Saturday, April 12, 2014

Chili-Beef Lettuce Wraps

A Novel Baker event just wouldn't be complete at our house without one of Bandwidth's contributions. The ex-rugby player has no interest in bunnies, but he's keen about food and greatly admires my fellow NBs, Jain (...a quiet life) and  Mary (Home Is Where the Boat Is).


He chose a Gordon Ramsay recipe on the basis that Gordon is British, as was Beatrix Potter, and also, Bandy is a huge Ramsay fan. So here is Bandy's version of Chile-Beef Lettuce Wraps.

Gordon Ramsay's Chile Beef Lettuce Wraps
      
Olive oil
8 oz lean ground beef
8 oz ground pork
Sa salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toasted sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 or 2 red chiles, seeded and chopped
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 Tbsp fish sauce
Zest of 1 lime; juice of 1/3 lime
3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
2 small Boston lettuces (or equivalent), separated into individual leaves

Mix the beef and pork, adding salt/pepper and blending well. Into a large frying pan, add a bit of olive oil. Add the meat mixture to the pan and cook until brown and crumbly. Drain the cooked meat and set aside. Using a paper towel, wipe out the pan. Into the pan, add 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil. Next, add garlic, ginger, and chiles. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the drained, cooked meat. Stir. Add the fish sauce (we used Worcestershire) and stir. Add lime zest and lime juice; stir. Add scallions and stir for about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat.
In a separate bowl, mix:
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 red chile, thinly sliced
Small bunches of cilantro leaves, chopped
1 or 2 tsp fish sauce (to taste)
1 tsp light brown sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil

Adjust the above dressing ingredients to taste. 
Pour dressing into a bowl. 
Place meat mixture in lettuce leaves and drizzle the meat with the dressing.
Serves 4


Bandy recommends taking a peek at Chef Ramsay's video, which
shows a step-by-step plus tips and commentary.



The Novel Bakers' Beatrix Potter Easter Week will continue today and tomorrow (I'll miss it!). Visit Jain (...a quiet life) and  Mary (Home Is Where the Boat Is) for some of the prettiest vignettes I've ever seen, along with festive springtime recipes. You can also find links on the Beatrix Potter Week board at Pinterest.
Bandwidth and I will return tomorrow, April 13, for the Beatrix Potter Easter Week wrap up.
Thanks for visiting!
 
 

I'm participating in:

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

16 comments:

  1. That looks great and delicious. I am going to try it since I am a diabetic and have to watch my starches.
    Thanks so much and have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great recipe for diabetics. I'll tell Bandwidth about your comment. He'll be delighted.

      Delete
  2. I love this récipe, what fun! Thank you sweet lady for the video of chef Gordon Ramsay. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...I wonder if I can replace the fish sauce with something other, because there are non here!

    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bandy used Worcestershire Sauce...I'll ask him (when he wakes up) for alternatives.

      Delete
  4. oh so happy to see more from you! i looked this morning and it was barren, i was so afraid you pulled the plug on the rabbit hole!

    way to go bandy, fabulous menu and excellent pics, what a team you two make! love your sunburst of flavor, i know those bunnies are not omnivores, so lets quit pretending and just wrap mine up to go right now please!

    this week has truly been a blast ladies, i love it that we each think so different yet alike, i truly hope the bottom line is you all had as much fun as i did playing AND watching you both share your books in the best way possible.
    only one more day and we are forced back to reality, where rabbits don't whisper in our ears, ducks don't chatter in the kitchen, cats and rats and mice no longer tend to the garden with me... i will never look at another creature again without thinking of beatrix and you wonderful novel bakers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I conked out last night and failed to post. Yes--I had so much fun. I've been inspired to bake and to read more about Beatrix Potter--and to garden! I'm sad to see this week end!

      Delete
  5. oh my, you know my net is so slow i commented before the video loaded, THAT WAS FABULOUS! so happy bandy shared this recipe, so jealous you are eating so much better than we are :-(

    theres that darn comparison steals joy faux pax again... but i never had this much joy to dine with to begin with!

    gr looks great too, amazing what a knife can do out of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bandy called from Home Depot (he's getting the potager ready) and told him what you'd written. :-)
      So true about the knife. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm starving for one of these! Kudos, Bandy, for sharing this recipe and the gorgeous presentation. What a great dish for a party. I'm going to have to make these tonight.
    Thanks to the Novel Bakers for an incredibly fabulous week of fun. I don't want it to end……..sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to ask……..Who makes that darling dish towel? I've seen it in Jain's images too. It's a wonderful graphic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the cutest thing ever? I found it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HRD06U/ref=oh_details_o07_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      Delete
  8. Lettuce Wraps for omnivores and something my hubby can sink his teeth in to! The bunny food was less to his liking this week but so much fun for me! I just made note of the ingredients I need, since I'm off to the store this morning to refill the fridge after being out of town. The lettuce wraps will be satisfying and with a bit of heat, he'll be happy and they'll be low carb for me :) Thank you to Bandy and thanks for including the video. I had much fun hopping along with you & Jain this week, love that we all three found the towel to play with too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning presentation, and the bunny looks very interested! I am lucky enough to have a foodie son too, who loves to come over and cook and talk recipes, a special bond indeed :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete