Sunday, October 5, 2014

A Peek at Our 70s Ranch House

On this crisp, sunny Sunday afternoon, Zap, the Yorkie, would like to invite you on a quick tour of our new-old 70s ranch house.  Zap will be your guide.


Hi, I'm Zap. I'm a Yorkie, not a tour guide, but I'll give it a whirl. 

We shall begin with a few shots of Daddy Doc
on the day that he found his dream house.


Okay, Daddy Doc, i know you're excited about the house,
but i can take over from here.



My mom says to start at the rear elevation. The Realtor said the ranchburger is shaped like an "H." Inside, it has different levels, which I am not looking forward to, but Mom says she'll be with me every step of the way.
I took pictures with Mom's phone, and she says I did good.

So, here is one side of the rear elevation. Upstairs is Daddy Doc's man cave and a balcony. Below is a sort of loggia, which was decorated beautifully by the previous owner. 


Here, Bandy and me sit outside the dining room.

There is a pool out here.
 I do not like it.
The round room with the red canopy is sun room. The other side of the "H" is on the right.
It is the human's main sleeping quarters and a bathroom. 
There is a fenced area off the bath.
It better not be for me.

Mom and Daddy Doc may cover the house with cedar shakes. 
Like this.


The Master bedroom is on the first floor--creamy white walls, lots of windows.
Mom won't have to pick a color, and that's a relief.





Daddy Doc found his dream closet.



However, the Yorkies suggested that carpet might not be the flooring of
choice. Just sayin'. So Mom and I went to the floor store and found a sample of tigerwood.
Let's take a walk on the wild side!
She has to eventually choose between that and regular wood. 

Here is another bedroom down the hall. It may need wood on the floor, too.

The green room has a bath.



 Mother says a neutral floor would be totally cool.
Daddy Doc says are you cray cray?
Mom says no, are you?

I think she'll get the floor.



Here is our living room. The previous owner used part of it for a dining room.



The room behind the French doors was used as an office.







Mom brought  her color boards and told me to pick one. 
I don't really like any of them. But it's like when she asks me if a dress
makes her look fat. So I picked one. I think it was BM Elephant Tusk.

I heard her say that she likes the colors that are there.  But it was worth a
shot to look at other options. I'm glad we won't be changing so much and so much.
I do not like disorder.

I think it all works.


Here is Daddy Doc, showing us the main reason he boughted the house.
mAn cAvE!






oh why must you repaint, Daddy Doc says.
I don't think Mom heard him but I with my keen hearing did.
And I told.
We shall repaint the man cave, she told me.

The house came with super nice draperies, which was a big plus for Mom. 

But the paint? 
It all looks the same to me. I don't know which is which,
but we're looking at BM Ballet White, BM Linen White,
and a BM especial mix of Linen White and Decorator's White.

I think I know what Mom's going for here. A color
that will work with her old stuff and is similar to
the paint she liked at the Georgian.

Off the Man Cave is a screened porch.


The previous owner is a professional chef, and she added
oodles of neat touches to the kitchen. 




These drawers were made especial for place mats and napkins.

To my surprise, my mom will not be ripping out the ceilings. Daddy Doc said
it was A-OK to do it, but mom said she likes how everything is cozy, and besides,
the ceilings suit the house. I did hear her say that she may take out the upper
kitchen cabs and put more windows. She better re-think that. Did she forget
how many cookie cutters she has. Silly woman.


Off the kitchen/breakfast, there is a hall that will take us to the
loggia and pool.

 A door on the right goes down steps to
the garage and also to a mud room.


There is a dish room, too. The previous owner loves tablescaping like my mom.

There are two large closets here, too.
Better than a man cave, Mom says.






Back upstairs to the hall, we have a laundry room.

And a super cute  powder room.


There is a pool house.
Bandy says if this is his new bedroom, he will not be delighted.





Outside, there's a little Martha's Vineyard-ish garden. 
And it even has a little vineyard!
An orchard, too.

A chef's garden.


A secret garden.

Trees and a koi pond.


Grass for Yorkies.





Well, that's it for now. If you have any ideas, let me know and I will tell Mom.
I wish all human readers and their furry ones a happy Sunday!

*If you are a Foodie Friday regular, then you already know the background info. The short version is: Men are from Mars, etc., especially when it comes to Martian vs Venetian (and I don't mean Italy) architecture. Martians love mancaves, bars, pool tables. Venetians break out in hives if they get near a faux bar, but they can be swayed by a view.
That is all.
Love,
Zap

Metamorphosis Monday contribution.

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

49 comments:

  1. i really like this house and know you can turn it into a showplace but i've very confused! i don't recall seeing anything anywhere on your blog about moving out of your last house...in fact the last few times i recall seeing changes to the kitchen clock wall and i don't remember seeing a final decision on the bathroom(s). did that house get completed and when did you sell? all this might have been explained on your blog and it may be none of my business but i'm still confused about this new house!

    you might feel better responding to me via email if you don't feel comfortable explaining in the comment section: jdy277@aol.com

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful house, and the tour guide did a great job! My fur boys hate the water and won't go near the pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Dee. I hope Zap will give another tour soon!

      Delete
  3. Judy, thank you so much for following the reno progress. I finally eliminated the clock here: http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/2014/04/foodie-friday-april-25th.html .
    You can read about the new house here: http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/2014/09/foodie-friday-september-26th.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. A clean slate is so much fun. I too wanted to keep parts of my old house but it is hard because my new house is so different. My country style doesn't fit in the same way.
    I can't wait to see what you do with the place. It is so interesting with all its twists and turns. Tell Bandy that the pool room will become a showplace of casual poolside living and he will be the envy of everyone if he lives in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'll tell him! :-) He has his eye on an upstairs bedroom.

      Delete
  5. Love it, that backyard is to die for and I know the rest of the house will be fabulous when you get through with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Marty!! I love all of those trees.

      Delete
  6. Dear Michael,
    Your new home is awesome! So many wonderful opportunities to put your own unique stamp on it! Wishing you much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful home and it has so much lovely character. When you said that you were moving into a ranch house, I pictured a little house with a wagon wheel in front of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love older homes. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. So pretty and those views...amazing! Congratulations and looking forward to watching you add your special touches to it...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Nice - Very, very nice! What a beautiful view. When you said a 70's ranch, I also visioned a one story long house.
    Your tour guide did a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks charming, warm and inviting already! Looks like the rooms are open and large and everything flows~ I would think Bandy would love fixing up the pool house into his own man cave with a kitchen and privacy! The pool and yard are gorgeous! Zap is a very talented tour guide, love his asides! My husband has a large man cave where he tries to live on the weekends ;) but it really is a cave, basement level, no windows~ how dreamy to have such a space upstairs with large windows and flowing drapes! Thanks for the peek!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Man Cave is a handy thing! Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet words.

      Delete
  11. I so loved your georgian house...as I did mine. We sold...and downsized to a new one story. I completely revamped all of the inside. Pulled up builder carpet, installed stone countertops, repainted the whole baby from tip to stern, etc. I love it. The only thing I do not love is less storage...and fewer rooms for entertaining, which we do not do as much of anyway. Kids have flown the nest...though one pops back in from time to time. I will enjoy watching you work on your new digs! I participate in foodie friday sometimes...though I do not cook as much as I used to either. ha! Enjoy the journey. We have a furry guy in residence also...Mikey, our 11 year old golden retriever. He is a Kentucky dog and assists me with house fluffing also. Mostly he just lays in the floor and raises an eyebrow from time to time when I fluff for a photo shoot. ha!
    Sheila@MyKentuckyLiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our journeys are similar! So happy you are loving your home. Zap sends his regards to Mikey!

      Delete
  12. I so loved your georgian house...as I did mine. We sold...and downsized to a new one story. I completely revamped all of the inside. Pulled up builder carpet, installed stone countertops, repainted the whole baby from tip to stern, etc. I love it. The only thing I do not love is less storage...and fewer rooms for entertaining, which we do not do as much of anyway. Kids have flown the nest...though one pops back in from time to time. I will enjoy watching you work on your new digs! I participate in foodie friday sometimes...though I do not cook as much as I used to either. ha! Enjoy the journey. We have a furry guy in residence also...Mikey, our 11 year old golden retriever. He is a Kentucky dog and assists me with house fluffing also. Mostly he just lays in the floor and raises an eyebrow from time to time when I fluff for a photo shoot. ha!
    Sheila@MyKentuckyLiving

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I hope wish you and yours a lot of happy moments in this home. God's blessings, M'Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What are gorgeous place! Congratulations. That kitchen is incredible! Have fun cooking and decorating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you find that your ranch has a twin sister, please let me know! I love it, and am so happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I'm so glad you came to Zap's tour! Thanks for your good wishes!

      Delete
  16. Hi Michael Lee! Oh, my goodness! I've been gone for over a month, moving myself, and you've gone and gotten yourself another house! I love it and I'm just thrilled for you, your family and the fuzzy faces! Can't wait to see what all you do to it. Guess what? We moved from Texas to upstate New York so we could be close to our little grandchildren! I'm still unpacking boxes! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shelia. I just popped over to see you. So happy about your move! xxoo

      Delete
  17. Well I love this ranch!! It will be beautiful when you finish it to your taste. All the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silvia, thank you so much for the warm wishes!

      Delete
  18. What a great home and your tour guide, along with being adorable,did a wonderful job of showing us around. This house has such good bones and a lot of great features including the "to-die-for" chefs kitchen, a man cave, a dish room (how many of those will you find?). spacious grounds and a pool. With your excellent taste it will be gorgeous in no time. I know you'll make it perfect. And Zap,don't worry, I don't think Mom will make you stay in the fenced area.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zap was an excellent tour guide, Michael Lee! Your new house is wonderful and has so much storage! What a perfect match it is for all of you. You're going to enjoy transforming this place with your special touches. The outdoor setting is spectacular and oh, the view of the mountains, is my favorite. May you all be blessed in your new surroundings. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic house and I'm SO glad you don't have to do a ton of renovating! Great high adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful home.....can't wait to see more......thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. What happened to the other home??? I don't even remember seeing pictures of the finished kitchen, the one with the clock above the stove. Did you abandon that project. I'm so confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short version is: Daddy Doc decided to sell the 90s Georgian after his surgery. He will no longer be farming; also, he realized that some of his dreams had not been fulfilled, such as a man cave. Then, quite by accident, he found a house that had one--and more. When you reach your 60s, sometimes it's unsettling to realize that your 70s will be here before you can say "snap." Though DD and Bandy love the blog and love all of you, they are much more private than me.I hope everyone understands. Thanks!

      Delete
  23. Hi ML! I don't get around much in blog land anymore, but I still stop by your blog often to see what you're cooking and creating. :-) All I can say is I'm all over this house like Daddy Doc! Was there ever Really a better time period than the 70's? (SIGH...as I hear Barry Gibb in the background.) The large windows, the levels that make a home feel so luxurious and homey at the same time...the "cool vibe" of the architecture. I had to scroll back to read your Sept. 25th post and just felt compelled to comment. Everything does happen for a reason. You were Meant to have this house!! You will work your Gollum magic and create something beautiful with this house! I am beyond envious (bc this is the house I would have chosen in a heartbeat), but I will sooo enjoy watching what you do with it! Congrats on your awesome new-old home! Laura (Tomarie :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment, Laura. It was heartwarming to read. I think you're right--the 70s house was just meant to be for our family.

      Delete
  24. Dear Zap, You are a wonderful tour guide,Yorkie or not! I can see why your humans love this house with the wonderful closets, DISH ROOM!, pool house, gorgeous view, gardens and floor plan! Tell your mom she can find other storage for her cookie cutters if she wants to add some windows in lieu of kitchen cabinets and that she does NOT look fat in that dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, It's me, Zap. My goofy mom didn't find the dish room until after Daddy Doc husband made an offer. She also didn't find the wonderful "chef's" cabinet in the kitchen until after the sale. Bandy found it.

      Delete
  25. Oh. My. Gosh. This was not at all what I was expecting when you said 70's ranch style!!! It's absolutely gorgeous! I love, love, love all the special details! That closet is to die for. The man cave awesome. The kitchen looks perfect. All those shelves! A plate room! It looks like it was built for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have the same comment as your first one, from Judy on Oct 5th. Please fill me in - I've been absent and I am confused.

    Great home and you will work your magic for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short version is: Daddy Doc decided to sell the 90s Georgian after his surgery. He will no longer be farming; also, he realized that some of his dreams had not been fulfilled, such as a man cave. Then, quite by accident, he found a house that had one--and more. When you reach your 60s, sometimes it's unsettling to realize that your 70s will be here before you can say "snap." Though DD and Bandy love the blog and love all of you, they are much more private than me.I hope everyone understands. Thanks!

      Delete
  27. Gosh, I sure didn't mean to confuse anyone. Here is a note from a previous post that may explain:

    I've had several emails concerning the remodeling project.
    Here's a recent comment:
    Dear Mlee,
    I think I have asked you this before but have I missed something? I try to follow you regularly but I see nothing about the new house and the renovations. Is that over, are you done, are you actually going to move into it or stay where you are? All questions that have me baffled. I thought I would be seeing decorated rooms by now......:)

    Love,
    Baffled


    Dear Baffled,
    I haven't mentioned the renovation because it was just too hard to write about. I was waiting for the right moment, but it never arrived. Shortly after my husband's surgery, we decided to sell the house. It about broke my heart -- and Bandwidth's, too -- but as my grandmother would say, "There's nothing for it." That was her way of saying that things happen for a reason, even if it isn't to our liking. My Mimi believed that the Lord didn't shut one door without opening another one...or at least cracking open a window. As it happened, a door did open, and we ended up with a 70s ranch house, one that made my husband's heart sing. My mother loves it to pieces, and so do I. Bandwidth is crazy about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like others...I was confused too. Not our business really. :-) but thank you for the short version. After doing some house swapping in the last few years, I have learned that you somehow roll with it. Broke my heart to leave our farm and Georgian...but all bedrooms were upstairs...and we are getting older! Ha! For various reasons ...it is wonderful that we basically have all living on one area. The basement basically is a storage area. You appear to have lists of sq feet for family and entertaining. And you view...Wow!
      And...I also have told people that when one door closes another one opens. It might not be tomorrow, but soon you will see why it happened. I try to practice what I preach! Not always easy. -:)

      Loving your new house pics All will be beautiful, I'm sure.
      Mikey says hello to Zap!
      Sheila

      Delete
  28. Was fun to take the tour! Huge place with beautiful grounds. I know that you will make this place sparkle.
    Blessings,
    d

    ReplyDelete