Monday, January 26, 2015

Ranch Renovation Diary # 4

Construction has slowed on the ranch while I wait for new kitchen doors and cabinets.
But the activity will soon pick up, because another project is in the works:
A foyer makeover. 

First, a little background. The ranch has been remodeled many times during the last few decades. This part of the house has 9' ceilings; and trim was added. At one point, arches were added to create a foyer. The living room is on the left.

Below, a doorway leads to the kitchen.

Here's my general contractor, Mike, walking out of the kitchen
(and down one step) into the living room.

I sent Murdock, the architect, a rough sketch that showed how the foyer might look if it were expanded (and shrunk!), transformed into a gallery that would run the width of the living room. Instead of windows, we'd have three French doors.To picture it, I drew an imaginary horizontal line across the room, between the love seats and side table. This is where we'd have three openings, each one framed by square wooden columns (a simple design), and elliptical arches above each opening
(very slight arches--or perhaps squared-off).

The previous owner put her dining room furniture in the rear part of the living space.
The French doors open to an office (which I plan to use as the dining room).
On the other hand, I plan to rework the old dining room (pictured below) into a living space.

A wide angle lens shows the whole area. Behind the dining area is a sun room. [More about that in an moment.] Off to the right, you can see the old  office/new dining room.

From this angle, you can see the foyer on the left. On either side of the hutch are two doors that lead to the sun room. The doorway that's next to the blue chest leads to bedrooms and a staircase.

Here's one of two doorways that lead to the sun room.


Below, I plan to blow out the wall and add square columns/arches. This will give unimpeded views from the front of the house all the way to the rear, which is a good thing.

So, if you are standing in the foyer and look towards the rear of the house, you'll see the pool area.

If you're standing in the pool area and look towards the house, you'll see the front yard.


  I had to weigh the pros/cons of losing the small living room . . . but I didn't need two back-to-back living spaces. Also, I like the idea of putting a round table in the center of the gallery-to-be.

Here's the proposed floor plan.

I'd imagined the foyer might look something like this. 

Instead of round columns, as above, I would add square wooden ones,
rather like the ones at the Georgian.


But the concept would stay the same--French doors on the left, a gallery in between, and arched (or square) openings that lead to the living room (the old dining room). Murdock suggest that we add another set of columns at the other end of the room (sun porch). He thinks this will allow the rooms to feel more spacious and add plenty of light.

I found another photo that shows a gallery-type hall. I just don't want the columns to be too formal.
I'm meeting with my GC and Murdock next week to determine the size of the foyer, the cost, 
and how long the project will take. 
You can read about the ranch's kitchen project HERE.
Thanks for visiting today! 

Hope you will be safe and warm if you're in the path of the blizzard!

Shared at:

32 comments:

  1. You are going to have such fun in this house and the vistas are amazing. You sure you're still in Tennessee :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It does feel like a get-away place. The strange thing is, the view overlooks the area where we built our first house (another Georgian style), and I have the sweetest memories from that era.

      Delete
  2. Wow what a fun project! You have great ideas. I didn't know you had this 2nd home. Looks like a beautiful countryside location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house is only a minute from Publix, but it has the feel of "the country." I am eager to move. Everything is in disarray here.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, fabulous changes in the plans. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the changes, Marty. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Ooh it's going to be wonderful, Michael Lee! I love the idea of removing the wall, which will give such great enjoyment of your outside area. It'll be fun to go through this process with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what great pictures !!! love greetings from angie from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gallery type entry hall sounds lovely and so not like my forgotten about foyer space. Le sigh. A round table centered in the entry is the epitome of welcoming graciousness to me. Love when you have a sightline from an entry space into private outdoor areas. I don't think you'll miss that second living space at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you be renovating and living in the house at the same time? Love your gallery ideas! I am hanging on for fun pics and ideas.

    I should show you my as is front porch columns and see if you think I should go with round or square. I have a mini gallery inside my front door with round columns. The builder put small square columns on the front porch and my inner voice is saying...Do something already! An architecture degree friend says go square as in cottage. My inner self says round. The ranch is no particular style, colonial, modern, etc. Oh my...the decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in such a hurry to move, so I don't see how I can escape living in a construction zone. I am trying to get the most destructive and messy parts in my rear view (kitchen, foyer, replacement windows here and there, and --gulp--the floors and bathrooms). I'd love to see your columns. Are you going to post about them? I agree that square columns are more cottage like. I had both at the 90s Georgian--round outside with Ionic caps and square cottage (slightly craftsman) columns inside. Now, I've got a huge design muddle going on at the ranch--the house itself (all touches of MCM were just about obliterated) and with my own muddled furnishing. Yes--lots of decisions. :-)

      Delete
  8. There will be MORE MORE MORE beautiful sun light. It is going to be awesome, brighter, lighter, and lots of joy, I'm loving your idea's....gonna be so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo Ann, I love sunlight! Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  9. Wow - you are so good at this! If I ever win the lottery and can design my dream house, would you be available to help me? I would pay whatever you request and a bonus! Your new house is already so lovely, but your dreams and plans will really make it fabulous. I can't wait to see the progress, step by step, to achieve this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, what a sweet comment. Thank you, Miss Merry. I hope the new "door windows" arrive soon so I can post another update.

      Delete
  10. You amaze me with the talent you have to look at a room and have the vision to completely transform it. I love the idea of a view from front to back of your home and the idea of a galley entrance. I know it is going to be exquisite with your changes. Wonderful view out your front windows. Looks like beautiful countryside.
    I hope the process moves quickly for you, ML. I know you are eager to move in and make this your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am eager, indeed! I picked out a paint color for the kitchen cabinets today--same as the Georgian's kitchen--and picked a faucet. I'd read several places that nickel is out and brass is in, so I happily ordered nickel. :-)

      Delete
  11. I am so spatially challenged, I can't even picture it! You'll have to take lots of photos in-progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm new to your blog. It's become my new favorite. You are a great wordsmith and have a really nice eye for beauty. I would love to catch up. The Georgian house sounds very intriguing. Is there a way I can link up to archived posts? I'd like to start from the beginning. I can already see in my mind's eye something of what your kitchen will look like. It's going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Yolie! Your words warmed my heart today. I've got a (rather messy) lable/cloud thingie at the bottom of the blog, and I need to tidy it. I think you can find about 23 posts about the Georgian:
      http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/search/label/Renovation%20Diary

      Delete
  13. I saw you at Joy's Blue Monday smoothie post! Had to come over and say hi! Good luck with the remodel. I will keep checking back with you. I hope you will visit soon. I am going to catch up with you at some of your other posts too. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when you can enter a home and see all the way through to the back of the house and the view...it's all about the view....I love the inspiration pic of the foyer...and how you will be taking down walls...it is going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When my in-laws had their big house in Fl. you could stand at the front door, see through the house, see the lanai, see the pool and then see the WATER!!!! It was magical. Your plans are going to be fabulous, your views are amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I admire your ability to "visualize" the finished rooms...I must lack that skill. It is going to be GORGEOUS & how fun to get to make it your own. Thanks for letting us walk through it with you. I wish you guys many happy & healthy years in the lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's going to be gorgeous, just like everything you do :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Michael Lee! I'm so excited for you. The home is beautiful and I can't wait to see your touch on it! It's so bright - love the light. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a friend that has a foyer/gallery similar to the one you are describing and it is so attractive~ I can't wait to see how it turns out~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Michael, for a gal who describes herself as a 'turtle' even the renowned children's character Franklin would be impressed with your vision. ☺ Just like your kitchen project it is going to be absolutely stunning! -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fascinating to read and see the plans and progress. It's looking so wonderful. Love the light pouring in. Linda @bushelandapickle.com

    ReplyDelete