Saturday, October 11, 2014

Decorating with Tartan and Plaid

I have a weakness for tartan or any kind of plaid. 

It conjures images of warmth: sweaters, mufflers, mittens, a steaming cup of tea, and snapping fires. No matter the season, when colors are criss-crossed on fabric, music is created. Indeed, tartan is the textile world's version of a symphony.

I love the tartans in Scot Meacham Wood's interiors--he's a fantastically talented interior designer in San Francisco. In one of his designs, earthy greens collide with rich, elegant navy.
Another view of the room.
Traditional Living Room by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Scot Meacham Wood Design

An unfitted kitchen has undeniable charm. From the plaid draperies to the antlers, this space
is teeming with personality and style. Little tartan touches--red plaid dishes, napkins, and vintage thermos--add a big impact.
Traditional Kitchen by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Scot Meacham Wood Design

The main features in the bedroom are warm reddish-orange walls, a faux gold ceiling, blue/green plaid. Talk about personality and elegance.
The colors and patterns in tartan fabric are orderly yet a tiny bit chaotic. The pattern itself contains all of the wildness, and the repetition is soothing. My fondness for tartan and plaid just can't be restrained, nor would I try.
Traditional Family Room

Cool blue tones are warmed up with small bits of red in a room that has neutral bones.
Traditional Bedroom by Boston Architects & Building Designers Patrick Ahearn Architect

Checks are kissing cousins to plaid. Again, a neutral backdrop comes to life
with cherry reds and French blues.
Mediterranean Living Room by Wichita Interior Designers & Decorators Tiffany Farha Design





I hope to incorporate tartan or plaid into the Man Cave.


I'm participating in Metamorphosis Monday. Thanks for visiting today--please grab a cookie before you go.



20 comments:

  1. I love tartan plaids too! I think with last names like Armstrong and Greer - the hubs an I have to like plaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the tartans at Ballard Designs?

      Delete
  2. I share your weakness ... heaven help me! I mean, I REALLY share it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It's a good weakness, though, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Last Christmas, we gave each other tartan blankets. lol All "colors." Talk about warm! We love them, especially Zap, who loves to tuck his nose under the wool. My husband traced his lineage to Clan Maitland (beautiful tartan), and Mother's family has Scottish connections (and Irish). Must be a Tartan Gene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plaid is warm, cozy and comforting. Everything looks beautiful and thank you for the cookies!! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am another one that likes many of the tartan plaids, especially the darker ones.
    Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too like plaids...large ones. Because I have lived in previous decades I have remembrances of plaid sofas, etc from the seventies. I try to erase those from my mind! Ha! I keep thinking that I would love to do my hubby's family tartan on pillows. A deep Royal/Navy/and tiny touch of red. I am anxious to see what you do to your new home! We recently downsized from a large Georgian on a farm in Kentucky...to a smaller, new ranch, though out in a country neighborhood in south Central KY.

    I always enjoy your recipes and house pics!
    Sheila
    http://www.mykentuckyliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A family tartan on pillows would be a great idea!

      Delete
  7. I'm a fan of all things tartan or plaid. Would love to do a room, but have limited my tartan love to accessories. A touch here and there makes me very happy. Love the idea of doing a special room with a tartan theme. Wish our home lent itself to such. Thanks for sharing all the inspiration. It's wet and cool here today and perfect tartan weather. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is similar in our neck of the woods. I'm wrapped in two tartans. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the tartan inspiration, Michael Lee, and I'd love a cookie on the way out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I especially love the San Fran kitchen with all of the touches of black. Hope you are having a nice weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you show, plaid fits many different styles. Thanks for the cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love tartan! What are the tartans in Scot Meacham traditional living room? Green tartan chair? Yellow tartan pillow?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love tartan! What tartan is used in Scot Meacham traditional living room? Green tartan chair? Yellow tartan pillow?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Maria, I couldn't find the name, but I did a little research. Clan Buchanan Tartan resembles the yellow/red/green textile; and the blue-green/red/navy/yellow could be Clan Farquharson.

      Delete