Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Ranch Renovation -- Midweek Update

Day by day, the ranchburger has been undergoing a transformation, and I have almost fallen behind with the updates. Medana has faithfully sent photos, and we have been sourcing items via email, searching for the best prices on cabinet knobs, a free-standing tub, and other items. Next week, the painters will arrive, and I'll have more news to report. Let's see what's been going on this week.

The living room now has a beadboard ceiling. I opted for recessed lighting rather than a chandelier, so we would have an uninterrupted sight-line from the foyer to the sunroom (the living space is in between).

The beadboard continues in the sunroom.  

And looking into the sunroom, we have a view of the patio and back yard. The previous owner loved to garden, and I am looking forward to carrying on the tradition (the man in the red shirt is my long-time painter, Donnie Hamilton).

You may recall the carpet in the master bedroom. 


The carpet was removed and wood floors were installed. I opted for site-finished rather than engineered wood. It was less expensive and I was able to choose a custom finish.

The "hers" closet was an unexpected and wonderful feature of this house. 

The carpet was old and stained, so I ran the wood floor in  here, too.

The entrance to the closet opened into the main hall, and it was visible from the living room. Not a biggie, but Murdock suggested that it would be much more convenient for me if we tweaked the entrance. We removed the door, drywalled over the hall space, and cut a door into the master.

Let's move to the guest room. Behind the folding doors is a closet--do you remember the earlier saga of the fake chimney?

The doors were removed, and a vented gas fireplace will be installed. Carpet was removed here, too, replaced with wood. (The draperies and sweet chandelier will stay.) 


If you've been following the renovation, then you know that I've been going back and forth about the Master Bathroom. Since we were replacing carpet in the master bedroom, I decided to run the wood into the bath. I had no idea what a huge difference it would make.

When it came to the fate of the Master Bathroom's wallpaper, I asked my friends to vote on Facebook. I decided to keep the wallpaper and faucets. Here's a peek at the wood floors. (The draperies stay, too.) 

Here's the before:

After.

We ran the wood flooring into the cedar closet, too. (This space opened into a smaller, 70s closet, and it is being turned into a water closet--I'll have an  update soon about that.) 

Moving back to the master bath, here's how it looked when it was staged for resale.


In the shower, the brown and tan tile (metallic border) was removed. I am keeping the ORB shower faucet. Next, I will need to find a neutral subway tile.

Over the weekend, I decided to remove the old whirlpool tub and replace it with a free-standing model. Since the wallpaper is staying, my GC will add wainscoting on the lower walls.
(NOTE: Through the window, you can see the balcony off the mancave--so happy that the wisteria (?) is turning green and running up the trellis. However, the whole area reminds me of Motel 6. My GC has some ideas for a spruce up, and I'll share them later on.)

I opted for a tub and faucet package for a super price. Free shipping and great ratings sealed the deal. The British style "telephone" faucet only came in chrome, and when I checked prices on unfinished brass and antiqued brass (I didn't want ORB), they were almost more expensive than the whole package deal. I'm thrilled with the new tub. My Facebook friends weighed in on mixing metals HERE.



That's it--for today. There's a flurry of activity at the house, so I'll have another update soon. The kitchen cabinets are being "set" and the marble counters are being fabricated. 

Thanks for stopping by!

31 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely everything is. I know your so excited to see it all come together, You have such great decorating skills and everything you select looks terrific. I love the bead board ceilings. I would love to do that in my kitchen.

    Hope your feeling better with each new day - take care of yourself and don't over do.
    Have a great rest of the week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! Yes, I am really taking it easy so I will heal faster. Hope your week is great!

      Delete
  2. Love that tub! I don't get why people even use carpet at all anymore. To me it's like walking on a used Kleenex. You were smart in having lighting that did not impede the view.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for keeping us updated ! Your home looks lovely - what a difference the hardwood makes....
    Take care and feel better fast.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Michale Lee! I just love the wood flooring in the bathroom and that tub! Always wanted one of those. Probably couldn't get in it now as I'm shrinking! :) Now that's such a nice closet. I've not coveting or anything! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! The wood floors look wonderful. Please tell me that the new addition in the cedar closet will mean that you'll have "his and hers" WCs!!! That is my dream! I don't care what it costs, it would be worth it. Hope you're feeling better! A concussion is nasty business and warrants the time you're taking to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new W.C. is one of those makeovers that make you believe in makeovers. I'm excited! The concussion recovery has taken forever, and the least thing can set off the ear ringing.

      Delete
  6. Everything is coming together beautifully. I can't get over how spacious all of your rooms are. I've seen bedrooms in cabins smaller that your closet. I'm a big fan of hardwood floors and how nice that you can have them stained on-site. I suspect that you are getting more and more anxious to get over there (I know I would be), but take good care of yourself & treasure all of the pampering you can get. You'll be good to go in no time, just don't over do it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "hers" closet was originally a bedroom, and later it was used as an exercise room (hence, the elec. plugs in the floor). I was wow'd by it. Maybe the closet will inspire me to get out of my flannel fashion rut!

      Delete
  7. I'd be dizzy just from all that's going on and that's WITHOUT a head injury! :) It looks like things are falling into place now and it will look so loverly! Hope you'll soon be feeling yourself with spring around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you're feeling better, Michael!

    The wood floor made a HUGE difference in the bathroom. I think it's going to be beautiful :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to keep the floors light, no stain. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love the beadboard ceiling, and the master bath looks wonderful so far -- love that tub! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your closet is going to be heavenly, Michael Lee! I'm so glad that you kept the bathroom wallpaper. It's so soothing and timeless. Love the wood floors, too, oh, and the beadboard ceiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of the beadboard celings. I am worried about your drapes...looks like some of the guys maybe knotted them up to get them out of the way. When the floors are sanded...that sawdust will get into the fabric and everything else. I hope you are continuing to improve too. So much is happening at the house...and before you know it, you will be moving in.
    Enjoying the virtual journey!
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be using vacuum bagged floor sanding machines, so the dust won't be quite as bad; I plan to use all of the draperies (love them), and I am worried that the fabric is getting wrinkled and dirty. I need to bring them to my house and lay them out.

      Delete
    2. Re the drapery, provided they are not too soiled I personally would consider just dropping and bag them in plastic to the point they will 'not' be in the way of the trades people otherwise you may have to 'bandage' them again. (If you don't have access to large bags, the use of cheap $-Store plastic table cloths or shower curtains and some masking/painters tape will work just as well.) Afterwards give them a good vacuuming and use a hand steamer on wrinkles. -Brenda-
      Footnote: 'Bandage' is basically a method of using strips of cloth remnants that are applied on drapery in horizontal intervals to set the fall of the panel(s).

      Delete
    3. Thanks! The draperies were a huge reason why I agreed to buy this house. The bags are brilliant.

      Delete
    4. Just a little update: the draperies have been removed, laid flat, and covered. So they'll be safe. Thanks for looking out for me and my draperies!! I had not even noticed.

      Delete
  12. Oh...forgot to mention. There is a great place in northern KY where I shopped for one of our house projects....it is called Signature Hardware. http://www.signaturehardware.com/ I thnk you will ooh and aah over many of their products.
    Sheila E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodie! Thanks so much! Going there now.

      Delete
  13. Your renovation is coming along beautifully. The bead board ceiling and the new floors are wonderful! Thanks for linking to the Share Your Style party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. To mix or not to mix metals .... that is the question? ☺ IMHO I think it is a matter of preference and where they are located. That said, though many manufacturers state chrome and oil rubbed bronze are timeless I personally like keeping metals in the same family broken down into the categories of warm and cold with varying finishes. As far the fixtures of your new bath tub are concerned as the tub is an alcove and with it being paired with the two mirrors, I feel it will blend beautifully. -Brenda-
    P.S: Re directing you to 'Joan's' blog; you are more than welcome. I thought you would like it since you and her share the same love to renovate and have an impeccable eye for decorating. I also love how she is not intimidated by mixing high and low ends nor is she afraid to improvise which speaks volumes to me about her creativity. (As you are going with Marble counter tops; ensure that you read her post about it which is located on her side bar.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love everything!!! We are thinking about remodeling our bathroom, foyer and upstairs hall and it makes me tired just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is stressful. After I move, I will still be living in a construction zone--inside and out--but the big projects will be out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the long run, I think you will be happiest with white subway tile; it's classic. When we remodeled our master bath, we added a shower seat and a handicapped grab bar. They have come in handy and let's face it, we are all getting older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a great idea to add a grab bar! Thanks.

      Delete
  18. Your floors are beautiful! That's surprising that they're less expensive than engineered flooring. I love the look of your better, too. Everything you're doing is tasteful, classic, and traditional. I love that! I hope you and your family have many happy years there. :-)

    ReplyDelete