Monday, November 10, 2014

Wild Turkeys

The holidays can wear any cook to a frazzle. Just thinking about the sheer volume of food makes me want to put a cold rag over my eyes. But help is on the way for exhausted cooks.

This year, I decided to test a few "super fast" ideas for turkey-themed treats. 

I found black and white chocolate-dipped cookies at the Publix bakery, and I thought they'd be a great foundation for "Turkey Treats." We have a rule at our house that if you're decorating cookies and you mess up, you get to eat the cookie.
I ate a lot of cookies today. Lots and lots.

More easy-to-assemble snacks:
Turkey cupcakes can be made in minutes with store bought cupcakes, cookies, candy corn, malted milk balls, and icing. Bandwidth helped me with the "gobbler faces." The gel icing was horribly runny, so he applied it to the tip of a bamboo skewer and "painted" the details.











Thanks for visiting! Stay warm this week!

Shared at Metamorphosis Monday

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

16 comments:

  1. I love how you enhance store-bought baked goods, Michael Lee! You make it so easy for busy cooks, which is especially helpful during the holidays. It was so nice of Bandy to pitch in and lend a helping hand. I'm sure you both enjoyed gobbling those cookies that didn't make it to the photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get the "Icing Cookies Gene," and my poor turkeys' feet resemble baby seals. Still fun to play, though, and the cookies never go to waste.

      Delete
  2. Fast, FUN and cute, saw these pinned, your cookie looks better in white! Great pics~ starting ff cooking today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm racing against the Polar Blast. It's going to kill all of my foresty things!

      Delete
  3. I love your turkey cupcakes and your rule in your house about making a mess and then getting to eat them! LOL! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rules that involve eating carbohydrates. :-) So glad you visited today, Julie! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. You have that cookie thing down pat...and the rule about eating the goof up ones is a wonderful rule. I may need to try the cookie turkey idea. I also spotted something that I have not seen before... is that betty crocker cupcake icing in a can I see? My kids are in their thirties...so I have been out of the cupcake making stage for some time....So hard to spread icing on a cupcake. And I tried those pastry bags...with a huge mess resulting. ha! Your blog post makes me think I should give cookie or cupcake decorating another try!
    Thanks so much,
    Sheila@mykentuckyliving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--it's canned icing. It comes with several tips. Let me know how your baking turns out, okay?

      Delete
  5. They both turned out cute Michael! As for taste... well, I'd have to have one of each to say which I like better:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store-bought black/white cookies are gone--they are soooo good with hot tea or coffee!

      Delete
  6. Cute ideas! I think the cookies are my favorite. Sending this link to my sister and her daughters. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I hope they enjoy them. I used Wilton "eyeballs" for the "eyes." The icing was just too hard to handle (for me).

      Delete
  7. Cute cute! I have to bring dessert to Thanksgiving, these would be a hit with the kiddos! Thanks Michael Lee, stay warm~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what FUN! Your little gobblers are delightful and would bring a smile to anyone's face and tummy! Love the whimsy of your photos with the fern fronds and feathers ♥ I love it that Bandy help paint with the skewers :)

    ReplyDelete