Saturday, January 24, 2015

Chilly Scenes of Winter

This morning, when I looked out the window, I did a double-take--snow had fallen in the night, maybe two inches. The farm looked white and clean and beguiling. I remembered my New Year's resolution, to see the beauty in winter, but I couldn't budge. I was all cozy by the fire, surrounded by sleeping Yorkies. 

Maybe I'd keep my promise later, after drinking coffee and eating a huge slice of chocolate cake. But the snow was already melting. Grassy patches appeared on the hill, and water glittered on the old goat path. I grabbed my camera and puffer jacket, then hurried outside in my fuzzy slippers.
The snow was vanishing.
Better move fast, Mlee.

 "Step softly, under snow or rain,
To find the place where men can pray;
The way is all so very plain
That we may lose the way."
-- Gilbert Kieth Chesterson, The Wise Men


Three surefooted, extremely wise donkeys greeted me.

The greeting party just got bigger. 


"Ain't I cute, Mom?"
--Zeus, the donkey


"Enclosed in a tumultuous privacy of storm.
the frolic architecture of the snow."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson, The Snowstorm 

I was finding the beauty in winter until I saw my old Adirondack chair. My thoughts skidded back to spring and summer, all of those long, sunny, colorful days: picnics, working in the flower beds, and just sitting in the chair and reading.

"Winter lies too long in country towns;
hangs on until it is stale and shabby, old and sullen."
--Willa Cather, My Antonia


"The Night is mother of the Day,
The Winter of the Spring,
And ever upon old Decay
The greenest mosses cling."
--John Greenleaf Whittier, A Dream of Summer

The poem was speaking across time, through the seasons, into my here and now:
Winter is the mother of Spring.

"There is no season such delight can bring,
As summer, autumn, winter, and the spring."

21 comments:

  1. Adorable donkeys! Your poor slippers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so long for snow, wish I could have been there to awaken to such a delightful sight. A long meander through those fields would have suited me to a tea.
    Those donkeys are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your donkeys...and fuzzy slippers! Don't you love the country where you can step outside in slippers and pjs!
    Your chocolate cake and fireplace sound great too! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your donkeys have such adorable faces. That's the kind of snow I like. Pretty for a while, then melts. Hope your fuzzy slippers survived your quick walk in the snow.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the beautiful eye candy. It's just lovely. The donkeys are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Donkey's made my heart happy! Hope you have a very warm and cozy weekend!
    Thanks for lifting my day.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those donkeys are just the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear, those donkeys look like they are smiling right at you!! I've lost my awe of snow long ago, sadly. Maybe I'll appreciate the several inches of fresh powder we're supposed to get tomorrow. Looking at it through your lens make make me appreciate it...or at least the fact that I don't HAVE to go out in it.
    Warm hugs,
    R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your donkeys are adorable!

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, Michael Lee, the pictures of your donkeys just made me smile, and they actually look like they're smiling, too. I'm glad you're enjoying the beauty of a winter's day. Thank you for interspersing such lovely quotes. I especially loved the "Winter is the Mother of Spring"! However, the best part of all was picturing you eating that huge piece of chocolate cake! I made a cherry pie today and ate a piece at lunch and another after dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your donkeys are adorable! Bundle up and stay warm. Personally, sitting by a cozy fire reading or stitching is in my mind the perfect way to embrace winter. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are the donkeys able to move to the Ranchburger? I hope so! The older I get, the more I enjoy the snow from the inside of the window! Your quotes are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The last quote is my favorite~thank you for the winter fun~lovely photos
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that, winter is the mother of spring. 3 ft of snow predicted with drifts and high winds. We'll be seeing white for a long time with the low temps. Time to hibernate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these pictures of your donkeys! All so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am just cracking up at your adorable donkeys! :)

    ReplyDelete