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon Irish whiskey (I used Jameson's)
1 chopped scallion
salt and pepper to taste
Tabasco, 3 drops
Stone ground mustard
To make the slaw, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, whiskey, scallion, salt and pepper, and Tabasco. If you're from Louisiana, it's a state law that you must use Tabasco every chance you get. That is all.
Slice the bread into thick hunks. Spread each slice with stone ground mustard. On one slice of bread, add 1 or more slices of Swiss cheese. Microwave for 10 seconds and remove. Place corned beef on top of the cheese.
Spoon the coleslaw on top of the beef.  Top the sandwich with bread.
Pin It


  1. My dh and I would love this sandwich and I like your slaw idea.

  2. I wish I had one right now!

    And to my friend with Louisiana roots I say, "Laissez les bon temps rouler!"



  3. Wow, this really sounds like a hearty treat Michael:@)

  4. Would love one right now for dinner! It all sounds good except for the whiskey part. "In my younger years" I used to enjoy a good bourbon and water, but don't even like the smell of bourbon or whiskey now. Have not had a bad experience with it (that I remember :-D) - just change of taste I guess.
    Thanks for sharing.

  5. great pics, scott would love this for dinner, well, frankly anything, since i am just not in the mood to cook! just the mere mention of irish cream does have me ready to bolt to the kitchen to whip up another batch that we all made, DANG THAT WAS GOOD! this sandwhich and a hot glass of irish cream sounds heavenly~

  6. I adore sandwiches of all kind and they are always a hit at my house. Yours looks very tasty with the whiskey slaw. Happy Saint Patty's Day.

  7. Now that is what we call a real sandwich, yummy! Thanks for the coleslaw recipe and with tabasco with it makes it interesting.

  8. Yum! This looks so good!! I love that this is kinda like a Rueben, but in a deli sandwich form, I am most definitely going to be trying this.

  9. This looks and sounds so good! I've had reubens served with a slaw many times and I love it. I'm curious how the whiskey affects it! I guess I need to try it!

  10. Thinking about that sandwich makes my mouth water. I love a good sandwich and this one has it all...even a smidge of Irish Whiskey. Happy St. Patrick's Day, Michael Lee.

  11. Wow Michael, I've already pinned this recipe -- it's making my mouth water!! You had me at Boar's Head corned beef. If you can't make it yourself, I think their deli meats are the very best. I'm so glad you included the slaw recipe; I think a good cole slaw should never be underestimated. :) Yours sounds delicious. I think this sandwich would be equally delicious with sliced turkey breast, but it wouldn't be nearly as Irish. :-D

    Thank you for sharing with us and thanks for your visit and your kind comments. Have a great weekend!



  12. I would love that sandwich right now...do you deliver!