Monday, March 16, 2015

Ranch Reno: Master Bath Update

 
The master bathroom at the ranchburger has been updated several times. More recently, it received wallpaper, sconces and mirrors from Restoration Hardware, new hardware, and new vanities from Lowe's with quartz counters. Sadly, the mirrors were taken by the previous owner.
The tile in the shower was installed in the 90s, I think. It had a sort of hollow metallic border. The tile around the tub has the same border, but the ceramic tile is a different color (matches the floor). The p.o. decorated the space beautifully.

Just off to the side is a "his" cedar closet, added by the previous owner.

When we took possession of the house, the bathroom looked different without those mirrors.


For months, I went back and forth about this room. Just recently, I'd decided to go ahead and aim for the white bathroom of my dreams. 

But when I tabulated the costs of a "simple" white bathroom, I got a huge lump in my throat. I checked and rechecked prices, but the tally was still too high. My GC found an economical way to remove the brown tile floor, and we'd gotten a great bid to install a wood floor (with a triple poly finish). But to achieve the look I wanted, I'd have to tear off the wallpaper, select a paint, find new sconces and mirrors (possibly new faucets), and replace the counter tops. The shower and tub would need new tile (or something). As much as I loved this quietly elegant look, it just wasn't in the cards.


I was scheduled to look at marble and granite on Tuesday, St. Patrick's Day, but I was still struggling with my head injury, so I ended up cancelling the appointment. While I rested, I really thought about this room. True, I love a white bathroom, but did I want to spend a good portion of the remodeling budget on marble counter tops? The existing ORB faucets were cute as buttons, but wouldn't marble call for nickle or stainless (my fave)? This bathroom looked pretty good, anyway. Other places in the house needed more attention. The old windows will eventually need to be replaced, and the old HVAC acted up during the winter. The freezing temps caused a pipe to burst. Our driveway has humongous potholes. The goats ate my wicker patio furniture, and it would be nice to buy more. Who knows what will crop up tomorrow?

You get the picture.

In the end, I couldn't justify removing perfectly good -- pretty! --items in this space. My GC breathed a sigh of relief. He said I would save quite a bit if I decided to keep the sconces, faucets, grass cloth ceiling, quartz counter tops. But, since the bath could use a little updating here and there, we will remove the tub's platform and buy a free-standing tub. The wallpaper isn't something I want forever in this house, and the opportunity arises to cover the paper with beadboard sheets, I'll take it. If not, the wallpaper will stay.

I found a free-standing tub and faucet set online for a good price.

The challenge was finding a mirror. I looked everywhere. All over Amazon, Overstock, Wayfair, etc.
I found plenty of mirrors, but it was unbelievably hard to find one that worked with the Old World Sconces and traditional ORB faucets--one that didn't set off more changes/purchases. The mirror would have to work with the sconces and faucets.  
Here's a small sampling of mirrors. Most of the mirrors didn't look happy with the existing hardware and lighting. However, one was so outrageous and exotic, it appeared to work.

I have no idea how any of these mirrors would look in my bathroom, but I played with Ribbet's cut and paste. First, the peacock mirror. It works with the sconces. Warm tones are congruent. But the mirror could be too small, the style muddled. Second guessing is difficult, at best. The only way to know for sure is to try the mirror in the space.
Now let's look at the cost (excluding shipping).

Just for comparison, I found a simple mirror at Pottery Barn. It will "match" everything, but could it cause an ORB overdose? These mirrors are a little more expensive. It was also mentioned that the tilt function can be annoying and difficult to clean.
source



Classic and traditional Mirror and Sconces will always rise above trends and in/out lists. They are an investment in timeless items. But it would take a bite out of my budget.

Totally adorable, but with a price tag. The mirror would probably look good with the muted "branch" wallpaper or with plain, painted walls.


Upcoming Projects:
Paint Estimates (I've already selected the paint colors)
The kitchen cabinets will be "set"
Counter tops installed
Cedar shake on the front porch and a beadboard ceiling


Thanks for all of your sweet comments and well wishes. I'm feeling lots better. Still walking with a cane (dizziness), but the ringing in my ears is 75% less. 

Thanks for stopping by today!
Reno photos supplied by Medana.

Shared at:
The Scoop,  

21 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling better Michael. I love the updates you are doing. It's amazing when small changes completely transform a room :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jessica. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your well wishes!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are feeling better! I love that tub!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you are doing better. I am not sure about a mirror choice. The traditional in me likes the mirror on the bottom row, left side. I have to use my 5x makeup mirror to really see my face...with my glasses and new bifocals. I could actually get by without a mirror in the bath! ha!
    I know everything will be lovely. Cannot wait to see.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that mirror! It would never need "updating." Since I need 2, the cost worries me, and I would eventually need traditional sconces. The more that I think about the peacock mirrors, the more I think they are going to be too much. But it's worth a shot.

      Delete
  4. Any chance you can call up the previous owners and make them an offer for the mirrors saying they went too perfectly in there? Maybe for your"budget" they'd actually part with them. Just a thought. : - )

    You always choose the perfect thing, don't sweat this. And I am very happy to learn you are slowly feeling better. What an ordeal. what a crappy long winter it has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked, but she didn't want to sell them. She had many beautiful things that gave me some great ideas. Thanks for the good wishes. I think everyone is happy to see winter leave. Just 2 weeks ago, we had zero temps, and now it's so hot, I've got the windows open.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such a big bathroom! Can't wait to see what you do.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was just thinking the same thing. I could put a round table in the middle of it. I think the room was added in the 80s and tweaked in the 90s and again in the mid-2000s. I am trying to cobble together a history.

      Delete
  6. I think the most elegant change you are making is replacing the tub with that gorgeous free standing tub. The mirror situation is going to work itself out. You have such a sense of style! I like the peacock mirrors. The price is good, and if the size works, they are a similar look to what was there originally. This is a very elegant bath.
    Glad you are on the mend. Be careful using that cane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're checking a local place for prices on a tub/faucet combo (like to buy local, if possible). I also found bird mirrors that were very sweet and springlike. You're so right--the mirrors will work out. Lots of options and many mirrors are on sale right now.

      Delete
  7. What a spacious bathroom. It's a shame that the previous owner didn't ask you if you wanted to buy the mirrors but I see in your comment above the answer to that What a big differences in price on the mirrors and sconces. So glad you are feeling better!
    sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mirrors in that house were stunning. So I really understand. RH had a similar mirror, but it wasn't the same color, was backordered until late spring, and was wickedly expensive. Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I'm much better today! I'm going outside in a bit to see if my daffodils made it through the winter.

      Delete
  8. That bathroom is humungous! ☺ Love where you are going with it as the flooring and new tub IMHO are gorgeous upgrades. On the subject of the mirrors, in an earlier comment on the guest bathroom I suggested using picture frames but now understanding the scales that you need; perhaps you might consider having them custom made by just using a large mirror with an overlay of decorative trim/wainscoting to keep pricing down. (Web search: Home Depot Apron Blog DIY Mirror Frame). That way you could finish them off any way you wish. -Brenda-
    P.S: Glad that you are feeling better and hopefully the ringing in your ears soon disappears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look into custom made. I like the idea of an overlay with trim. No ringing today. Just a little unsteady on my pins. Resting really did help.

      Delete
    2. Michael, correction: that should have read "trim/moulding". Re the subject of your kitchen beadboard ceiling, not sure as to what you propose for its finishing but recall when reading the blog For The Love Of A House (by Joan), she mentioned she used a gloss paint as a little trick to make the ceiling(s) look taller. (Reference: The Kitchen Details January 16/2011).
      Health wise, am glad to hear that you are making progress. Wishing you a beautiful day! -Brenda-

      Delete
    3. I found the post. Very pretty! And very timely. I had planned to use a glossy finish on the beadboard ceiings, but I'm still working out the exact finish. Thank you SO much.

      Delete
    4. Mrs. Ben, I love that blog--I'm now following it on Bloglovin' and Google connect. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Love the bathroom! Mirror: http://www.finehomelamps.com/entwined-gold-round-wall-mirror.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea for the ringing in your ears that is slowly making an exit! That is great news. Your bathroom is going to be gorgeous. I love the tub. I Love taking baths, and that tub looks deep and luxurious. The mirrors are hard to choose, aren't they? You'll find the right ones, with your eye for detail!

    ReplyDelete