Wednesday, January 21, 2015

No-Bake Oreo Chocolate Tart

Chocolate is a marvelous thing. It has prevented many hissy fits and was even used in wars. They say that Napoleon used chocolate as a pick-me-up before he went into a battle. Anecdotal evidence suggests that it cures the blues and mends broken hearts.

When I'm not eating chocolate, I'm searching for it on Pinterest and Tumblr. The other day I saw a beguiling photograph of a no-bake tart, and I began to look for the recipe. I found it at a charming blog called La Recta de la Felicidad and decided on the spot to make the tart for Valentine's Day. First, though, I needed a trial run. An edible trial, of course.
I tweaked the recipe a bit, increasing the butter, cream, and sugar, mainly because my Southern soul cried out for sweetness: it's in my DNA. I am pretty much ruled by the pour-some-sugar-on-it gene. 

Even though the tart did not require baking, I was a little intimidated by the filling. Whenever I've made a ganache, I've always had someone with me, a ganache counselor, so to speak. But today I was on my own. I gobbled a little dark chocolate, rolled up my sleeves, and dusted off my Cuisinart.
The recipe was a true one--the tart required no culinary skills and no coddling.
And the taste? Absolutely ambrosial. Each bite is sweet (but never cloying) and filled with complexity: a smooth, almost savory chocolate filling followed by an explosion of crunchy, sugary crust; It's the kind of dessert that demands applause--and a second helping. Napoleon himself would have approved.

No-Bake Oreo Chocolate Tart
                                                                                       Yield: 6 generous servings

Make the Crust:
14.3 oz package of Oreos (reserve a few whole cookies for the garnish)
1 cup melted butter.

Place cookies in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Put crumbs
in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter and blend well. Press mixture into the bottom and sides of a 4" x 14" fluted tart pan (I used one that has a removable bottom). Reserve leftover crumbs for the garnish.

Make the Ganache Filling:
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz dark chocolate
1 stick butter
3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
pinch of salt

Pour cream into a sauce pan and heat. Do not boil! When the milk forms tiny bubbles, add chocolate and butter. Stir until everything is blended. The chocolate and butter should melt quickly. Add sugar and salt. Blend. Vigorously stir (just shy of beating it) mixture until it is smooth and glossy. I let the mixture cool 2 minutes. Pour evenly over the crust. Garnish with broken (or halved) Oreos and cookie crumbs (from the reserved crust mixture). Chill two hours (if you can stand to wait that long). Serve with whipped cream.

Shared at:
 Home Sweet Home,  Feathered Nest Friday,  Pink Saturday
Shared at:

Pin It

Social Bookmarking


  1. Your tart is gorgeous Michael! I'm sure it didn't last long:@)

  2. My husband adores Oreos and would go crazy over this. I must surprise him soon.

  3. This looks wonderful and so easy!

  4. Oh, my! I do think you've given me my next dessert treat. I'm a fan of Oreos, and this looks yummy. Like you, chocolate fuels me body and soul. ;-)

  5. We are kindred souls in the sweets department, Michael Lee. I've never met a dessert that's too sweet or too rich. When people say, "Oh, that's too sweet/rich", I think, politely to myself, "what does that mean"? Anyway, your Oreo tart looks simply scrumptious and I'd love a slice right about now!

  6. Looks lovely...and wish I could summon up a piece via this iPad retina display...which makes your tart look like it is at the ends of my fingertips. Oh yum. I can add this bit of Napoleon history to my "cultural" tidbits for my French class students also. Now...I am craving chocolate since looking at this post....ha!

  7. Oh my God! That looks delicious! I think I might have to make that :)

    By the way, my kitchen pics are finally up. I'm a little scared of what people might think, since it's not exactly the norm these days lol


  8. Be still my ♥!!! "I am pretty much ruled by the pour-some-sugar-on-it gene"...likewise, I'm sure!
    This is totally awesome looking & sounding. I am salivating at the thought.
    Thanks so much for sharing this decadent yet simple enough treat.

  9. Ok, that one is on my list! Maybe for the birthday dinner on Sunday with the kids! I don't want to eat the whole thing myself! I could just feel it in my mouth as you described it! Perfect for Valentine's Day too. I agree - a fine chocolate is my happy place. I can even do a poor chocolate if I have to!

  10. Luscious looking! And I'm sure it tastes scrumptious! (So glad I saw this on Facebook, too, and remembered to stop by.) BTW, whenever I use or hear the word "scrumptious" I always think of the 1968 movie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The "pretty" woman's name was Truly Scrumptious! LOL

  11. I am ashamed to admit I've never made chocolate ganache :( but now I will! I see this chocolate temptation in my future!

  12. Oh my...I bet you didn't have to recruit any taste testers for your edible trial run! Your tart looks decadent and oh so tempting!

  13. That looks so tempting and here I am trying to be good this year.

  14. Oh boy, that does sound pretty easy! I am sending this to my daughter too, who loves to bake.

  15. I have 4 small boys that love Oreos..Thank you..maybe I will add this as a dessert for them on Valentines.

  16. I do believe you may be my mother's daughter. She is a strong carrier of that same gene. I don't have nearly the sweet tooth she does, but I would definitely have to have a little bit. On the other hand, I could spend hours enjoying how pretty it is. And, even more pretty backed by all of those hearts.

    Happy Pink Saturday, my sweet friend.♥