Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ranch Renovation Diary -- Redefining Interior Space

Welcome to a mid-week update on the Ranchburger Renovation.
Way back in the early 70s, when the ranch was built, it didn't have a foyer. A dedicated entrance space was carved out in the 1990s, and it was remodeled again in the mid-2000s. Last summer, when I looked at the house, I thought the foyer had lots of potential, but I decided to take my time and come up with a solid plan. Months went by. Then, just two weeks ago, I figured out what to do: remove the smallish foyer walls and create a gallery-type entrance, with three French doors.

Below, you can see the small sitting area and the foyer. It had been decorated perfectly, with love seats and furnishings that were absolutely to scale. But my big, clunky stuff wouldn't fit. At one point, I thought about turning this space into the dining room--or a dressy breakfast area (it's adjacent to the kitchen). Ah, a tablescapers dream!

Tables would, however, obscure the marvelous view, and this house is all about the view.

I kept thinking. I looked at Pottery Barn loveseats but couldn't commit.


When I came up with the "gallery" idea, I asked the architect for his opinion. He thought it would better define the space, and he suggested that we add arched openings at each end of the room. Demolition began immediately. First, the foyer was opened up. (The staircase, too!)


And framed. Doors were ordered. (And the existing front door was earmarked for the pool house re-do.)


I'm adding 3 French doors in the foyer. The center door will be operational; the other two won't be operable. Murdock said the space was still tight, and we could have issues if more than one door was open. Anyway, the doors are identical to the ones in the kitchen.

Here's another look at the small sitting area.


And now, the space is a gallery. Yay!

Let's move to the other end of the room. The former owner had gorgeous furnishings, and she'd used the larger space as a dining room. Behind this room is a hexagonish sun room.




The first time Murdock saw this space, he suggested knocking down the sun room wall to add light and to take advantage of the view. At first, I was reluctant to give up a wall, as I needed all the space I could get for furniture. But after I spent time at the house, I knew Murdock was right.

We're replacing the windows with French doors. 

A view from the sun room, into the foyer and living space.


Last week, the wall came down.

Joel, our carpenter, built the arched openings.

I can't believe how much brighter the room is!

This space will be all white (I know...but this house just called for white walls), and it will need texture. There are some issues with the present ceiling, so we are installing beadboard. (It will also go on the kitchen ceiling.) Today, we worked out the lighting. I'm doing recessed, no chandeliers (the "eye" stops on the one behind Mike, below).

A few before-and-"in the middle" photos:

Looking into the sun room.

Space redefined in the foyer.

Looking from the sun room into the new living room and gallery.

A side view of the gallery. Electrical outlets will be added for Christmas decorations.

I'll update when the doors are installed. 
Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to visit.  Stay warm!

To Be Shared at the following parties:
The Scoop,  

23 comments:

  1. I've been catching up on your renovations, Mmicael, and I love them all! i do know what you mean about needing wall space for furniture. My home in NYC was only 2,000 square feet and my new Colorado home is over 4,000 sq feet, but because of the open floor plan in Colorado I had to use less furniture than in my older home! It was a dilemma at first but now I like the more open and spacious design ..Happily I had big closets in my basement and garage that could act as storage for all the items furniture could no longer hold ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true about open concept plans--where to put furniture and art? A challenge!

      Delete
  2. I like how you opened the room up like that. Looking forward to seeing the renovation finished - it will be beautiful.
    Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have great vision! Love this look and concept! The oversized chandelier is going right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. Yes, the big chandelier is already down, and the smaller one in the sun room will come down, too. They were headbangers! I'm not doing any chandeliers in this space or in the foyer.Murdock said well-placed recessed lighting would be best for this space, with the lower ceilings .

      Delete
  4. Wow, it's so nice to see how the small sitting area was transformed into the gallery. It's going to be so fabulous, Michael Lee. You're such a meticulous planner and visionary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty, you're so kind. I'm actually a by-the-seats kinda gal, as we all saw during the Georgian's reno. The clock taught me a lesson. It has really helped to have Murdock plan everything in advance and draw it out. It has helped to know where we are going (to have clear goals). Keeps me in check! LOL

      Delete
  5. This was a great idea! The entire space is so much brighter and fresher! I can't wait to see the french doors and am wondering if the operational one will open in, out, or slide? I have had all three kinds and they each have their pros and cons. The ones opening to the inside require lots of free space around them for clearance but it looks like your gallery will provide that. Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, the center doors will open into the foyer. This means I can't put a round table in this space--because of the swing. Ah, well. One less thing to dust! LOL The doors should be installed next week. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. I see nothing wrong with white walls. Living in an apartment, I have white walls. But everything else is color! Love your vision. Love the light. And your gardening buddy looks very much like my two pupsters!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--I love having color with the white. I saw your adorable Yorkies on your blog's sidebar. :-) So cute.

      Delete
  7. I love the arches Michael! All that natural light coming in the windows and doors is AWESOME! I bet you are getting sooo excited.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so gorgeous. I just love your home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed looking at your renovations. Looking forward to seeing the end results. What a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Electrical outlets for Christmas decorations is just brilliant! Love that:-) The difference in the space is unbelievable already and I am sure will be amazing when finished. The view through the sunroom is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is going to be beautiful. I can see it all in my mind :)

    Those arches are perfect!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Opening up changed everything. The arches are spectacular.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun to watch the process, thanks for sharing, it's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Can't wait to see the final results!!! Amazing how much brighter that room is now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the open look! I'm sure you're going to love having the extra brightness-you can never go wrong with more light!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That is going to be beautiful...can't wait to see the finished product

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love this idea and it is going to look magnificent!

    ReplyDelete