Saturday, December 13, 2014

Simple, Fresh Design


One morning, I was searching for kitchen ideas on Pinterest, and I saw a photograph that bowled me over. I imagined walking in my sock-feet over those polished floors. I could almost feel the smooth edge of the counter and the sturdy round knobs. What would I put in the drawers? Cookie cutters, rolling pins, measuring cups. The powder blue armoire added a soft, beguiling touch of color in this neutral space.
Oh, how I loved this room.



It was simple, fresh, and ageless.
Traditional Kitchen by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters

Who was the genius behind this design? 
A wildly talented interior designer named Minnie Peters.
You won't see fussy, complicated rooms in her  portfolio. When she begins a project, every aspect is worked out in one fell swoop. Based in Ireland and France, Minnie's team includes architects, project managers, seamstresses, landscape architects--together they coax the best from each space. The moment new windows are chosen, her team considers the clients' dreams and practical needs, along with the view from each window. After everything has been sorted, the drapery treatment is selected. Colors are selected with the same attention to detail. Under Minnie's careful eye, house and garden work together seamlessly. 


A mix of old and new objects add color and personality to this neutral dining room.
Traditional Dining Room by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters

I can almost imagine Minnie planning the draperies while the architect sketched a room with a bay window.
Traditional Entry by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters

Just when I wonder if an all-white dining room can be too white, here comes Minnie with her inimitable style, adding color and texture.
Traditional Hall by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters

Here's another view of the room--just gorgeous.
Traditional Dining Room by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters

Minnie intuitively knows how to mix antiques and contemporary pieces. 
Old meets new in a traditional bathroom.
Traditional Bathroom by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters


Minnie's vignettes add sparkle to this table.
Contemporary Living Room by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters

This was the only bedroom photo that I could find. It shows Minnie's flair for
blending textures.

I love the windows in this peaceful, inspiring home office.
Traditional Home Office by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters

Key elements are repeated in this traditional living room, and yet, somehow Minnie avoids a "Noah's Ark" feel.
Traditional Living Room by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Minnie Peters

 Would that I could bring Minnie to my 70s "Ranchburger.". It has a dark, small, and narrow dining room, and two walls are claimed by built-in shelves. I had thought about putting them in the library, but the cases were built into the boxed trim on the walls, and the workmanship was very fine. Demo would be tragic in all kinds of ways, plus I'm working on a very tight budget and timeline. I couldn't do it.



 Here, the previous owner used the room as a study. 
My cabinet guy, Jimmy, is making solid doors for the bottom shelves; glass vs solid doors are
being considered for the tops. After seeing Minnie's space, my vote goes to leaving the top shelves open.

Ideas began to percolate when I took a second look at a dining room that Minnie had designed. 
Just look what she did with those bookcases.



I'll leave you with a photo of the ranchburger's gutted kitchen, which will hopefully be complete by March 2015--or sooner, as my general contractor is fast-tracking the project. I'm hoping to move soon, and I've been busy packing.

Note: The 8' ceilings are staying, and floor-to-ceiling windows will replace the old casements.

Until then, I'm dreaming of islands.

Hope you enjoyed Minnie's spaces.

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

13 comments:

  1. Minnie is a phenomenal designer and there's lots to dream about here. I can't wait to see your final kitchen plans. I am envious of all of that nice shelving and I'm anxious to see how you put it to good use. Have a lovely weekend ML.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, hope you have a lovely weekend, too.

      Delete
  2. I love the dining room with all the shelving. I know the gutted kitchen is going to be beautiful with all of your touches. I guess I'm a bit behind the eight ball here. You're talking about a ranch here, what happened to the last home with the beautiful kitchen and bathroom makeover and the beautiful garden shed you were working on? I hope I'm not being too noisy, just trying to keep up. fondly ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, it's one of those "Men are from Mars" kind of things. You can read a sugarcoated version, along with more pictures, at: http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-peek-at-our-70s-ranch-house.html
      It's wonderful to see you! Hope you are well and enjoying the holidays.


      Delete
  3. Yay ! I've been wondering how your new home is coming ! So excited that we will see some pics soon ! Best of luck with the remodeling, and have a restful, peaceful Holiday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, thanks for your sweet, encouraging words. Hope you're enjoying the holidays!

      Delete
  4. i can totally understand how you fell hard for this image of the kitchen! it grabbed my heart too. just glorious. can't wait to see how your already airy and light spaces evolve. peace to you right where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, thank you so much for the peaceful wishes!!

      Delete
  5. It is wonderful to have an empty slate to work with. I love the dining room with all the shelving. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Pinned and tweeted. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous inspiration pictures! Love it all. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete