Sunday, April 5, 2015

Of Bunnies and Bakers

 The best-laid plans of bunnies and bakers can go astray. 
That's what happened when I decided to not bake a cake in my bunny mold. 



I whipped up a triple batch of cornbread and poured it into the greased pan. I had low expectations. Considering all that's happened, I wouldn't have been surprised if my bunny turned into a plague of frogs. I assumed the batter would overflow, but I was in Little Miss Prepared mode and set the mold on a jelly roll pan. The batter stayed put. When the bunny's ears began to brown, I covered them gently with tin foil. So far, so good. I took the pan from the oven, and while the bunny cooled, I used the leftover batter to make savory pancakes. 

Everything was fine until I unmolded the cornbread. I tried to be oh-so careful, but the bunny's ear and tail snapped off. I wasn't shocked, not one bit. I had two boxes of cake mix on the shelf and plenty of time to bake something normal. Not going to stress. Nope. Bandy arrived and helped me patch the bunny with butter and toothpicks; but that tail just wouldn't stay put. If life gives you a broken cornbread bunny, garnish it with tulips and chives.

Still, it was a fun experiment. Most of the bunny was intact; the cornbread was delicious and cute (cornbread is rarely cute, so I was tickled). If you took away the flowers, he reminded me of a beachcombing bunny, getting a suntan at Gulf Shores.

A cornbread bunny is a welcome addition to my Southern table.


***
It's hard to believe that Easter is almost over. It just swooped in. But it brought the best surprise ever: spring. The afternoons are getting longer, and the world around us is warming. I'm so thankful that winter is in my rear view. My yard took a beating, but we'll get through it. I'm looking forward to moving my lavender to the ranch and planting vegetables in the raised beds. My new motto is:

I hope your day is superb. 
Happy Easter!


Shared at my favorite link-ups:
The Scoop,  

32 comments:

  1. That is THE most precious edible bunny I've ever seen. And he's cornbread? Well that makes him even tastier. Very clever & adorable presentation of the Easter bunny at the beach. Hope you have a blessed Easter.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cute presentation of your bunny. Next time put toothpicks in the batter to hold the ears and tail so they won't break when un-panning.
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bunny came out adorable, the styling is stunning, go back and edit out the damaged parts you shared, we are so dazzled I had to look for broken bits... Mums the word, quick, delete, delete, delete! Judging from the pics you are having a fabulous day, just off to walk the dogs with rain hovering then home to see what damage I can inflict in the kitchen... to bad I am not home to camouflage with garden fresh flowers... happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank goodness for Ribbet's clone feature. Happy Easter!

      Delete
  4. Ps did you remove your pin button on the bottom of your posts? I miss it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other bits that went along with it were malfunctioning. I think I can still use the Pinterest pin, though. I'll add it next time.

      Delete
  5. Not only is he adorable sitting in the meadow of chives and sunny tulips, but I much prefer cornbread to a sweet cake. Our Easter morning is grey and misty, but we are off to a delicious brunch with friends. Guess we won't have an egg hunt. Ha!
    Wishing you a healthy, sunny, colorful spring, Michael Lee. Happy Easter! ~ Sarah and Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you made a cornbread bunny! And thank you for reminding us of the beauty in imperfections. We are overwhelmed with images of perfection every day. But there is so much more charm and personality when something is a little imperfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you made a cornbread bunny! And thank you for reminding us how much beauty there is in imperfections. On a daily basis, we are inundated with perfect images. So nice to be reminded how much charm and beauty there is in things that are less than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Cute! I hope you are having a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww! He is still cute, especially surrounded with the beautiful tulips.
    Happy Easter to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It may have been trouble, but it is really cute. I'm now tempted to get this mold myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No cornbread bunny every looked better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bunny cornbread brought such a smile to my face. Just delightful!

    Happy Easter.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your cornbread bunny!!! Tail or no tail:) The presentation is adorable!! Hope you had a great day, we sure did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is a cute bunny, broken or not!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A cornbread bunny and he is as cute as pie.......what a clever idea...........and it made a very nice table display as well
    as tasting yummy.........Liked the way you decorated his plate up as well. Just darling.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  16. THIS is the cutest bunny ever! Today is going to be a great day!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that was a great idea...never thought to make cornbread in a decorative mold...so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, you sweet ladies, for the kind words and well wishes. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a nice idea! I always make GF cornbread for my daughter-in-law and grandsons, who are gluten free, and next Easter I'll make it in a bunny pan I have from Williams Sonoma.

    ReplyDelete
  20. He is adorable, broken tail, ear and all! I know how frustrating it can be though when it doesn't turn out like you want. But you improvised perfectly and no one was the wiser! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now this is such a cute idea! I might even get the little grands to eat cornbread if I bribed them with munching on bunny ears! Hope you had a wonderful Easter!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow what a pretty bunny cake you made. I love it nestled with the flowers and chives. Hope you had a nice Easter and are enjoying the week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's the UN-MOLDING that gets us every single time....;(
    he's really cute, tho, and I love cornbread with a passion so I know he tasted wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is absolutely adorable!
    Pinning for the next year :)

    I hope you'll find the time to link up with us this week:
    http://milaslittlethings.com/2015/04/idea-box-thursday-link-party-5.html

    xx
    Mila

    ReplyDelete
  25. Only you would serve cornbread with a side of tulips and chives, too darn cute to eat, even with a repaired tail! Hope your Easter was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Michael, Your bunny is sweet, sweet, sweet. The presentation is as cute as can be and gave me a world of ideas. Thank you for sharing your Easter Bunny with us. Bunny is a charmer.
    I am so glad Winter is gone for now.
    May you have a blessed Spring,
    d

    ReplyDelete