Sunday, March 22, 2015

Renovation Diary Update

 Two steps forward, ten back--that pretty much defines the remodeling process. The decisions are extra tricky because I must think ahead about the decor. It's hard to choose paint colors, finishes, and fixtures when I'm not 100% certain about the ranch's eventual style--or colors--yet it's part of the process. If my GC had to wait for me to decide, the house would be shrouded in cobwebs. 

Since I've been house bound, I've bought a few items online. That can be a crap shoot. I bought slipcovers for the dining chairs.


Next, I ordered two bird mirrors that were on sale. One arrived shattered, and the company dispatched another right away and told me to ditch the box. A bird's tail was broken on the second mirror, but Bandy said he can glue it. 


Sconces arrived, too, but I'm not sure if they are keepers.

These items were bought for the Master Bath, mainly because I want to keep my options open. I'd like to see how the mirrors look with the old and "new" sconces.
I decided to buy the bird and twig mirror because it echoed the twiggy wallpaper.

Bandy isn't fond of the paint color in his room, but we have a little time. I like the color, but it's his room. Me, I think the fan needs updating. We'll see. (The draperies have been removed, covered, and stored for safekeeping.)

Below, you can see the white oak flooring in a small guest room.

This is the Jack 'n Jill bath that connects to Bandy's room.


A peek at the kitchen cabinets. Still haven't chosen hardware, but that decision can wait until the room shapes up a bit.


Note: All of these cabinets will have doors. I am putting open shelves in the laundry room, though.

Love the beadboard ceiling and cedar shake on the porch. Last week, I selected an exterior trim color while I was sick as a cat, so I hope it will be okay (BM White Dove).

The plan is to run the cedar shake on the porch, then see if I want to continue it on the wings. 
I'll also need to decide about the windows--four in each wing. They are plate glass, not insulated; if I don't replace them before I move, chances are I will never do it. We've already replaced a few windows with Simpson doors (below), and I love how they look. Next week, they'll be primed with BM White Dove.


A heap of gardening awaits. Looking forward to it.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Your well wishes have really cheered me up.

Photos by Bandwidth.
Slipcovers: Pom Pom at Home (link by request; not an affiliate sales link)




Shared at:
The Scoop,  

32 comments:

  1. I'm loving the textures on the porch! And your kitchen is going to be incredible. It is undergoing as dramatic a transformation as did your current kitchen. This may be your specialty....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yolie, I've been feeling muddled about this house, and you are putting my mind at ease. (Did you see the Motel 6 view? :-) If not, I'm going to post about it later this spring. Thank you for cheering me up!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Yolie. Dramatic transformation going on. In love with the bark frame mirrors with the birds. Totally charming! The kitchen is gorgeous with the beadboard ceiling, that wall of cabinets with the open shelves looks terrific, and the porch textures are incredible. You have a wonderful eye for detail. I'm in awe of this entire process. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cabs are getting doors, and now I'm wondering if there are too many doors.I didn't do any glass, either. I do love the bird mirrors.

      Delete
  3. I started a comment and it went off into space...ha. I know that I will love everything you choose. The kitchen will so so great...I can tell. I want your cabinet space! Really I do! Also, I like the neutral gray of your son's room. Once other items are added the gray will be a nice calm backdrop. Also, your white is a nice shade too.
    Poor bird's tail...oh my. I hate when things get damaged before or during shipment. It has happened to be with Pottery Barn queen anne chairs, and Ballards mirrors. Both were gracious and replaced...but it is a bother to have to deal with the logistics. Everything looks great...and you are doing a fantastic job, especially since you are not well. I guess there is no good time to be under the weather, but really, now? While you are planning to move?
    Continued wishes that you feel better soon. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to move this summer. I had been packing two boxes a day, but that's been halted for now. Frustrating.

      Delete
  4. I do like the variety of textures you are showing on the exterior. Nice! So many times you just see one thing. I also love the white oak flooring and the bathroom floor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad that you had the birdie frames sent to see how they're going to look. I think they make a perfect addition with the twiggy wallpaper, and they add a touch of whimsy. It looks like things are really shaping up.
    I hope you're feeling much better, Michael Lee! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard deciding all these things when building or renovating. I think I choose a lot faster than you though. I usually go with my first choice. The more you look the more you get confused and second guess everything. Love the ceiling and that huge cabinet in the kitchen. What great storage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mirrors and they look so good with the wall paper. I really like your beadboard ceiling, your kitchen is going to be a show stopper.
    So sorry you are under the weather, but even sick you are doing one great job on your choices. Thank God for on line shopping.
    Have a great week and feel better.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the birdy frame - so whimsical and perfect! What fun you are having - I know it's frustrating, but just remember - it's fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you chose those twiggy mirrors...perfect! And I love your slipcovers! I am enjoying watching your process. Your kitchen will be fabulous! Are all the vertical divisions in your cabinet for platters? Hope you are feeling better! Hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debbie! Yes, for baking trays and platters.

      Delete
  10. The cedar shakes really turned out well and are absolutely perfect in every way. I can't wait to see how the mirrors will actually look in your bathroom. You're a great on-line shopper. I have more flubs that winners. I'm not fond of the ceiling fan in Bandy's room either. But as you said, it's his room. I can't get over all of the progress.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michael Lee! This is so exciting going through this with you. I'm trying my best to not be jealous over your kitchen. :) It's going to be glorious! Everything is looking so pretty! Do you have an estimated 'it's done, let's move in' date yet? I know you're excited. Thanks for popping in to see my little curtains.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful choice on the bird mirror and glad it worked out re scale. Anxious to see your completed kitchen as know it will be amazing. -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I'm not sure the mirrors are the right scale--haven't taken them to the ranch. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  13. Hi Michael!!!

    Hope your feeling better.....I'm so in love with what you are doing in the house! The kitchen is beautiful....the mirrors - Love them!!! and I love the idea of the doors! Can't wait to see more....Should be in Traditional Home! Take care of yourself first - the house will fall in place....

    Country Hugs,
    Lois@pineridgehills.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great progress...I've been following but not commenting. :)

    Could you share the source of your dining chair slipcovers? Please?

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ann.They're made by Pom Pom at Home. Here's a link: http://www.pompomathome.com/

      Delete
  15. Just beautiful ! I am so loving and enjoying the renovation updates - Living vicariously through you ! You have wonderful taste, and I love everything you've done/are doing.....You can not go wrong with BM White Dove. Hope you will continue to feel better every day - time does heal all wounds.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what is happening so far...the cedar shakes are such a great look...It has to be so hard to decide on everything when you are struggling with other decisions....however, so far, it is looking pretty amazing...love the photo of the back of the house...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The progress is great! The mirrors are darling and I think they'll look great with the existing sconces depending on the scale. You can't go wrong with Dove White. What with all the gardening you have planned, you'd better be getting ample rest in order to tackle it all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow lots of great ideas going on here. I do like the twiggy mirrors- too bad they have shipping issues with them. Love your kitchen. I immediately though of pewter handles with those half curved drawer pulls that your fingers kind of go up under as you pull them. I hope you are feeling better.
    I need something explained though...are you leaving that big beautiful home that you just finished the kitchen in to move here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it still tugs at my heart. The whole story is explained here (scroll down to the bottom for links): http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/2015/01/renovation-diary-tweaking-ranchburgers.html

      Delete
  19. What a beautiful house!! You have done a great job!! So lovely
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! There's been a lot of progress. I love the mirrors you chose, Michael. I hope they work :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  21. This will be amazing! love the cabinetry and those mirrors...with birdies!! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks great Michael Lee. I love the cedar shake. Thanks for joining HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete