Sunday, February 15, 2015

Imaginary Test Kitchens for Food Bloggers

Industrial Kitchen by Portland Architects & Building Designers Emerick Architects

If you've ever blogged about food, then you know what goes on behind-the-scenes: planning, shopping, cooking, styling, photography, and cleaning epic messes. And, because food photography hinges on natural light, you are also watching the weather.  This Sunday, let's pretend we have won the lottery, and we're going to build a blogging/test kitchen.



First, we'd make a wish list. Most of us would want good lighting and storage (for all those props we'll buy with the lottery winnings).

We'd add heavy duty appliances and a long island to set out a laptop and camera equipment.

We'd buy small appliances, too. How many KitchenAids do we need? One for you and one for me. A big sink would be a must, too.
Modern Kitchen by Cambridge Architects & Building Designers LDa Architecture & Interiors

Double islands would be nice. Love the tin roof ceiling.

Or maybe we don't want to blow our winnings on a grand test kitchen. We could carve out a space, add appliances and counters, and hide the horrific mess of blogging behind folding doors.

When I imagine a real test kitchen, I always place an island in front of the range. I really like the ample workspace.

Or maybe we'll do a galley-style kitchen.

In real life, a prop room can be a lifesaver for a food blogger. You can carve out space in a closet, buy wire shelving at K-Mart, or use an outbuilding, such as a ready-built shed. For inspiration, here's a peek at Heather Bullard's prop room. It's perfect! And take a look at the beverage center in her gorgeous kitchen, if you get a chance. 

What would be your ideal test kitchen or studio? Plenty of natural light?
A place to store props? A door to close the room when you've finished cooking and photographing?

Thanks for visiting!

9 comments:

  1. love your pictures!!! a wish you a happy sunday!!! angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drooling - a food blogger's paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all of the gawjus kitchens! I'm not too fancy with cooking food but I sure like to see fancy foods and especially eat them! :) That little galley style kitchen is so sweet! Thanks for popping in to see me and I really appreciate your compliment, it's means a whoooooooole lot coming from you, most wonderful one!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear me, I think I'd just like a clean up crew and I'd be set! I like the prep, and all that, but someone to tidy after me would be soooo fabulous! I could go and read another cookbook while the crew is cleaning my kitchen. Oh to dream.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take the fancy pants test kitchen, and a cute helpful butler who doesn't talk but cleans up :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I would love a roomy kitchen with a ginormous island and if I'm using lottery winnings I need a prop room or two :) I can only photograph food on the porch when the light is good which is hard to come by lately.The winter months are challenging. It's either too dark or when it's sunny and low in the horizon, it slides in sideways and is too harsh.

    ReplyDelete