Sunday, February 1, 2015

Tour a House in the Woods

This Sunday, we're touring a charming house in the woods.

It was designed by Michael Abraham Architecture, an amazingly talented Midwestern firm that's noted for melding a house with its setting. The firm also combines creative genius with superior standards. When it comes to a new build, or the renovation of an historic property, Abraham is the "house whisperer."

The home we are looking at today was whispered into existence by Abraham. As we walk down the the long, tree-lined driveway, the house seems larger than 4500 square feet. It exudes cozy hospitality, with cedar shake siding, curved stone walls, crisp white trim, breezy porches, and custom windows. The exterior possesses all the charm of a house on Nantucket, but the style transcends geography.

Peeking through the trees, the house beckons with simplicity and grace. 

A screened-in porch runs the length of the rear elevation. I have been drawing versions of this porch for months, not realizing that one actually existed. I'm charmed by the classic "X" design on the railing. Love the chimney pots, too.
Let's step into foyer. The woodwork is simple and exquisite, juxtaposed against warm wood floors and an armoire (rather than a typical coat closet).

The quiet, unassuming elegance continues with the staircase--the design isn't like anything I've seen. In some homes, a staircase can announce its presence immediately, like a diva who demands center stage; but this staircase is tucked out of the way, rising into a sunlit hall. It's the Grace Kelly of staircases. As you step up to the landing, the rear, curved wall opens to the living room. Little details like this make the house feel sunlit and airy.

From the foyer, you can see the living room.

From this vantage point, you can see the sunny foyer. The whole house seems to be flooded with light. 

Interior French doors allow for even more light to filter into the space. I like how the mantel extends the length of the wall, with built-in cabinets. This style reminds me of old homes on the Maine coast.
The furnishings are warm and inviting, just like the house itself.

From the slipped chairs to the ceiling beams to the off-white paint, I love this dining room (which is open to the kitchen). Two sets of French doors add light, flow, and a spacious feel.

White kitchens are always beautiful. Quite a bit of storage has been packed into this space--can't have too much of that. Judging from the nautical painting in the living room and the mounted fish over the range, this house is near the water--or maybe these accessories reflect the owners' longing to be near the sea. 

In the rear of the house, we can linger in the navy blue and white family room. I like how the windows are unadorned and invite visitors to drink in the view of the backyard. And, you're only steps away from that lovely screened porch.

28 comments:

  1. I always love the house tours you post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, it makes me happy to hear this. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Guten morgen aus Germany.Luciene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning to you, too, Luciene. Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete
  3. I love viewing the pretty houses that you find for us. Have a great day!
    Sheila E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful from the driveway on! I love the gray shake siding! The house isn't overdone and looks very comfortable. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. Thanks for visiting, Shirley.

      Delete
  5. I think my favorite room is the living room. Love the couch :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, one of my favorite you have shared so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful inside and out. Is that a copper backsplash behind the stove??? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a stainless backsplash. Copper would be awesome.

      Delete
  8. I love all of those windows letting in natural light. Thank you for the house tours that you provide, but more importantly for the words that you use to describe them. I learn so much from you!
    Lori from LL Farm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, how kind of you! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  9. Nantucket is one of my favorite places to visit. Some friends of ours own the second oldest house on the island, which is where we stay. It has been added to very tastefully over the years in the classic style represented here. The vernacular of the gray shingle home is so quintessentially Nantucket. She isn't called the Gray Lady for nothing!

    This house is gorgeous! The American shingle look so understatedly elegant. You know, I could see your house going in this direction, too. It's similar to the white house, only weathered gray shingles to rather than painted clapboard. So many possibilities....You're a very blessed woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love older homes, and the one you described on Nantucket sounds beautiful. Thanks for your wonderful comments. I enjoy them tremendously.

      Delete
  10. Oh dear me, I want to live there! I think I've changed my mind on cedar siding now that I've seen it done in that soft shade. I was picturing a brown color for your new home and that overwhelmed me. That gray color is timeless and looks great with the white trim. The screed in porch is fabulous. I hope your home will have one similar to that. LOVE, LOVE ,LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does immediately say HOME doesn't it?! It is beautiful and comfortable at the same time. Lots of natural light. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michael! Another lovely home tour! I just love these and hope your week is fab!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. New England homes always grab my heart with their shingles and charm. I'm a sucker for porches and insist that we have at least one in our home. Our current kitchen is white and will remain so when we remodel it. Love the big of whimsy with the trout over the stove and it brings a nice bit of color.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything about this house!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so enjoyed this tour. This house so beautiful and graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, beautiful! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete