Thursday, May 29, 2014

Foodie Friday: In and Out of the Garden with the Novel Bakers

Welcome to Foodie Friday!
I'm celebrating Garden Week (May 27 - June 1) with the Novel Bakers:
Jain at ..a quiet life




 Thursday and Friday, we're reviewing In and Out of the Garden by Sara Midda.
This morning, I posted a tablescape, along with a recipe for comforting vegetable soup.
You can find the recipe HERE.

In and Out of the Garden was published in 1981. 
Thirty-three years later, I had the pleasure of discovering it, thanks to the Novel Bakers' organizer, Jain, author of the beautiful blog, a quiet life
 This small book is very wide and deep, filled with enchanting illustrations and tips that would delight anyone who loves to dream about gardens. 





The book was an especial delight, because we'd already planted a large, wild potager. In the past, we'd had no luck raising anything in the hard, Tennessee clay; but raised beds saved elbow grease and allowed us to amend the soil.













It's a secret world.
  

 A place of wonder.
Look: a baby bell pepper.

A pepper-to-be.


 The seeds will eventually end up inside the pepper, which is pretty amazing--seeing nature work its way inside-out and outside-in.

A tomato-to-be.




  




Since our garden is in its infancy, 
I bought tomatoes at the market and made a Cheese-Ham-and Cherry Tomato Tart.


I saw a divine version on Pinterest at Taste.com. The tart is delicious and portable, just the thing for a picnic or potluck. You can find the recipe by clicking on the link (above). 

As a side item, I made a garden salad. Bandwidth's lettuce is huge (but not bitter).




 Won't you join me for lunch at the edge of the shade garden?


 I added bacon, homemade croutons, and seasoned pecans.  



















Don't Miss a Single Day with the Novel Bakers
Come along with me and visit Jain and Mary. 

Tuesday

An Invitation to the Garden with tablescapes for every season with  Jain ... a quiet life



Thursday

In and Out of the Garden- ..a quiet life

In and Out of the Garden- Home Is Where the Boat Is

In and Out of the Garden- Rattlebridge Farm


Friday

In and Out of the Garden with Jain- ..a quiet life

In and Out of the Garden with Mary-Home Is Where the Boat Is


In and Out of the Garden- Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge.


Saturday and Sunday, the Novel Bakers will take you on a tour of Private Edens.



 ***



Are you familiar with the MYSTERY INGREDIENT CLUB?
Here's how it works: A secret ingredient is assigned to members, and they incorporate it into a recipe (sweet or savory). 

The next club meeting will be held Monday, June 2, 2014. Email me by Saturday at midnight if you'd like to cook with us; or stop at any participating blog to see the mystery ingredient.
 
**This isn't a weekly meme. The MIC meetings happen mysteriously!


***


Are you contributing a recipe to this week's Foodie Friday?
 If so, locate the blue Inlinkz icon in the lower, left-hand portion of this post. Click on the icon and follow the directions. After you complete the process, you will see a red "x" beside your name. This allows you to delete your link if you made an error; the red "x" is visible to you only.
You can read a complete guide to this linky party HERE.
If you'd like to share your food photos--or photos of other FF participants on Pinterest, join the Pinterest foodie board, Consuming Passions. Leave a message on the most recent "pin" if you'd like your name added to the list.

Every Friday, we are joined at this big, virtual table--thank you for stopping by today. I'm grateful to all of you who spend your days cooking. I'm grateful to old and new friends who contribute recipes every week. I'm grateful to friends who leave a comment. I'm grateful for the silent folks, because you are brought here by your love of all things culinary.

We are food people. And that's a marvelous thing.

The Foodie Friday Link-Up

Have a fun, food-filled weekend!


Pin It

Social Bookmarking

18 comments:

  1. Your garden is so luscious and green. And your tart and Bandwidth's beautiful lettuces topped with toasted Southern pecans - oh my, be still my Southern heart. All is well at your house. Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the party and I absolutely love all your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely beautiful post! Good enough to eat! I have had Sara Midda's book In and Out of the Garden for over twenty years..it is so enchanting and inspirational and I love to open today as much as I did when I acquired it! For anyone who loves to garden, it is a must read...N.xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for hosting! Love your garden, and the salad, my goodness. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, Michael Lee, your raised beds are producing a wondrous bounty of veggies! I would love to sit with you in the shade and enjoy some lunch. The tart and the salad look beyond enticing. Thank you for hosting and for sharing the book with us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great garden party, the garden looks really good and all the food looks fantastic! Thanks for a great party!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Gosh, you have such a beautiful garden. I wish I would have known about raised gardening when I had the space for one. Well maybe someday...

    When I see your posts I wonder what your neighbors are thinking when they see you doing a photo shoot. I have visions of them saying, "What's she doing now?" :)

    Thank you for hosting.

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lettuces are just glorious! I really appreciate the photos of the developing treats as I am such a novice gardener and currently have 1 yellow squash and 5 strawberries ripening on the vine and I am as proud as any Papa! The illustrations in this treasure of a book are so delicate and beautiful and I just love your picket fence table cloth!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your garden is beautiful....I have not heard of this book before and it looks wonderful and oh so whimsical .... the table and setting look as if they leaped off the pages of the book...I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love being part of your party each week. Thanks for hosting. Please come and party us. We would love to have you. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/2014/05/lou-lou-girls-fabulous-party-8.html
    Happy Thursday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden looks lush and healthy Michael-enjoy! LOVIN' that gorgeous tablecloth too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blogger is not wanting me to comment lately, I need to remember to copy my comment before I hit publish when it disappears on me. I was too pooped to comment when I linked last night but I having been dreaming of your wonderful vintage tablecloth, complete with gardeners, veggies and a blue picket fence! It's perfect for your lunch in the garden and what a delight your lunch is! I can't get over the size of Bandy's lettuce and I'm green with envy over your potager. Nature is a wonder from the inside-out ♥ Your salad and picture perfect tart look delicious and I love the idea of toting your tart for a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the party, Michael Lee. You have a beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh so happy to be able to settle in nice and quiet for a wonderful visual feast... that first pic does sort of make my heart race though... the basket, the cloth, these are things that rev me up! i have been going full throttle for a week, i really thought today was my bring me feet back to earth day, but when something delights me i begin to buzz around again!

    i am WILD OVER YOUR TURREEN! prettiest one i have ever seen, those soft colors are so soothing, perfect for restoring good health.

    and your carrot shot is fabulous... i love seeing perfection! this book is so charming with all your additions gracing the pages from the bird, to the bee.

    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

    YOU HAVE A HUGE GREEN THUMB!

    i have never seen greens like yours, freaking fantastic! oh you look like a professional nursery ready to sell their stock to fancy chefs around the country. did you ever imagine the garden would be this much fun ;-) i am thrilled at all the fun you are having, its never too late to discover the garden!

    what a cute tart with the lattice work, LOVE IT!

    and your salad bowl... i will send you the wee pic to add, because you could not have been more perfect in selection... i am green with garden envy, you have done such a magnificent job from the ground up to the table!

    WOWZER! i am so glad i didn't have to rush off, that i got a chance to taste and savor your magical garden and lunch, so beautiful mlee, thank you so much for playing long and hard this week~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who needs a grocer or even a farmer's market when one has a prolific garden as you have? I've never seen such gorgeous, huge lettuce. The salad is as pretty as it must be delicious and healthy.;-)
    I'm in love with your vintage tablecloth with it's picket fence. The way you styled the pages of the book…….perfection. One of the dimensional bee honey pots has long been on my list. One day one will buzz my way.
    You girls have filled this week with delight upon delight. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails