Monday, January 5, 2015

Winter Salad with Honey-Orange Vinaigrette


My mother gave me a wonderful case of fruit for Christmas. When I opened it, a fresh, citrus smell wafted through the room. Tucked inside the box were all kinds of goodies: tangerines, oranges, grapefruit, nuts, chocolate-orange squares and orange blossom honey.
"Put a little sunshine in your diet," Mama said.




I've got big plans for that fruit.
First, I made a salad, one that evokes memories of warm summer days,
hammocks, sunlit mornings, and watery breezes.
It's a little bit of summer in the middle of a cold, grim winter.




You might want to add some bitter greens to balance the honey-orange vinaigrette. You could also add mandarin oranges or tangerines. The salad is bright, fresh, and healthy, just the thing after the excess of the holidays. 


Thanks for stopping by today.

 Shared at:

20 comments:

  1. What a great gift and your salad is beautiful Michael:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore salads such as this in the winter when tomatoes are a forgotten summer fruit. A sunshine salad for sure.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama is thinking up ideas for the tangerines and grapefruit--and that marvelous orange blossom honey.

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! My mom will be so happy when I tell her about your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I'm going to make it this week. Just bought some strawberries and they are so sweet and delicious. Same with oranges that I have. Oh, this salad is just what I need. I'm going to put a little sunshine in my diet too! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to get foodie gifts! Though I never do anything quite so creative with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift of sunshine in a box, Michael Lee. The salad is so colorful and healthy, too. I eat a salad for lunch everyday and I'll be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect description, Kitty--"sunshine in a box." I'll tell that to Mama. She will love it.

      Delete
  8. That salad and dressing look delicious. Must make and add to my recipe box for sure.
    sheila@mykentuckyliving

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful gift and your salad is gorgeous. Sure it is delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for the delicious recipe !!! I'll give it a try !!! love greetings from angie from Germany and a happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and healthy salad brimming with sunshine~ perfect for the new year! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. The addition of oranges to a salad always makes for such a refreshing dish. I love this combination with strawberries and avocados as well. I'll be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much. I have been craving salad recently and this looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful flavor combination. I love citrus in the winter.

    ReplyDelete