Saturday, November 8, 2014

Natural Instincts

"We need the tonic of wildness. . .
We can never have enough of nature."
--Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Sweater weather has finally arrived in middle Tennessee, bringing dazzling golden light and crisp evening air. In the past, we've seen colorless autumns, but this year, the farm is ringed with blazing trees. Of all the seasons, fall reminds me that old age isn't necessarily old: it's a rite of passage, one that is a bit wiser than early spring--and tougher. The bronzed colors suggest a richness of spirit, a culmination of everything we have learned along the way.

As I trudge outside, leaves crunch beneath my boots. The garden is almost closed for business except for ivy and defiant, durable weeds. The flower beds still yield surprises, like the gourds and pumpkins that sprang up in the lavender. Cold, brittle days are coming, but today, I'm playing outside. 
Won't you come with me?





 Let's grab a basket--I keep them near the front door--and see what we can find in the yard. 
The oak leaf hydrangeas were nipped by the cold...yet the grass is still as green as it can be.

For the centerpiece, I mixed grocery store flowers with weeds and vines. I put them in a cup, and the cup went into a large lantern. To anchor the cup, I added grapes and berries.


I looped weeds and ivy around baskets that we found at Publix. 


Little details: an old feather garland, a twig basket, and a tartan blanket.

According to the weather report, a Polar Blast is on the way, and the garden will hunker down for a long, long rest.  Then a whole new rite of passage will begin. 
But now, on this sunny afternoon, I'm drinking up the last bit of autumn.  





















I meant to tell you more about a Thanksgiving Fruit Platter that I shared at Foodie Friday. Figural food can be time-consuming, but this "turkey" is a breeze, requiring no instructions--and the variations are endless. This is a great project for children and grown up kids.

Tip: dab honey on the grapes to keep them from rolling .







Shared at  Say G'Day with Natasha in Oz and Metamorphosis Monday






Pin It

Social Bookmarking

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Fall outdoor vignette you've create, Michael Lee! You're not only great with creative writing, but great with creating beauty. Thanks for the instructions on the edible turkey, too. Happy weekend to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a happy weekend, too, Kitty!

      Delete
  2. LOVE the new header! What a wonderful vignette... to play in fall is my most favorite season. I grew up with your chair too, it never looked so good . Love nature, calming, restorative, yet vibrant and alive, envious of your play time and gorgeous pics~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thoroughly enjoyed the weeds that I failed to pull during the summer. Who knew they would be so versatile? :-) I'm working on the NBs this weekend, before the temps plunge. XXX 000 to Katie, Cassie, and Scott.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely spot to sit a warm and inviting table. Love the plaids! fondly ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to see you, Lynne! Have a lovely November weekend!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful Fall setting !
    Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you hear that a premature winter is coming? I hope it misses Tennessee, don't you?

      Delete
  5. Michael Lee, your words are as beautiful as the images. I'm going to pin away with this post. I love the idea of adding the grapes to the vase. I've used lemons, limes, etc. but never grapes. Genius! Your twig baskets with the ivy are a wonderful look too, but have to say it is the daisy (???) wreath that made my heart skip. Lovely, lovely, lovely!
    Enjoy your sunny weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, your kind words fill my heart today. I found that little wreath at the Dollar Store a few years ago--I bought two and used them as chargers. Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

      Delete
  6. Just beautiful! I love the deep Orange flowers!
    Thanks for sharing your TN fall pics. In south central KY there are a few golden leaves still clinging to life...but not for long. Yesterday's breezes blew most of the leaves onto the ground and then onto my back porch! I wish the wind would blow the leaves off of the porch!
    Sheila@mykentuckyliving

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your lovely November weekend! I'm looking forward to the tour of the cabin tomorrow. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you have inspired me to go back outside and breathe in the last of Fall. This week it is going up to the 60's then crashing down to highs in the low 40's:(:( I better hurry. Your vignette is just beautiful and I am copying your fruit platter to take to my Daughters!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the beautiful fall pictures. I live in Elizabethton, TN and we have already had snow last weekend. But, like you said, we are in for some really cold air the middle of this coming week. Hope it doesn't hang around long. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm drinking up that last bit of autumn right along with you and your glorious photos! Love the tartan, twig baskets and grape filled lanterns! If only my weeds look good enough to play with :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fall vignette is colorful and lovely! Your turkey h'ordeurves tray is adorable! Love your header, too. What a creative woman you are. Hope all is well with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous Fall post at the Say G’Day linky party. I’ve just pinned this to the Say G’Day Saturday board.

    Hope you have had a fabulous week!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete