Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party -- January 9, 2015

 Welcome to Foodie Friday, where great food is always on the menu. 
Can't wait to see what you brought to the party! 


This evening, Zap and I are wrapped in Scottish tartan blankets today. A weatherman said that we shouldn't refer to the cold snap as a Polar Vortex, that it's just winter weather, but it feels awfully arctic to me. According to the farm thermometer, the temperature plunged to 3 degrees F. last night--and that's warm compared to other parts of the US and Canada. If it's cold in your neck of the woods, I hope you're staying toasty warm.
 Today, I almost clapped when the sun came out, and the mercury rose to 27 degrees. I spent most of the day in the sunny kitchen, making white bean soup, cornbread, and a few DIY projects.
For Christmas, my mother gave me a box of citrus goodies, and the peel is so aromatic, I just couldn't throw it down the garbage disposal. Mama and I brainstormed, which is always fun.
Here's what we made:

 I have a touch of asthma and usually buy "all natural" products. I decided to make a small batch of non-toxic orange-scented vinegar cleaning solution.

Next, Mama suggested that I make orange extract. I love homemade vanilla extract, but I never thought about using citrus. The process is easy--and you know it's fresh!


Let's take a peek at your favorites from last week's Foodie Friday.

The feature you all liked best was a review of 2014's popular posts by My Kentucky Living, which gave us a taste of Italian Cream Cake along with beautiful tabletop vignettes and home decorating ideas.
This is so pretty it could be a Christmas postcard or cover of a magazine.

Doesn't the Italian Cream Cake look scrumptious? 
To view the post and to "pin," click HERE.


The second most-viewed feature you all loved was Dining Delight's "Sit Down Christmas Dinner in a Small House." It doesn't get any better than this--gorgeous, sparkling, magical, and inviting. 
To read the post and "pin," click HERE.


The third most-viewed feature was an elegant, festive holiday tablesetting by The Quintessential Magpie. You'll want to remember the details--and you will love the Christmas china.
To read the post and "pin," click HERE.

Discover more wonderful recipes, DIY projects, tablescapes and other goodies at last week's party.

During 2015, you are invited to share recipes, DIY projects, time saving tips, crafts, tablescapes, and everything else (including your link parties, give-aways, reviews, and/or sponsored posts). Old posts are welcome. No limit.

To add a link, find the blue Inlinkz icon in the lower, left-hand portion of this post. Click on the icon and follow the directions, which includes selecting a thumbnail image. After you complete the process, you may see a red "x" (or mark) beside your name. This allows you to delete your link if you've made an error; the red "x" is visible to you only.

If you need more assistance, an UPDATED guide to this linky party can be read HERE.

Share your food photos with a larger community at the Pinterest board, Top Food Bloggers.  Send me a message @ Pinterest if you'd like to join.

Thanks so much for sharing your delicious recipes and inspiring projects every week. You inspire me to get in the kitchen and cook!
The Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party

Stay warm this weekend!

45 comments:

  1. We have hardly had Winter and then it comes in like crazy!! Someone was telling us the other day, we can't have January thaw because we haven't had Winter. Well...it's time for January thaw!

    Thank you, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for the thaw! The wind is howling tonight--it's warmer (25 degrees) but the air has a bite. It'll leave soon enough. Looking forward to St. Pat's Day already!

      Delete
  2. thank you for hosting!!! happy new year!!!!!!! hugs, angie from germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cleaning agent and your flavoring...very smart.
    Thanks so much, dear heart, for hosting this party for so long. Always loyal...always here...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure, BJ. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

      Delete
  4. Happy New-Year Michelle and thank you for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year... it has been brutally cold in NY this week. 6 degrees this morning warmed up to 20 degrees. I have been in front of my wood burning stove... too cold. Keep warm dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wood burning stove would be so welcome tonight. You stay warm, too!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, It’s so cold in this part of the world too. 40 below windchill, stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, -40 wind chill...I hope the weather improves soon, Simi!

      Delete
  7. It's freezing cold here in Texas, too... brrrrr! However, I'm keeping warm by the fire and had soup for dinner and homemade bread. Your extract and cleaning solution look beautiful against the blue and white background. Thanks for hosting , Michael Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so cozy and comforting--soup, bread, and a fire.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year and thanks for hosting. It was even chilly and windy this morning in south Florida, but it warmed up during the day. You and Zap are smart to be wrapped in a blanket.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope this is the first and final gasp of Old Man Winter. Take care, Sam!

      Delete
  9. I love your new part and am happy to participate!! Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So delighted to see you, Pinky. Your tablescape looks beautiful.Glad you added it to FF&EE!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for hosting, ML! I can almost smell the orange extract, which happens to be a favorite scent. I have made my own vanilla extract for so long I was shocked to see the price of a bottle...need to make some orange now.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla has really gotten crazy-high, and really, homemade tastes better, doesn't it? Thanks for coming to the party!

      Delete
  11. Love the blue and white fabric behind your citrus goodies~ thanks for the party Michael Lee~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna. Looks like you've brought more delicious goodies this week!

      Delete
  12. Hello hostess with the mostess, thank you for "the new and improved" partay, it is great, love the features. And thank for sharing these wonderful homemade citrus goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you, Jo Ann May! Hope you enjoy the party!

      Delete
  13. Hello sweet lady!
    I'm so happy to be here at this great party, thank you so much for hosting. Love the new party too!
    Beautiful features and wonderful recipes.
    Here to wish you a fabulous 2015, ever!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabby, you're so welcome. Hope your New Year will be awesome!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful features! Yes, we all need to stay warm. It's really cold here in TX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temp in TN was colder than in New York. Just realizing that set off an ARGH moment. You stay warm, too!

      Delete
  15. The food all looks so good! Thanks for hosting !~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for highlighting my Sit Down Christmas Dinner in a Small House post as the 2nd most viewed! I'm honoured that your viewers chose to click on my link when there were so many talented entries! We just had a record snowfall here in BC Canada and are digging out! Thanks for hosting! Your citrus cleaning product looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe I've never thought to make orange extract!!! I always make citrus cleaner - any time I use lemons, I put the halves in a bottle of vinegar. Love your photos! It was so cold yesterday morning that when I tried to feed the feral/stray cat in our backyard, his food froze before he could eat it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's terrible about the feral's food! I've been anxiously checking the propane level in the tank...can't wait to move to the ranch--it has natural gas. Hope it's sunny where you are!

      Delete
  18. I love how you're cooking with sunshine from your box of citrus! The extract and cleaner must smell divine and perfect for a little aromatherapy with this frosty winter weather. We're slurping up white bean soup and eating cornbread this week too :) Stay warm & cozy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love the idea about the orange extract! Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for hosting and keep warm! Have a nice weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh ML...I adore that first photograph of the white roses against the blue! Exquisite!! You had me zesting navel oranges yesterday to save for a future project. I never bother to do that but now I will, seeing all the neat things you came up with, using them. What a fantastic fragrance, too!
    Thank you for hosting FF+ again this week. I actually had 2 posts to link up...a record for me. LOL
    Stay warm...we're anxiously awaiting Sun. temp. rise into the 30's. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother will be thrilled that her oranges inspired you! Looking forward to seeing your posts.

      Delete
  22. Hello beautiful! We are thrilled to stop by and be a part of your party. Please take a moment and party with us . We love partying with you.
    Happy Friday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for hosting! I’m sharing Turkey Sloppy Joe sauce— an easy and versatile basic dish you can reinvent any night of the week! I’m also sharing Apple Boatmeal— it makes a great breakfast, mid-afternoon snack, or even a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I spent most of my life in south Florida, and I love anything that smells like citrus. Orange extract sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing your inspiration.♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year! Thanks for hosting! The tablescapes are awesome. We would love it if you and your bloggy friends would join us for Funtastic Friday, our new blog hop at olives-n-okra.com

    ReplyDelete